It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London's Luton Airport terminal evacuated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

London's Luton Airport terminal evacuated after suspicious item found

(Reuters) - The terminal building at Britain's Luton Airport, north of London, has been evacuated after a suspicious item was found, the police and airport said on Monday.

"London Luton Airport has evacuated the terminal building after a suspicious item was found in the security search area. The decision has been taken with the police to ensure the safety and security of passengers and staff," Luton Airport said on their website.

Bedfordshire Police said that they had cleared the departure lounge at Luton, the country's sixth biggest airport which primarily serves holiday destinations.

Britain recently raised its international terrorism alert to its second-highest level, saying Islamic State (IS) in Syria and Iraq posed the country's greatest-ever security risk.

Reuters

Just happening at the moment. Looking for an update and more details about this incident at UK. UK has raised its terror alert to level "severe" over a month ago. There was a lot of criticism over the UK decision to raise the alert without any evidence.
edit on 8-9-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka
I hope that I am correct in guessing that this will turn out to be nothing.

The radical jihadists will pull a suicide attack if they do an attack, little chance of evacuating a terminal in that case.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yeah...I see this the same as you. I would think if they were to try anything, it would be on a much larger scale hitting multiple targets at the same time. They like to create mass chaos, not plant a bomb and hope.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I've been following this for a couple hours now since it first broke.

Chances are that it's nothing but now days I rather be safe than sorry.

What bothers me is that the media has us living in so much fear that it has reached the point if someone sees a random suitcase it's a suspicious package, if someone has jet-lag it's Ebola.

Even if "they" don't attack us "they" have the majority of us living in fear so who ever "they" are "they" are winning whether we realize it or not.

Part of me thinks that these over-reactions are part of their plan to condition us into sacrificing what little rights and freedoms that we have left.

That being said this particular incident has been going on for a couple hours now and there's still no word as to what it is so there might actually be something to this, but I doubt it (I'm being cautiously optimistic).

Going to keep an eye on this just to find out someone probably left their brief-case in an unusual spot. I read a few articles and could not find any info as to what the suspicious package is, anyone come across this information yet?

edit on 8-9-2014 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Well,I expect its nothing to worry about,but I would rather they took these precautions only to find out its an innocent package.
The thing is mischief makers know that they can shut a whole building down if they leave a bag somewhere in a public area these days.
It could even be a airport worker wanting the day off or something silly like that.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It seems like the vast majority of these turn out to be nothing more than a forgetful passenger, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I got on the train at Penn Station yesterday and there were two bags left on a seat and apparently two ladies had left them there and gone to the bathroom quick - They never came back. I'm not going to lie, i was a little nervous.

Sadly, these are the times we live in now.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hi dollukka

That's about 20 ,minutes from me, if I hear anything I'll be sure to let you know. Not going there now though, rush hour and it's a nightmare this time of day.

Cody

ETA: Confirmed HERE

Security Alert - Terminal Building Evacuation

Published: 08 September 2014

London Luton Airport has evacuated the terminal building after a security alert

The decision has been taken with the Police to ensure the safety and security of passengers and staff.

All incoming flights have been suspended and the approach road to the Airport has also been closed.

Passengers are advised to contact their airlines to establish the status of their flights.

edit on 8/9/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
My gut feeling is that this is just a precautionary measure to a benign situation.

Any terrorist who wanted to do real harm would do so in a Jihad/suicide attack way, definitely not just the "plant and pray" method that this is being investigated as.

But as a poster said above me, in some ways, "they" have already won. We are living in such a state of terror that even a forgotten bag can lead to mass disruption of an airport.

Hopefully this is nothing more than a forgetful passenger. At least it has given police and EMS a good practice drill.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

I'm sure that's all it is, following the updates now, used to happen all the time in Tel Aviv airport.
It's not even being reported on the local radio as yet.

Cody

ETA: Now being reported on the local news, all roads to the airport are now closed off, and I'm going to have to cook my own dinner because Mrs C will be caught up in it all..............................bugger LOL

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
IMO I don't think so. Think on this scenario. False call. High security..... Nothing in it. Relax. Same again. Same again. After the third or fourth time security becomes complacent, public relax"oh it's only another false alarm". The BAMM. Exponentially more public media attention, more loss of life.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
IMO I don't think so. Think on this scenario. False call. High security..... Nothing in it. Relax. Same again. Same again. After the third or fourth time security becomes complacent, public relax"oh it's only another false alarm". The BAMM. Exponentially more public media attention, more loss of life.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

edit on 8-9-2014 by crayzeed because: Triple post. How to delete them?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Terminal is open again
HERE

No news as what exactly happened yet though, just a "Police investigation"

Cody

ETA: Now reporting a "controlled explosion" Nice catch dolls

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Ooops! Triple post. How do you delete two of them?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

U2U a mod and ask nicely

Bad hair day ?

Cody

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: cody599
Terminal is open again
No news as what exactly happened yet though, just a "Police investigation"

Cody

ETA: Now reporting a "controlled explosion" Nice catch dolls

It did say the security search area didn't it?? Is that not where you are pulled along with your bag, a manned area.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

All I can tell you is that I recently took my kids to Luton to fly home to Israel. We encountered El Al security in the part where you drop your hold luggage.

When we flew up to Scotland to meet Gordithedrummer and a few other members the first security we came across was at the first X ray machine.................... Yes Mrs C did get pulled over LOL.

So yes, very much manned areas.

Cody

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Somebody left some nail clippers in their carry-on luggage. Probably being waterboarded by MI5 right now and we'll get an update from the police soon enough about a failed / foiled terror plot of such enormity they can't go into any details due to national security!

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy
Somebody left some nail clippers in their carry-on luggage. Probably being waterboarded by MI5 right now and we'll get an update from the police soon enough about a failed / foiled terror plot of such enormity they can't go into any details due to national security!

OOh, nail clippers, how 'disgusting', and how times have changed. It used to be watch smugglers and the like, would put 'soiled' clothing atop in their suitcases and the customs boys would just say, "you dirty bugger" and close the case quickly!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join