It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama, in Speech, Outlines Significant Expansion of ISIS Fight

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well this was a 'neat trick'.

Considering Obama is still speaking.

WASHINGTON — President Obama said Wednesday night that he was ordering a significantly expanded military campaign against Sunni militants in the Middle East that includes American airstrikes in Syria and the deployment of nearly 500 more military advisers to Iraq. But he sought to dispel fears that the United States was embarking on a repeat of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

n a televised speech to the nation from the State Floor of the White House, Mr. Obama said the United States was recruiting a global coalition to “degrade and ultimately destroy” the militants, from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. He warned that the effort would require years of sustained effort.

www.nytimes.com...

Did the NYtimes get a transcript already ?
edit on 10-9-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I believe news agencies are often given a transcript a bit early so they can produce comments immediately following the speech and don't have to ad-lib on air.

In terms of the actual speech, to me it sounded like almost nothing new, except airstrikes in Syria.

Oh, and I liked how he gave the US (and by extension, himself) credit for solving Ukraine, curing ebola, basically everything.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

He told a big lie to start things off.
He said that 'ISIL' are not Muslim.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBlackTiger
And here I was worried about Ebola.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Oh, and I liked how he gave the US (and by extension, himself) credit for solving Ukraine, curing ebola, basically everything.

He is a master bullsnipper.

Who else could tie ebola and ISIS together ?

God help us all.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

What strategy!
He is going to fight ISIS and help the 'moderate' terrorists that sold one of our citizens to ISIS for them to behead.
He will get in trouble trying to play angle in Syria.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Did the NYtimes get a transcript already ?

Good chance they got the script before Obama did.

In fact, I bet Obama first saw this on the teleprompter.

Had he been briefed ahead of time, he wouldn't have remembered anyway.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

He is a master bullsnipper.

Who else could tie ebola and ISIS together ?

God help us all.
i am surprised that he didn't claim that he solved world hunger, global warming and invent cold fusion too.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

What strategy!
He is going to fight ISIS and help the 'moderate' terrorists that sold one of our citizens to ISIS for them to behead.
He will get in trouble trying to play angle in Syria.

And even if they give the guns and missiles and whatever else to the right people at first, where will this stuff wind up? Who will eventually wind up with it?

Furthermore, how much does this stuff cost? What does just 1 military issue automatic rifle cost?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

No doubt:

“It is clear to me that we need to train and equip Syrian rebels and other groups in the Middle East that need some help. It is called Title 10 authority. The President has tried to get that from us and we should give it to him. That is one way of helping to build an international coalition. Congress should do that,” said Reid.

downtrend.com...

The president, citing his authority under the Arms Export Control Act, announced today that he would "waive the prohibitions in sections 40 and 40A of the AECA related to such a transaction."

Those two sections prohibit sending weaponry to countries described in section 40(d): "The prohibitions contained in this section apply with respect to a country if the Secretary of State determines that the government of that country has repeatedly provided support for acts of international terrorism," Congress stated in the Arms Control Export Act.

washingtonexaminer.com...

Rather interesting what the guy whose got a pen, and a phone is so 'concerned' with congress now.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
speech September 10...American public support...Nil. False flag September 11!

I Dunno, maybe I'm reaching?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well, now that that's done... Who's up for some golf?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse

I don't normally get in on stuff like this, and to be honest I'm 98% sure that tomorrow will be a perfectly ordinary day.

But I sort of wondered this too. Like maybe he waited til 9pm on September 10, so that it's fresh on everyone's mind that Obama said he is not putting boots on the ground.

So that tomorrow, if something were to go down, it'd be the people, and congress, and he'd only reluctantly agree to actually go to war...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Here are parts of the his speech for those who missed it:

As Commander-in-Chief, my highest priority is the security of the American people. Over the last several years, we have consistently taken the fight to terrorists who threaten our country. We took out Osama bin Laden and much of al Qaeda’s leadership in Afghanistan and Pakistan. We’ve targeted al Qaeda’s affiliate in Yemen, and recently eliminated the top commander of its affiliate in Somalia. We’ve done so while bringing more than 140,000 American troops home from Iraq, and drawing down our forces in Afghanistan, where our combat mission will end later this year. Thanks to our military and counterterrorism professionals, America is safer.

That isn't true AQ just either changed their names or join ISIS.

Now let’s make two things clear: ISIL is not “Islamic.” No religion condones the killing of innocents, and the vast majority of ISIL’s victims have been Muslim. And ISIL is certainly not a state. It was formerly al Qaeda’s affiliate in Iraq, and has taken advantage of sectarian strife and Syria’s civil war to gain territory on both sides of the Iraq-Syrian border. It is recognized by no government, nor the people it subjugates. ISIL is a terrorist organization, pure and simple. And it has no vision other than the slaughter of all who stand in its way.

They think their religion does. Hence the 'jihad'.

In a region that has known so much bloodshed, these terrorists are unique in their brutality. They execute captured prisoners. They kill children. They enslave, rape, and force women into marriage. They threatened a religious minority with genocide. In acts of barbarism, they took the lives of two American journalists – Jim Foley and Steven Sotloff

Their relgious intepretation says that's fine.

So ISIL poses a threat to the people of Iraq and Syria, and the broader Middle East – including American citizens, personnel and facilities. If left unchecked, these terrorists could pose a growing threat beyond that region – including to the United States.

Yes they do pose a threat to the US, but they have been left unchecked ever since Obama took over.

Read the rest:

www.weeklystandard.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse
We don't have long to wait for the answer to that question anyway.
good luck tomorrow folks.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

My fellow Americans, we live in a time of great change. Tomorrow marks 13 years since our country was attacked. Next week marks 6 years since our economy suffered its worst setback since the Great Depression. Yet despite these shocks; through the pain we have felt and the grueling work required to bounce back – America is better positioned today to seize the future than any other nation on Earth.

My fellow Americans nothing like throwing in a red herring there.

Abroad, American leadership is the one constant in an uncertain world. It is America that has the capacity and the will to mobilize the world against terrorists. It is America that has rallied the world against Russian aggression, and in support of the Ukrainian peoples’ right to determine their own destiny. It is America – our scientists, our doctors, our know-how – that can help contain and cure the outbreak of Ebola.

LOL there is the ebola comment another red herring.

www.weeklystandard.com...
edit on 10-9-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyeKyu
Well, now that that's done... Who's up for some golf?

He just has to find a club that will let him play...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse

As much as I hate that term 'false flag'.

What an excuse for an attack here to push through his 'infrastructure' spending crap.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

But he sought to dispel fears that the United States was embarking on a repeat of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Repeat?

Uhhh Mr. president? We are still fighting them both and losing.

See how they do that? Who do they pay to write this stuff?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah he wants to do for Iraq what he did for Libya.

So repeat.

Oh they call Libya a 'win'.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join