It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Wants Authority to Arm Syrian Rebels, but GOP Is Wary

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

September 10, 2014 House Republicans are grappling with an eleventh-hour request from the White House to include an authorization to arm Syrian rebels in a must-pass spending bill that is slated to come to the House floor Thursday.

The Gop is 'wary' ?

Take a good look at politics in action.

Here we have the White House trying to pass the buck on to the congress. (That's rich after the repeated mockery of it and it's do nothingness).

It seems neither side on Capitol Shill learned nothing from Afghanistan during the 80s. As some including myself would called the genesis of our current problems.

Immortalized in film:

Charlie Wilson's War

Charlie Wilson's War is a 2007 American biographical comedy-drama film, recounting the true story of U.S. Congressman Charlie Wilson who partnered with CIA operative Gust Avrakotos to launch Operation Cyclone, a program to organize and support the Afghan mujahideen during the Soviet war in Afghanistan.

en.wikipedia.org...

Of course the 'mujahideen' would later form AQ, and well the rest is history. The same players in Syria, and Iraq, and Afghanistan during the past decade were the same players there during the 80s.

We have the Saudi backed 'blackwaters' AQ, and ISIS, and every other two bit Islamo fascist Sunni 'boysclub'.

A WikiLeaks released memo from the United States Secretary of State sent in 2009 asserted that the primary source of funding of Sunni terrorist groups worldwide was Saudi Arabia

en.wikipedia.org...

The Soviet war in Afghanistan lasted nine years from December 1979 to February 1989. Part of the Cold War, it was fought between Soviet-led Afghan forces against multi-national insurgent groups called the Mujahideen, mostly composed of two alliances – the Peshawar Seven and the Tehran Eight. The Peshawar Seven insurgents received military training in neighboring Pakistan and China,[9] as well as weapons and billions of dollars from the United States, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and other countries.[3][4][5][

en.wikipedia.org...

The Peshwar Seven, and the Tehran Eight.

Seems to me that those morons on capital hill are well aware of this history. And we all are aware of it's legacy.

The asinine 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' snipola is coming to us again.

Why they are even trying to decide on arming 'rebels' that are Sunni backed. Fighting to aid Assad that is Shia(Iran) backed, by Russia, and other 'axis's of evil' is beyond insane.

Hell we really don't have to do anything at all.

Let the Sunni's fight the Shia's, and destroy themselves. Then clean up the mess.

And people this really is political madness.

The very definition of insanity is keep doing the SAME things, and expecting a different result.

We have been doing the same things since the Carter administration.

Why do those people think now the end will be any different ?

Only fools would repeat arming those people.

Giving weapons, and training, and money to religious zealots is the epitome of 'government is us, and they are doing things 'right'.

Of course here at home it's more about American politics than anything else.

The White House positioning itself so it can blame the right. The right positioning itself to blame the White House.

When it comes down right to it ?

Neither side has our or this countries best interests in sight.

edit on 10-9-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
you said it well and best...really, what more can I add.

Idiots keep voting both parties at every election [as if eletiions truly matter].

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The rebels want to overthrow the president not fight ISIS. If the president is gone then ISIS is stronger. Just like Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq ect..... I can not agree with overthrowing a leader of a foreign country. I do believe that if this happens it will be a much worse situation for the citizens there. Leave the president in place and help keep stability in the region. Help the president fight ISIS is what should happen. But ISIS was created by us to do just that, overthrow the gov and destabilize the region so Big oil and Big banks could get a foothold in the region and profit and influence politics.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Oh that's nice, the White House wants to arm the next generation of American hating terrorists. Good to know nothing has changed.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

But ISIS was created by us to do just that, overthrow the gov and destabilize the region so Big oil and Big banks could get a foothold in the region and profit and influence politics.

No.

ISIS was created by Saudi Arabia that just rebranded itself.

The Islamic State (IS) (Arabic: الدولة الإسلامية‎ ad-Dawlah l-ʾIslāmiyyah), formerly the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL /ˈaɪsəl/; Arabic acronym: داعش Dāʿish) or the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS /ˈaɪsɪs/),[a] is a Sunni jihadist group in the Middle East. In its self-proclaimed status as a caliphate, it claims religious authority over all Muslims across the world[65] and aspires to bring most of the Muslim-inhabited regions of the world

en.wikipedia.org...

If anything the House of Saud created it to fatten THEIR oil bank accounts.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
At this point isn't anybody we send weapons going to end up using them against us?
Second line to say....our government is too stupid for words.
edit on 9/10/2014 by howmuch4another because: t

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

When is our government going to learn it's lesson?

Attention US Government: Stop arming Arab countries/factions. You want to help, then send in troops, if that is too much of a commitment then shut up.

Same BS over and over and over again.

How many Americans have to be killed by American weapons before they get it? I know what I am stating is no different from what everyone else is stating, but it's just so damn infuriating that I had to pipe in.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Wait, I thought we have already been sending arms to the Syrian rebels for awhile now?

Also, wasnt ISIS part of the Syrian rebels awhile ago before they started gaining a good chunk of land?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

ISIS was created by Saudi Arabia that just rebranded itself.

