It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Money think for you/me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Do you think people use the evaluation system by money to do their thinking for them?

It can be used as a short-cut for determining what is valuable/important and what is not.

A monetary value system is probably not totally wrong, but it does only measure things along one axis of consideration.

Honestly I do think money is currently important and do try to acquire it for myself. I guess for myself I want to figure out what [else] is [should be?] important to me. Money as an end in itself doesn't make much sense [to me], especially if that money can't buy you the things you really want.

Would it be useful if one can manage to have dual evaluation frames, one mercantile and one more absolute and personal and keeping it clear how different things fare in in each realm of consideration.

Are people who think only money is valuable letting money do their thinking for them? Is this an oversimplification?

I suppose one might apply similar arguments against political or military power.

Thoughts? Ideas? evidence for or against?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
i agree money is a distraction from the True important things in life

money is overimportant and arrogant
if money was a person it would brag all day about how cool it is and how its become the most important facet of human life

money would say "i own you!"
even tho us silly humans think we "own" money

oh but money knows
we are but slaves to the great Money

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
'Sentimental value' is always more important to me than monetary value.
If someone I care for gives me a present, it is always of a high value to me, irrespective of how much it cost.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Unfortunately we live in the world where money is almost as important as air

We cannot just say: I'm going to live without them - it is impossible nowadays, even in third world countries.
Of course we can ignore its power, but the sad truth is: they are the power.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
money never makes you full and purely happy.i agree it just a distraction of reality that when we have standards to uphold ourshelves too.money is a cop out and the real value of our own exsitence is lost in the busy rush of desperation.life and who we are is just a game.being truely happy has nothing to do with things we have and things we own.so i will never let money think for me .

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzgul
the sad truth is: they are the power.

Eventually those people who love money will realise something fundamental:

"When the last tree is cut; when the last river is polluted; when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money."
Cree Proverb.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Ravenna]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I didn�t say I loved money - on the contrary - I try to live without putting them into my priorities. But regardless how I try to lead my life I see that the reality of 21st century forces you to earn them if you want to survive. That is what I'm talking about.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I wasn't saying anything against you, jazzgul. Actually, I agree with what you said. I was just pointing out that people who love money (did anyone say George Bush ?), will eventually realise that it wont do much good when theres nothing left to eat.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ravenna
I was just pointing out that people who love money (did anyone say George Bush ?), will eventually realise that it wont do much good when theres nothing left to eat.

I wish you were right, Ravenna -I wish we could live our lives different ways. Unfortunately my optimistic view is crawling under the table, I don't see light in the tunnel here. I guess people who love money will have to "pay" for their love in their next life...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
ahhh money.... the glitter, the glamour, and what have you. whatever happened to the expectation of receiving nothing in return? the idea of currency preaches greed, selfishness, and the bonuses of accumulated "wealth". only some can seem to resist and put it to do some good in this world. what ever wont help you after you die is nothing worth wrapping your soul arround if you ask me. dfh out.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ravenna

Eventually those people who love money will realise something fundamental:

"When the last tree is cut; when the last river is polluted; when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money."
Cree Proverb.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Ravenna]

True, oh so true.
I am not even going to discuss how important it is to realize money is NOT everything, even if we have to use them to pay rent and food.
Beyond that, You don't need money. -But *sigh* they are nice to have...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
most people's subconscious evaluation of the cost/benefit of any given product/choice is constant.

whilst it obviously doesn't rule every aspect of our daily lives, it must never be taken for granted that with have full control over our monetary ambition.

taking this to a personal level, i would say that money probably does "own me". it controls what food i eat, it decides on what clothes i buy, and it introduces me to debt.

i am truely a slave to it's mastery of 'wisdom'.

top topics

join