It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teaching Math Through The Generations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
1.. Teaching Math In 1960's - A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2.. Teaching Math In 1970's - A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3.. Teaching Math In 1980's - A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit? Yes or No

4.. Teaching Math In 1990's - A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5.. Teaching Math In 2000's - A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's okay).

It's funny because it's the truth.

I hope you got a giggle for your day.

edit on 9/11/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

But wait!!! Your math test is biased against city folk. They don't have forests.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

But wait!!! Your math test is biased against city folk. They don't have forests.

Damned PC nonsense... Trade forest for topiary...

Good catch.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

Good catch.

Thanks to the edit, your test has more validity-- even though it gives Disney characters an advantage over regular folk. Their handicap (brains baked in the sun) counteracts any extra points they may have scored by knowing what topiary is.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Hehehe...stars to ya both..

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

Good catch.

Thanks to the edit, your test has more validity-- even though it gives Disney characters an advantage over regular folk. Their handicap (brains baked in the sun) counteracts any extra points they may have scored by knowing what topiary is.

I suppose that will have to be ok. Everyone gets a participation ribbon anyway. So everyone wins and nobody loses. It doesn't really matter if you even put your name on the test. As long as your body is present... You're a winner.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

These young kids, well adults, truly aren't to bright when it comes to general arithmetic
Especially when working a cash register

A few months ago, we were getting lunch and the total was $13.46 so I gave the girl a $20
No big deal....right?? WRONG

She accidentally keyed in the 'exact change' button and was just about to panic because she didn't know what to do about my change
Well I waited a few minutes thinking she would figure it out but when she started to freak out I just said, 'Well, .46 from $1.00 would be .54 so that makes it $14, and then figure in the difference of $14 from $20... so the change would be $6.54

She was like, 'Oh cool, counting backwards' like it was a new phenomenon
I was like 'No, it's basic math', duh

And if you reaaally want to mess with them, just throw in that penny or say .06 for a $13.46 sale--oh yeah, that messes them up big time
Can't tell you how many times they never include that when ringing cash tender up because they don't understand the change deal and end up giving me back that plus the regular change

Oh yea, how Math has changed.....*sigh*
Or rather the teachers/schools maybe

edit on 11-9-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
wait till common core teaches math. Then 2+2 will equal 22!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: CHinauser
wait till common core teaches math. Then 2+2 will equal 22!

OK...
That...that was freakishly funny and scary all in one.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

These young kids, well adults, truly aren't to bright when it comes to general arithmetic
Especially when working a cash register

A few months ago, we were getting lunch and the total was $13.46 so I gave the girl a $20
No big deal....right?? WRONG

She accidentally keyed in the 'exact change' button and was just about to panic because she didn't know what to do about my change
Well I waited a few minutes thinking she would figure it out but when she started to freak out I just said, 'Well, .46 from $1.00 would be .56 so that makes it $14, and then figure in the difference of $14 from $20... so the change would be $6.54

She was like, 'Oh cool, counting backwards' like it was a new phenomenon
I was like 'No, it's basic math', duh

And if you reaaally want to mess with them, just throw in that penny or say .06 for a $13.46 sale--oh yeah, that messes them up big time
Can't tell you how many times they never include that when ringing cash tender up because they don't understand the change deal and end up giving me back that plus the regular change

Oh yea, how Math has changed.....*sigh*
Or rather the teachers/schools maybe

I make the mistake of biting my tongue...
And let them keep the change just so I can get out....

But then I look back and say.. did anyone learn from this?

edit on 11-9-2014 by Bigburgh because: strange it did not separate the what you said i said i'll draw a line devide the 2

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Make sure the last --/quote-- is at the end of the posters comment before you make yours
Needless to say, I've done it before too, like right now. LOL

As for making change, sometimes I'll just shake my head at them and let it go

edit on 11-9-2014 by snarky412 because: oops, problem with quote myself....ugh

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
2010s add on: And keep in mind, if you are white then its your fault all the birds and squirrels no longer have a home. Its ok to feel guilty if youre white, but dont cry because thats offensive to your non white classmates who have accomplished so much in the face of incalculable odds so your miniscule problems are nothing compared to what they go through on a day to day basis, because of you. Maybe not anything you, yourself did, personally. Its just that your existence is offensive, and painful to all non whites around you, causing them undue stress and frustration.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I had a great math education considering on top of high school i had four college math class, now i have trouble adding two digit numbers, i blame Steve Jobs and his convenient smart phone always around to make me not think in the slightness, 27 + 49 wait a second (pull phone out), what date was 9-11 wait a min (Wikipedia will tell me it was 9-11)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

On Saturday we went to a certain pizza/play establishment for my daughter where you cash in tickets to get a receipt which you hand over for crappy little prizes. My daughter had one receipt for 100 and one for 19 to add together. And, I watched in dismay as the young clerk grabbed his calculator and keyed it in. He looked at it, then deleted and punched it in again. Then, with some uncertainty, he informed my kid of how many tickets she had to spend.

