It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC: Potential Ebola Case at Miami Hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

A potential case of Ebola is being treated at a Miami-area hospital, officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday.
The details of the case and patient weren't immediately known.

The possible case in Florida comes as health officials worldwide continue to try to control what the CDC says is the largest Ebola outbreak in history. More than 2,100 cases of Ebola have been confirmed since the current outbreak started in December of last year in West Africa. Suspected deaths are at 1,848.

CDC: Potential Ebola Case at Miami Hospital

Exceedingly worrying .. its only a matter of time via travel, accident or i dread to mention ebola suicide attacks via factions that could easily travel abroad and back and spread the desease to western countries.

i hope this is another false report like before

good luck all
edit on 8/9/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I'm not surprised. It's still spreading.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If it's not Ebola, then it will be that new respiratory infection. Either way, you can't from it.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Diabolical

What new respiratory infection?

If you are talking about the enterovirus, it's old, it just popped up more severe for some reason this year.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Not surprising. I hope it's just a false rumour, but, even if it is, I'm afraid we'll see similar news in the future.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Ooo....Miami.....immigration there is pretty high as well coming in off the boats. This should prove to be really nasty if in fact it is Ebola. It would spread through Miami like wildfire.

Actually I believe Miami has the second highest immigration rate next to LA. And we were only worried about our Mexican border....
edit on 9/8/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I've been to Miami several times, it would definitely be worrisome if an Ebola outbreak started there.

The poverty levels can be high in some areas, and the immigrant populations live in close-quarters to each other - which we know to be necessary for the spread of this disease.

Fortunately, Miami also has great hospitals, so this may be able to be quarantined and squashed quickly.

But if this patient isn't the only one, and his contacts aren't tested quickly, it could spread much more rapidly than we are prepared for. Honestly, Miami is one of the best places in the US for this disease to hit the ground running.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Only about a thousand or two have ebola. The population of earth is about 9 billion and rising. Your odds of getting ebola are ONE in every 9 million. Those are very good odds that i would bet on ,that i would NOT get ebola.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

It's not as the OP headline suggested;

A patient who had shown some Ebola symptoms was being retested at a Miami-area hospital after initial tests came back negative, officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday. CDC spokesman Jason McDonald said the patient was being retested to be sure.

The patient has already tested negative. Am I missing something?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u
Only about a thousand or two have ebola. The population of earth is about 9 billion and rising. Your odds of getting ebola are ONE in every 9 million. Those are very good odds that i would bet on ,that i would NOT get ebola.

9 Billion, when did that happen? Last I remember is we only recently topped 7 Billion.

Is this thread in the Twilight Zone?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

This is a retest, apparently. A number of Ebola patients initially tested negative but then tested positive on a retest. The patient tested negative last week, but the CDC will be doing a retest to be sure that the second test is negative, which seems to be recommended procedure now. Hopefully the retest will also be negative, but you never know.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u

There have been about 4000 cases of Ebola (reported - actual numbers are believed to be at least 2-4 times as many) in the current outbreak(s). Unless you mean currently still alive and still contagious, in which case you are correct as far as known numbers. 2105 have already died and some smaller number of survivors may no longer be contagious.

With slightly over 7 billion in world population (flammadraco is correct on this), your current odds of getting Ebola are very low unless you live in west Africa. But Ebola cases are currently doubling about every 3-4 weeks. Let's hope something can be done to change that.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

A patient who had shown some Ebola symptoms was being retested at a Miami-area hospital after initial tests came back negative, officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday. CDC spokesman Jason McDonald said the patient was being retested to be sure.

Yep, I noted the decided lack of remark in the OP that the initial testing came back negative and it is a retesting to be certain. Perhaps the article has changed since the OP originally posted it. Looking at the web address points to this being the likely source of disparity from the OP and the current article as the web address is titled "CDC--Potential Ebola Case at Miami Hospital"--just like the OP's title. Nothing nefarious on the OP's part it would seem. Just an updated news article to better reflect the actual story.

edit on 8/9/14 by WhiteAlice because: added cdc portion to title in web address.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I concur however, patient was tested negative for Ebola last week and thus I'm sure the story at the site updated before this afternoon.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I concur however, patient was tested negative for Ebola last week and thus I'm sure the story at the site updated before this afternoon.

Actually, if you look at the page info, the page was last modified today at 12:15 PDT. That's one hour ago. The OP posted the story at around 10:00 am this morning. It is NOT the OP's fault. NBC is really quite bad for doing this kind of thing and it is why I avoid using NBC as a source as they frequently alter their stories. It's pretty annoying and the target for any derision is never placed on the proper target (NBC) but at the person who caught the story before it was altered. You can check the page info yourself by right clicking on the page and selecting "page info" and looking for "last modified".

If anything, the OP and the newly revised article should be a total example of media sensationalism and failure to fact check before publishing a story online.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Thanks for that, bad NBC.
Sorry to the OP for thinking they were being sensationalist.
edit on 8.9.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

Yep, I noted the decided lack of remark in the OP that the initial testing came back negative and it is a retesting to be certain. Perhaps the article has changed since the OP originally posted it. Looking at the web address points to this being the likely source of disparity from the OP and the current article as the web address is titled "CDC--Potential Ebola Case at Miami Hospital"--just like the OP's title. Nothing nefarious on the OP's part it would seem. Just an updated news article to better reflect the actual story.

yes sir the article HAS changed since originally posted

i posted this afternoon and it was breaking news with the original title pasted straight from the news article ,i have been at work all day and just got back, it has since been updated

Q
edit on 8/9/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum_Squirrel

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

yes sir the article HAS changed since originally posted

i posted this afternoon and it was breaking news with the original title pasted straight from the news article ,i have been at work all day and just got back, it has since been updated

Q

Hee hee, ma'am, and glad I pegged what happened correctly. Like I said, NBC is bad for this kind of thing. Happened to me once, too, and I never gave them the time of day thereafter, lol.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Ooo....Miami.....immigration there is pretty high as well coming in off the boats. This should prove to be really nasty if in fact it is Ebola. It would spread through Miami like wildfire.

Actually I believe Miami has the second highest immigration rate next to LA. And we were only worried about our Mexican border....

No it wont spread like wildfire.

If the US medical system is even half competent then they wil stop ebola pretty fast.

Last time I checked the USA was not some 3rd world cesspit.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

No it wont spread like wildfire.

If the US medical system is even half competent then they wil stop ebola pretty fast.

Last time I checked the USA was not some 3rd world cesspit.

I have no doubt in the ability for civilized governments to handle outbreaks , however are you not even slightly worried about a possible 2 week incubation period and how many people that person came in contact with? before being admitted ? and how many people those people have been in contact with ?

despite the modern technology and facilities how can you deal with the above situation? unless your very lucky and catch the patient at 'ground zero' very very early..

Or the potential of suicide bombers to spread it as much as possible before the symptoms are so acute they are unable to function?

CDC Says Ebola Tests for Miami Patient are Negative : Update

another negative, it seems anyone the displays slight Ebola like symptoms is being jumped on and news agency really want to be the first to break such a catastrophic story.
edit on 9/9/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: updated thread info for negative result

top topics

join