It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frequent teen marijuana use linked to issues later in life

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:
(post by chiefsmom removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Teenagers have enough issues without complications from controlled substances. Decision making is a learned reflex and is hampered when the thought process is interrupted by drug use. Moral judgement is left undeveloped. No wonder we have so many criminals in public office.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm sure drinking alcohol, popping pills, and drinking caffeine would also have negative impacts on a teens future. Truth is, a good many teens do a lot of everything and that'll never change.

Legalize marijuana!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I guess using marijuana causes ADD/ADHD as well.
People with ADD/ADHD are far more likely to smoke weed or use other drugs, therefore weed is the cause.

It's basically what this study is saying, just a few words are different in my comparison.

Are some people smart because they read books, books cause smartness, or were some people just born smart?

The prohibitionists are getting desperate now, but people have finally learned to ignore them as just a bunch of Chicken Littles.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
*** REMINDER ***

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances, legal or otherwise: discussing personal use or personal experiences as the result of such substances is not allowed in any form.

(post by JimNasium removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Working in a high school I deal with these issues on a daily basis.

From my experience the majority of students that struggle keeping their GPA up and/or graduating are using marijuana on a frequent basis.

Those students from their own admissions are apathetic and are only concerned with getting high.

Each year the number of these students seems to be increasing. Again this is only my personal experience and it cannot speak for the rest of the nation.

I have no problem with legalization, however I know I would not want my child using it.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

From my experience the majority of students that struggle keeping their GPA up and/or graduating are using marijuana on a frequent basis.

Those students from their own admissions are apathetic and are only concerned with getting high.

Each year the number of these students seems to be increasing. Again this is only my personal experience and it cannot speak for the rest of the nation.

I have no problem with legalization, however I know I would not want my child using it.

kinda like tobacco right?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Right, blame the substance but not the environment it's used in.
Weed has been on the 'down low' side of distribution and use for decades, and because of that it's been given a negative stigma because it generally involves sneaking around and using with sketchy people.

The same can be said for say, beer, a guy who goes home to his wife and kids every night and drinks three beers, but maintains a healthy work life and family life, compared to say a guy who just heads to the bar every night, drops 50 dollars and drives home drunk, was it the beer that did it?

back to the kids tho, if kids are using weed before 17 they obviously have some sort of freedom from parents they shouldn't have, OR they are really, really good liars and something else is messed up with the kids environment as well. Leave the poor plant a lone! It only wants to make people happy.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

Worth repeating. I'll add that adults are less prone to honestly admitting to their own development of apathy. Maybe they just aren't as challenged by life, as a student who has homework to complete. I've seen it affect my own staff ... and it's a sad thing to observe.

It's hard to find a middle ground on this issue. It's also hard to find folks who are willing to be honest with themselves and others.

I'll tell you this: People should be allowed to choose. They also should be mature (and strong) enough to deal with the consequences.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I know where you're coming from. The majority of high schoolers, even college students are not responsible enough to use it medicinally. They also do not understand the spiritual aspects that go along with it.

Put any kind of medication in the hands of the average high schooler and they will abuse it, misuse it and misunderstand the nature of it.

I think it's sad that many of the high school students who use it as a party drug end up becoming anti-marijuana proponents when they grow up. Meaning they misused a medication for their own pleasure, ended up proving their own irresponsibility to themselves (of course they'll blame it on the effects of the plant).

Alcohol, tobacco, sugar, all the junk we're fed, trained to use is dangerous for us. A plant given as a medicine, food, spiritual aide and a safe recreational choice is not harmful to us.

If you felt harmed by it please consider you were using stuff grown with pesticides, been through many hands, possibly stored wrong, contaminated with fungi or dirt, etc. It most likely was not grown with care and wasn't bred for efficiency but high, quick yields.

AND: Most importantly, you probably misused it and abused it. Do not blame the medication for your irresponsibility.

I told this to an older person very close to me and they realized black market isn't always a mecha for high quality.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I Can confirm that my own studies of 20yrs observing that these studies are 100% correct

However these people where already failing from the age of 13

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Not even close to tobacco.

I was only discussing my personal experiences.

Where did you draw that conclusion from?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The use of this drug has a deprogramming effect....simple as that....

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Where's the frequent drinking of alcohol links to issues later in life....

Where's the frequently drinking sugar and energy drinks links to issues later in life...

This is not worth discussing, pros far outway the cons. But lets just keep using chumps with issues to push an agenda.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

How many of those kids also drink alcohol?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
If there was a list of common things that, if used incorrectly by Teenagers, might cause harm to learning, Cannabis would be item number 282737336.

No one and I repeat NO ONE thinks kids smoking weed is a good idea.
(none combustion "medically supervised" practices do have a place though I believe)

Why publish a report that simply confirms a common sense approach that applies to a lot of things.

Is having a significant percentage of the population less susceptible to programming a good or bad thing?..personally I think all Legislative and Judiciary members should undergo regular attitudinal correction sessions using a range of natural psychoactives such as Cannabis.

edit on 11-9-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I would venture to say that probably a good majority also use alcohol.

IMO a student in grade school shouldn't use either of the two.

Again I previously stated that I support legalization.

I was just simply reporting my personal observations on how it effects a lot of the students that use it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join