It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overthrowing Other People’s Governments: The Master List of U.S. “Regime Changes”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Here's a subject that comes up every once in a while.

Usually focusing on single topics.

This list has many countries that the U.S. has apparently attempted regime changes.

Is this list accurate?

Is it complete?

Instances of the United States overthrowing, or attempting to overthrow, a foreign government since the Second World War. (* indicates successful ouster of a government)

Overthrowing Other People’s Governments: The Master List of U.S. “Regime Changes”

Here's 8 of 20 on the list...

China 1949 to early 1960s
Albania 1949-53
East Germany 1950s
Iran 1953 *
Guatemala 1954 *
Costa Rica mid-1950s
Syria 1956-7
Egypt 1957

Anything missing?

Does this include "installed" puppets?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Lybia, Iraq, Afghanistan

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

If you think the US is involved in regime changes at an alarming rate, you should look at international financing of revolutionary groups in history which led to the formation of new governments. International financial institutions seem to be the driving factor behind every successful revolution.

How do you know if your revolution is going to win? Start approaching banks for a loan. If you find a lender, it seems, chances are you are on your way to becoming the next government.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I have a suspicion that Canada's Harper is secretly an American...Does this count?

Either that or he wants to be because he sure loves Obama.

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Everywhere the US has or has had an embassy.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash

If you think the US is involved in regime changes at an alarming rate, you should look at international financing of revolutionary groups in history which led to the formation of new governments. International financial institutions seem to be the driving factor behind every successful revolution.

How do you know if your revolution is going to win? Start approaching banks for a loan. If you find a lender, it seems, chances are you are on your way to becoming the next government.

If you think international financing of revolutionary groups is a sure fire way to the formation of new governments you should have a look at the post-imperialism independent movements and the resulting globalized world. International financial institutions seem to be the driving factor behind keeping the old order branded as anew.

A sure fire way to ensure efforts of your revolution are futile is likely falling victim to the power controlling your bankrolled debt ... which coinicently, often happens to be the same powerhouse you attempted to escape to begin with.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
Lybia, Iraq, Afghanistan

All on the list ... Iraq 3 times, Libya and Afghanistan twice
edit on 9/10/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: had Iraq/Libya switched

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I can't say for sure if the list is exhaustive, but all the ones I know off the top of my head are on there. Good post.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Well, money is truly the source of all power. The king's franchise is the power to tax and he is permitted to maintain that license so long as he provides peace for an ever expanding system of credit. Only democracy was ever conceited enough to grant itself the power to print money and that was a misstep democracy never recovered from.

The minute deflation hits this planet is the minute the game changes. All the freedoms you think you have will vanish and inch by inch all of the property in this world will be seized to pay the creditors. I doubt it will ever come to that. It is infinitely better to control something than to own it (ownership implies liability), and as long as you have full control over the interest rate and the supply of currency, you can prevent deflation in perpetuity.

You just have to understand who really runs things. If you do that and you avoid stepping on the correct toes, amazing things can happen. If you are looking to topple the apple cart because you don't like the rules of the game, you're going to have a bad time.

I think Benjamin Franklin said it best when he talked about avoiding the temptation to say the wrong things. He was a very prudent man and he understood how to orchestrate a successful revolution.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
While this list greatly exagerates the US role, some times limited to a simple statement in support of one side, it also gives the US a great deal of credit for things that happened that happened to align with US interests. Of course during the Cold War pretty much every government on Earth, incuding both the Soviet Union and the US, had external pressures from eastern bloc or western bloc on it internal politics. I suppose it is more fun to pretend that this was a one way street and only the US did it.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I do believe most are familiar with the term Banana Republic. There's a reason that we use that term. So go ahead and throw Guatemala and Honduras into your list.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My list before looking at that list would have been...

Panama
Grenada
Cuba bay of pigs
Libya
Iraq
Afghanistan
Iran
East Germany although not sure that really counts as it was basically a puppet of Russian but...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Russia/Soviet Union isn't on the list.

But many conspiracies about U.S./Western mixings during and after WW1....

In March of 1919, William Christian Bullitt, an attaché to the U.S. delegation to the Paris Peace Conference, visited Soviet Russia on a clandestine mission. Although Secretary of State Robert Lansing only authorized him to report on political and economic conditions, Bullitt’s actual objective was far more ambitious: to broker an agreement between the Allies and Russia’s Bolshevik government that would end the Russian Civil War, lift the Allied blockade of that country, and allow the Allies to withdraw the troops they had dispatched to Russia in 1918. Bullitt eventually received a proposal from the Bolshevik government that would have realized these goals, but the Allied leaders at the Paris Peace Conference were unwilling to accept the offer.