Your quote from that Wikipedia link does not mention Saudi Arabia but you posted that quote as if it proves the Saudis created ISIS.

It's pretty obvious that ISIS are the FSA but we are being told differently.

Plan A failed to overthrow Assad with the FSA so now they have moved on to Plan B which is ISIS. The most ridiculous part is that we are thinking about giving more arms to the FSA so they can end up in ISIS hands so more innocent women and children can be shot and beheaded.

US policy in the Middle East defies logic but exposes their obvious agenda to destabilize those countries who are not part of the "in crowd".

You can blame the Saudis all you want, heck they are probably in on it but I prefer eliminating the root cause of the problem which is the greedy globalists who are using Washington DC as their home for coordinating operations.

It's right there in front of you yet you fail to see it.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

Also, wasnt ISIS part of the Syrian rebels awhile ago before they started gaining a good chunk of land?

ISIS formed from AQ that was in Iraq.

When the US drew down, and left they came back to Iraq from Syria.

Under names and name changes:

en.wikipedia.org...

ISIS wasn't even a real threat to anyone until those idiots released Baghdadi.

The U.S. held him captive for a time in 2004 before an unconditional release put him back into Iraq’s growing Sunni insurgency. Read more: www.washingtontimes.com... Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Yo Wahhabists comes from Saudi Arabia.

You Can't Understand ISIS If You Don't Know the History of Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia

www.upi.com...

The civil war in Syria, whose Alawite regime Saudi Arabia's Sunny monarchy has long plotted against, and the prospect of a war with Shiite Iran over its reported drive to acquire nuclear weapons, preoccupy Riyadh while, Abdallah, Canute-like, strives to keep the democratic wave from breaking on its shores. Read more: www.upi.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

The rebels want more than to overthrow the president- they are fighting IS, and Assad's government. The United States has been trying to get its hands on Syria the same way they did with other Arab Spring countries.It just took longer, and became open war, and now the US cant figure out how to reinforce its interests in Syria. Then IS comes along, whether by chance or design, and opens us that possibility. Its stage 2 of "operation overhaul: middle-east."

however, I certainly agree that the West will advantage from whatever happens with IS. Eventually, the world will become involved, and totally wipe out the whole movement.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Your quote from that Wikipedia link does not mention Saudi Arabia but you posted that quote as if it proves the Saudis created ISIS

I guess some people can't read:

From the op:

A WikiLeaks released memo from the United States Secretary of State sent in 2009 asserted that the primary source of funding of Sunni terrorist groups worldwide was Saudi Arabia

The Peshawar Seven insurgents received military training in neighboring Pakistan and China,[9] as well as weapons and billions of dollars from the United States, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and other countries

The Islamic State (IS) (Arabic: الدولة الإسلامية‎ ad-Dawlah l-ʾIslāmiyyah), formerly the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL /ˈaɪsəl/; Arabic acronym: داعش Dāʿish) or the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS /ˈaɪsɪs/),[a] is a Sunni jihadist group in the Middle East. In its self-proclaimed status as a caliphate, it claims religious authority over all Muslims across the world[65] and aspires to bring most of the Muslim-inhabited regions of the world

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Is that the same gop that sent mccain to taKe some photo ops with some syrian rebels, american politics is funnier by the day, and you guys still believe theres a right and left party in the usa.
edit on 10-9-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

As far as I am aware, there has been only non-lethal aid deliveries reported from the US to Syria- of course, that's just the cover. From Wikipedia:

Under the administration's division of labor, the State Department is in charge of supplying nonlethal aid (includes food rations and pickup trucks, not tanks and bullets), while the C.I.A. runs a covert program to arm and train the Syrian rebels. CIA operatives distributed assault rifles, anti-tank rocket launchers and other ammunition to Syrian opposition. The State Department has reportedly allocated $15 million for civilian opposition groups in Syria.

also, yes the FSA were friendly with the Al-Nusra Front, who were friendly with IS in the beginning, and allowed them to take interior Syria. Now, the FSA are frighting IS and Assad.

As far as people talking about these weapons inevitably falling into the wrong hands, we gotta realize that they realize this too, and are doing it on purpose. That's how the military-industrial complex works.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Last time we did this we armed ISIS..

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think the biggest thing people should be snipped off about is this:

Our government is arming the 'in crowd' to over throw their government.

While they DENY us the means to defend ourselves.

They really would not stand for it if another country was arming the 'Tea party' for example with RPG's, tanks, and machine guns, etc.

That is an epic case of cognitive dissonance.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

Last time we did this we armed ISIS..

By leaving our stuff in Iraq ?

Seems to me the mission was already 'accomplished'.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: neo96
Only fools would repeat arming those people.

Yep .... be it a democrat or republican they keep sending arms and munitions over there and it always bites us in the backend. (D) or (R) ... FOOLS. Abject stupidity

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If you want to fight in the Middle East, you are going to have to send your own people. You cannot trust any faction already over there. They will turn on you as soon as they have what they want from you and think they can safely bite the hand that fed them ... without exception.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join