It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honolulu to move homeless people from tourist hubs into former internment camps/waste dumps.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

You've done it again! You've created a post that contains mostly your words and and a few of my words and attributed the entire post to me. Stop it!

Now I'll respond to some of YOUR comments: Yes it is up to us to figure out what to do with the homeless who are incapacitated by alcohol/addiction and mental illness. Their behavior affects us.

I don't know how you could have been exposed to drunks and have concluded that they're great people.

I agree that most shelters are dangerous places.

I haven't "picked on" the homeless people. The topic was the homeless situation in Honolulu. I simply responded to it.

I agree that the Social Services programs are inadequate and poorly designed.

PTSD is a mental illness.

Public housing does exist, although not nearly enough. Homeless people sometimes do get public housing although the alcoholics/addicts and mentally ill tend to get evicted. That's the issue I raised.

I don't think Honolulu intends to capture and imprison the homeless at some location. I think the intent is to create a place where they can live and enforce laws against loitering, etc. to prevent them from staying on the streets where they are now. I imagine they'll have several options: Live in the new place, get arrested for loitering,etc. and go to jail, or leave Honolulu. What would you expect Honolulu to do?

You asked me to answer your questions and I did. Take it or leave it it is what it is. Now STOP beating the dead horse acting as if I can wave a wand and magically fix this.

Winos are cool with me. They will watch your car if you give them a buck. And like I said they are the grapevine. My experience with them has been pleasant.

Public housing is a disaster. The projects of Chicago are a prime example. You cannot annex and cavort people off to their own conclave nd expect them to be able to merge with others in the population when divides are commonplace. Integrated housing is better for all.

I won't count PTSD as a mental illness. It's a relatively new term and only marketed toward a certain type of vet. I know a lot of people with PTSD from being homeless and they are not mental cases. They are just bitter and tired of being thrown to the dogs.

I think Honolulu is going to round them up, capture them, and put them in modernized internment camps. That or throw them in a boat and send them to the West Coast. I'm not taking corporate interests too lightly here. That is what is fueling this. What do I expect from Honolulu - I expect them to go after the corporations and force them to make better employment available. With millions of dollas of money being generated from tourism, there is no excuse the island should have such a high unemployment rate.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: ArchPlayer

You are acting as if I wrote the news article, which DEFINITELY STATED former internment camp/former waste dump.

No. The article says this:

The city also is planning a temporary legal campsite on a remote, mostly industrial island far from resorts, parts of which were previously used as an internment camp and former dump.

I don't know about you, but a waste dump is toxic to me.
The term "toxic waste dump" carries a certain connotation. But fine, where did the article say that the camp would be on the dump site?

In Chicago they built nice affordable low cost housing and a big church (House of Hope) on the Old Sherman Williams waste dump.
Which was, indeed, a "toxic waste dump." But in spite of Sand Island covering 500 acres, and in spite of having no idea where on that 500 acres the dump was and where the facility is planned, you assume that the facility will be on the location of the dump.

You express concerns about the welfare of those who may use the site because at one time there was an internment camp on the island. Why? The internment camp is long gone.

Honolulu to move homeless people from tourist hubs into former internment camps/waste dumps
Was there a toxic waste dump on Sand Island or did you make it up? Will the camp be located where the city dump was, or did you make it up? Will the homeless be moved into non-existant internment camps or did you make it up?

Instead of bashing me, bash them. THEY RELEASED IT.
And you spun the hell out of what they actually said.

What's your solution? Be kind to the homeless by allowing them to live on the sidewalks in Waikiki and downtown? Buy them all homes?

The article said which you requoted that they would be removed to FORMER internment camps/Waste dump. I have explained that in depth.

I am not from Hawaii. I have no idea what it looks like. I have no idea what Sand Island is. I am presenting an article, and quoting what was said in the article. Are you from out there? Please, enlighten us all and upload pictures of these sites.

A former internment camp is still AN INTERNMENT CAMP. A former waste dump site is still TOXIC. Waste normally is.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

You are acting as if I wrote the news article, which DEFINITELY STATED former internment camp/former waste dump.

No. The article says this:

The city also is planning a temporary legal campsite on a remote, mostly industrial island far from resorts, parts of which were previously used as an internment camp and former dump.

I don't know about you, but a waste dump is toxic to me.
The term "toxic waste dump" carries a certain connotation. But fine, where did the article say that the camp would be on the dump site?

In Chicago they built nice affordable low cost housing and a big church (House of Hope) on the Old Sherman Williams waste dump.
Which was, indeed, a "toxic waste dump." But in spite of Sand Island covering 500 acres, and in spite of having no idea where on that 500 acres the dump was and where the facility is planned, you assume that the facility will be on the location of the dump.

You express concerns about the welfare of those who may use the site because at one time there was an internment camp on the island. Why? The internment camp is long gone.