The Bullitt Mission to Soviet Russia, 1919

some backgound info....

Allied intervention in the Russian Civil War

U.S. Military Intervention in Russia, 1917–20

Russian Civil War

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If you replaced the US, with the word Banker, Id would think that list would be offf the screen

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

You sound a little Churchilly, so ...
"Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

Well, money is truly the source of all power. The king's franchise is the power to tax and he is permitted to maintain that license so long as he provides peace for an ever expanding system of credit. Only democracy was ever conceited enough to grant itself the power to print money and that was a misstep democracy never recovered from.

A little misleading. Printing money without grounded control measures in something of substance did not come around until The Fed did out of desire and will by the powerful money holders to yield more control and power. Historically speaking, there are more King's that have both pillaged and squandered its franchise and taxes away than those that provided peace and expanded credit. Let us not forget Britain fell to Rothschild before America succumbed to the same ploy.

The minute deflation hits this planet is the minute the game changes. All the freedoms you think you have will vanish and inch by inch all of the property in this world will be seized to pay the creditors. I doubt it will ever come to that. It is infinitely better to control something than to own it (ownership implies liability), and as long as you have full control over the interest rate and the supply of currency, you can prevent deflation in perpetuity.

Yes, I agree, you can also allow such measures and take ownership ... 2008 is a prime example.

You just have to understand who really runs things. If you do that and you avoid stepping on the correct toes, amazing things can happen. If you are looking to topple the apple cart because you don't like the rules of the game, you're going to have a bad time.

I think Benjamin Franklin said it best when he talked about avoiding the temptation to say the wrong things. He was a very prudent man and he understood how to orchestrate a successful revolution.

An apathetic (wo)man is one who does not understand who really runs things. Kings of old and "Kings of new" are all but powerless when apathy is the minority and confrontation is the norm, be that hopefully peace or in defence. If I topple the apple cart I trust good men to help me gather the dropped goods, upright the car, and push it up the hill to the Kings door and let him watch roll back down to the people.
edit on 9/10/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/10/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: formatting

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The list is actually longer, the list that is that the website you linked took their info from, which is here...

www.globalresearch.ca...

I don't agree with every instance on that list but there are many that were either directly or indirectly facilitated by the US/West. It went both ways though, and still does, through both Cold Wars I and II.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

originally posted by: thesmokingman
Lybia, Iraq, Afghanistan

All on the list ... Iraq 3 times, Libya and Afghanistan twice

My apologies, I didnt see there were more on the list.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I would assume it's because the list is from 1945 onward. From your OP...

Instances of the United States overthrowing, or attempting to overthrow, a foreign government since the Second World War.

There would be others that could be added if they went back further I assume.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I actually like Churchill as a human being. He knew what to do with his prepositions, and he gave self-righteous people a proper level of respect. I just wish I could fall asleep in public with all the faith of an alpha male that I wouldn't be molested while doing so. lol.

Sometimes you have to look past the role a person served and realize that they were much more than that. Had he not filled that role, someone would have and in most instances a person who fills a seat of power during a time of crisis becomes a great tyrant. It takes a special someone to walk gracefully off of the stage of power when their time has come and hand the torch down to the next generation of people. That is the true beauty of Republicanism. Any other form of government would have given birth to a tyrant during those times, even the beloved Democracy.

I personally favor decentralized governance and a participatory electorate comprised of all people yet bound by rules of order and justice as in a Republic. Such a government has never existed and it maybe never will, but were it to be born even as a small spark into this world, I would guard it with my life.

The problem with upsetting the apple-cart is recreating a condition of equilibrium afterwards. It does little good to depose a tyrant if 30% of the people perish in the onslaught and the rest live in the misery of a subsistent world thereafter. The illusion of freedom can be more comfortable than the real deal when coupled with prosperity and entertainment, and I'd rather a comfortable populace surviving on this planet than fields upon fields of the final resting places of idealistic heroes.

The belief that you are more correct than someone else is often mankind's most dangerous ideology.
edit on 10-9-2014 by Nechash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

I can honestly say everything you just said I agree with, every word. Most especially the second paragraph which is precisely why I used that Churchill quote. Equally to that, the last paragraph is true, a most dangerous folly; and, the paragraph immediately before, a sad paradox on the reality of the matter.

top topics

join