It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credible News Sources...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
What are credible news sources these days?

MSNBC.com is arguably a prop-aganda machine like CNN.com

Rense.com is never taken seriously...

Then where can I get news from? if nothing can be trusted?????

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It really doesn't matter. Whatever source you choose there will always be a section of the board that thinks its biased.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
A "credible" news source is anything that backs Bush up 100 %. Anything else, (like the main stream media is going to tell us) should come from the Faux network.

Dont let people tell you something isnt from a credible source. 9 times out of 10, its ahead of the "real" news and within 1 or 2 days it hits the real media with a Republican twist.

Believe me, it pays to look at both sides of the coin.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I always liked BBC World myself. Not only does it cover news all around the world, it awesome has some award winning reporters and isnt really connected to any specific government. (even though its called BBC, its technically an international news channel.)

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
What ever source you use it is always good to back it up with one or two other sources especially if you can get it from both sides, it shuts the debunkers up or forces them to post about the article and not where it came form.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yeah, I KEEP FORGETTING BBC!
thank you!!! thank YOU!!!!

Sorry, heh...I should be acting more like an adult being 23 now...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have a lot of respect for the BBC world news. The BBC seem to be able to report the news item without a political agenda thats what I expect from the media.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
damn, everyone mentioned bbc.

bbc is really a very good news source. here, id go with cnn, i like their online services very much, its a much better product than many others, bias aside.

bias is everywhere. if you dont want bias, look outside the us. if your fine with it, or the article is relatively clear, id go with cnn. nytimes, and fox if its bearable. yahoo has some sutff now and then. the underground sources are fantastic as well. althought short, i love slashdot's work.

edit - it occured to me not everyone would read /. as slashdot. damn not geeks...

[edit on 12/6/2004 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I quite like CNN online news as well it seems to make an effort to live up the term world news. Compare CNN with Fox news website.
cnn
fox world news
Mayabe I am being to harsh on the Republican channel if Fox is more of a American news service then why is it broadcast outside the USA?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo

MSNBC.com is arguably a prop-aganda machine like CNN.com

In my opinion Fox is the worst of the bunch.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Ground zero, you beat me to the punch. I was just about to post something regarding this. Although, in retrospect, I since decided not to because if we tried to compile a list of all the news sources available, we'd go nuts. There are just too many. Not to mention keeping such a list updated.

So, I am exploring another approach. Instead of taking a report at face value, which I still do often, I am going to try and bring to the table here more in depth reports that I develop myself from multiple references and news sources, using their base source where possible, with more of a global overview. These are not the type of reports you will see as ATSNN stories, because they may strongly incorporate my opinion on the matter at hand.

An example of such a report I just did you can see here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

This involves much more work, as you can see, and going to the actual websites of the subject matter being reported. The title of the report surmises a conclusion I felt appropriate developed as a function of the research and stories I read. It is more like what we see in the debate forums, yet without the debate. Interestingly, very few replies to this report, and I would like to know if the membership would like to see more of these kinds of reports. If not that's cool, because they do take a lot of time.

Regards,
TA

[edit on 6-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Can a source like a police scanner be considered reliable?

dispatch.ninn.org...

www.incidentpage.net...
be
scannerbuff.net...

[edit on 12/6/2004 by Notme]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
www.commondreams.org...
Extremely left/liberal/progressive, but a huge list of news source links on the front page.

www.depression2.tv...
Financial news, kind of underground-ish, with daily top 10 stories. I've read stuff here days before it showed up on ATS.

www.financialsense.com...
More finances, but with great archived articles on inflation, peak oil, gold vs. dollar, etc.

www.rawstory.com...
Underground, but good for mining sources from.

Use at your own risk. I tend to avoid mainstream sites, as that news will end up in my face without me looking for it. I like alternative sites with sources and quotes I can check out myself. And as you can see, I've been doing research on where the US economy is headed, and how it relates to other current events. In other words, I'm connecting the dots, and it ain't a pretty picture

--Saerlaith

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
(snip)

About 1990 I had access to an international newswire,
that journalists globally would use to transmit their
stories. The news media uses such sources for their
news requirements, in addition to their own reporters.
What comes to mind is the Associated Press newswire,
but there are many others. Today only "approved" news
media have access to the "raw" material, but
you can subscribe to pay-for-news custom services,
that will forward to you stories of interest.. uncensored,
not filtered for local distribution, without emphasis or spin,
and not part of some particular news media propaganda.
The experience is.. to understate it.. very enlightening.
It is also costly. To pay might cost $500 month, but you
would receive the "real" news, and not the propaganda.

Something to think about when you have the money.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Weekdays,

I would give www.npr.org and www.wamu.org a try.

At least they discuss most issues with an open mind and allow differing views.

AND you can listen while you're online.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
A news source can be credible and biased at the same time. Fox News is a credible news source but to many people obviously biased. For general news stories for example a plane crash, Fox News is fine. Rense is generally not a credible news site. Alex Jones is not a credible news site. Lew Rockwell, who I check out frequently, is not a credible site for news. Newsmax isn't really a very credible site. That doesn't make the info at those sites wrong, just not credible in the eyes of many.

For an absolute wealth of news stories go to the Drudge Report and scroll down past all the headlines he has posted. You'll find links to all the major networks, papers, and news magazines. Also there's links to the news agencies such as Reuters, the AP, the UPI, and the AFP. Those are all credible news sites.

And in my opinion, the BBC leans slightly left.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
And in my opinion, the BBC leans slightly left.

Just a bit

I use Sky News

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Besides all mentioned already, there is obviously the Associated Press and Reuters.

I get my news from no one source, but when submitting ATSNN articles, I tend use only known major news sources

new topics

top topics

join