Honolulu to move homeless people from tourist hubs into former internment camps/waste dumps
Was there a toxic waste dump on Sand Island or did you make it up? Will the camp be located where the city dump was, or did you make it up? Will the homeless be moved into non-existant internment camps or did you make it up?

Instead of bashing me, bash them. THEY RELEASED IT.
And you spun the hell out of what they actually said.

What's your solution? Be kind to the homeless by allowing them to live on the sidewalks in Waikiki and downtown? Buy them all homes?

The article said which you requoted that they would be removed to FORMER internment camps/Waste dump. I have explained that in depth.

I am not from Hawaii. I have no idea what it looks like. I have no idea what Sand Island is. I am presenting an article, and quoting what was said in the article. Are you from out there? Please, enlighten us all and upload pictures of these sites.

A former internment camp is still AN INTERNMENT CAMP. A former waste dump site is still TOXIC. Waste normally is.

Do you know what the word former means?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I am presenting an article, and quoting what was said in the article.

Yes, you quoted the article then made of lot of statements of your own.
Statements which were not in the article. Statements for which you made things up. Statements like the title of this thread.

Honolulu to move homeless people from tourist hubs into former internment camps/waste dumps.
The article doesn't say that. Did you make it up?
edit on 9/13/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Statements which were not in the article. Statements for which you made things up. Statements like the title of this thread.

This is just another case of someone starting a thread to vent rather than consider actual facts and engage in constructive discussion.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

This is just another case of someone starting a thread to vent rather than consider actual facts and engage in constructive discussion.

This is a case of people ignoring presented facts, and pissed off that there is no magical wand being waived for a cure. I don't know about out there, where I'm from if you live on a former waste dump, you're getting sick, and THAT was my point.

Another case of "sweeping the problem under the rug" to fit people's insecurities and personal prejudices about homelessness in some of the responses I've read.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

This is a case of people ignoring presented facts, and pissed off that there is no magical wand being waived for a cure.
The facts presented do not state that the facility would be on the grounds of the former dump or that it would use a former internment camp. A magic wand would be nice to help the homeless. What's your "cure."

I don't know about out there, where I'm from if you live on a former waste dump, you're getting sick, and THAT was my point.
Except that you made up the part the facility being on a former waste dump.

edit on 9/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The facts presented do not state that the facility would be on the grounds of the former dump or that it would use a former internment camp. A magic wand would be nice to help the homeless. What's your "cure."

A] www.huffingtonpost.com...

The $400 billion program to create a fleet of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets, which, as The Hill points out, is seven years behind schedule and chronically plagued with misfortunes and incompetencies, could have housed every homeless person in the U.S. with a $600,000 home.

let's do world hunger tomorrow phage

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

That $400 billion program provided a lot of people with jobs...and homes.

edit on 9/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

a reply to: douglas5

That $400 billion program provided a lot of people with jobs...and homes.

As they said in the 60s and 70 s make love not war and it is a lot cheaper

We have the same problem in the u.k the national debt has doubled in the last 6 years from £ 700 billion to £1.4 trillion and that is with 35% cuts to all department's

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
a reply to: Phage

A] www.huffingtonpost.com...

The $400 billion program to create a fleet of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets, which, as The Hill points out, is seven years behind schedule and chronically plagued with misfortunes and incompetencies, could have housed every homeless person in the U.S. with a $600,000 home.

let's do world hunger tomorrow phage

As much as half of all the food produced in the world – equivalent to 2bn tonnes – ends up as waste every year, engineers warned in a report published on Thursday.

The UK's Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) blames the "staggering" new figures in its analysis on unnecessarily strict sell-by dates, buy-one-get-one free and Western consumer demand for cosmetically perfect food, along with "poor engineering and agricultural practices", inadequate infrastructure and poor storage facilities.

In the face of United Nations predictions that there could be about an extra 3 billion people to feed by the end of the century and growing pressure on the resources needed to produce food, including land, water and energy, the IMechE is calling for urgent action to tackle this waste.

Their report, Global Food; Waste Not, Want Not, found that between 30% and 50% or 1.2-2bn tonnes of food produced around the world never makes it on to a plate.

In the UK as much as 30% of vegetable crops are not harvested due to their failure to meet retailers' exacting standards on physical appearance, it says, while up to half of the food that is bought in Europe and the US is thrown away by consumers.
www.theguardian.com...

Right phage that is the homeless sorted last night and the starving fed tonight , i think i might tackle poverty next

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

This is a case of people ignoring presented facts, and pissed off that there is no magical wand being waived for a cure.

I don't know about out there, where I'm from if you live on a former waste dump, you're getting sick, and THAT was my point.
Except that you made up the part the facility being on a former waste dump.

What part of "former waste dump" don't you get Phage. I am not going to repeat my sentiments on this.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join