My kid struggles with math. I don't want that to be her in a few years. We practice it daily, but it's a definitely a challenge for her.

edit on 11-9-2014 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I know, right?! It's not Rocket Science... and sadly, it never will be. I guess our Rocket Scientists and Einsteins will have to come from another country from now on???

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Geez... I've been there and done that. If you decide you have the correct change (coin wise) after they have hit the button, they really struggle to figure out what they need to do. I feel embarrassed for them when I see it because I know they have to be somewhat embarrassed themselves trying to work it out in front of people.

I think it's a combination of the schools, teachers, and parents not having the time (or not even caring) to teach these children how to use math in everyday situations. Many are certainly ill equipped lately.

originally posted by: MojaveBurning

On Saturday we went to a certain pizza/play establishment for my daughter where you cash in tickets to get a receipt which you hand over for crappy little prizes. My daughter had one receipt for 100 and one for 19 to add together. And, I watched in dismay as the young clerk grabbed his calculator and keyed it in. He looked at it, then deleted and punched it in again. Then, with some uncertainty, he informed my kid of how many tickets she had to spend.

My kid struggles with math. I don't want that to be her in a few years. We practice it daily, but it's a definitely a challenge for her.

I did a thread on common core a few days back and was talking about how my daughter struggles with math as well. I did too. I could add and subtract all day, divide, etc. but got lost as soon as the alphabet was introduced. My mind just could not wrap itself around the fact that there were now letters mixed in with my numbers. I struggled hard with it so I had pity for her even though I am sure she didn't think so. Thankfully my husband is good at math so he could help when I couldn't.

I think a lot of kids struggle with it and are either too embarrassed to ask for help, or the teachers are too busy to give it.

I get it. It's hard to watch your child struggle with it for sure.

edit on 9/11/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Off topic...

As a joke thread, I don't feel too bad for asking you to check your privates.

You'll figure it out.

Anyways, I wish the word "lumber" was replaced with "hemp". Sorry, after I found out that cheesy helps cut down the rainforest, I lost it, lol.

S+F

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Off topic...

As a joke thread, I don't feel too bad for asking you to check your privates.

You'll figure it out.

Anyways, I wish the word "lumber" was replaced with "hemp". Sorry, after I found out that cheesy helps cut down the rainforest, I lost it, lol.

S+F

I'm appalled at your reference to my privates.

Here I was... Thinking you were ignoring me for weeks and it was because you didn't check your privates first.

I thank you kindly.

And I'll do a hemp version just for you. In a few years I'll do a plastic one too. lol

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I graduated high school in 04, and the majority of the math classes I had taken up until that point were excellent. They only seemed easy when you knew the material, which had to be learned. Most subjects seemed to come naturally for me, but anything dealing with mathematics I had to really work at. It got more difficult at the college level, and to be honest it was just hit or miss depending on the specific type of mathematics. Some aspects of mathematics I could do easily, while others I cannot seem to grasp despite putting in the effort. I've never had to work as a cashier, but I would be willing to bet that a simple problem that I could easily solve in my head right now would confound me when introducing the anxiety aspect of being put on the spot in front of people. But that is probably more of a personal issue, as I've always had anxiety problems. Any time I have to do certain things in front of people I tense up. My blood pressure will go up every single time I go to the doctor and have it taken for instance. I tell myself not to get nervous in certain situations, and then I definitely get nervous.

My point is that it is not a given that public education is failing these kids, because there are other factors that might need to be taken into consideration. Perhaps they are supposed to key everything in to the register, as it might keep track of every dime they bring in, thus by doing it in their head without keying it in they might get in trouble. That is just another thing to consider. I've heard many make the claim that public education is horrible nowadays, but personally I never witnessed that throughout my public school experience.

In fact, the standardized tests we had to take in high school before we could graduate seemed pretty easy to me. I was in the last class to take those tests, as they were implementing new ones the next year. So we got to use the old test as our standard, but also got to be part of some experiment to benchmark the new tests. And those new tests were much more difficult than the previous exams, which had been in place for quite a while. I remember that it made me think that perhaps they were actually going to start making the material and classes more difficult, as opposed to making them easier. And that was a standardized test for the entire state, which would mean they would have to increase the material learned across the whole state, meaning it was not just in my previous school.
edit on 9/22/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join