It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Des needs help with new toy.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
a reply to: watchitburn

That is my concern WIB...very humid where I live. Trying to keep it dry. The stock has been hand sanded by the previous owner...not sealed. What should I oil it with.

Des

put yacht varnish or oil it with teak oil or danish x5 coats des

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Thanks. Dry time between coats? TIA I'd rather use oil than a varnish.

Des

edit on 7-9-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
That sounds like a quick and doable fix...Thanks...

Des

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
a reply to: Destinyone

Des that is a great little varmint gun and if the scope is any good at all you will be hitting what you want to in no time !
I have never used a sock cover but I have taken long fabric and like a barber poll wrapped some guns when they would be in storage; stretching, I have no idea .. An aluminum case is less than $50 and if you want plastic they can be had for less than $35.. Used cases are for than that..

That's what I got it for Sky...muskrats are messing with my pond. Since many here say a sock cover stretching is kind of a lost hope. Is it OK to store it in the same case I have for my Mossberg until I make it to a place to buy a case for the Marlin? It's kind of a tight squeeze, and stored upright.

Des

Yep I have always gone with the, "If it fits and the lid closes, good to go". Never had a problem. You can get some Breakfree CLP at Walmart and spray and wipe the gun down (which you probably already know it is a great gun cleaner, bore and all)... I have never had a corrosion problem or even a rust problem and some of my guns were over 70 years old.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Nice Model 60. Does yours have the little squirrel or chipmunk or whatever engraved in the stock? This is the .22 I learned to shoot on as a wee lad. Some people like to talk crap on Marlin, but I find them to be very good rifles.

If you can fit both in the case I say you're good to go. You can pick up a cheap Plano case that would fit fine for around $20.

I recently got a new Marlin as well, though it's gotten a bit of a facelift.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

a reply to: douglas5

Thanks. Dry time between coats? TIA I'd rather use oil than a varnish.

Des

I would give it at least a day between coats des in normal conditions

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Hop on Amazon and search gun sock. They've got a number that will fit from about $10 on up.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

No little varmints carved on stock just diamonds and crosshatching...but nice and clean.

Nice setup on yours.

It fits me well for size.

Des

edit on 7-9-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

That is a pretty looking rifle!

I do like the .22's, i learned to shoot with one till they required licenses in the UK. Then i was forced to switch to airguns as i can only shoot on my grandparents farm and have no reason to keep one at my actual home, thus cant have a license *sadface*

Im loving the colours on on that stock!!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Hahaha I just cleaned my model 60 earlier today from it's last shoot.

I would forego a gun sock for a scoped rifle and go with a hard case; you can get one for $30 at most outdoor stores.

A hard case will keep the scope from getting jarred and knocking it off zero.

I inherited mine from my Grandpa when he passed away. I have had to replace two little parts, but it is a great gun and lots of fun to shoot.

Take care of it and it will become a wonderful heirloom in your family.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I personally never done the sock trick. Either buy a good gun case and throw a silica pack in it or keep it in a gun cabinet. I have a .22 exactly like it and I use it all the time for target practice. Very accurate and fun shooting gun. The most accurate .22 I have is a bolt action Ruger .22. I can shave a fly's beard with it. I also clean it once a month with 3-in-1 oil. But regular gun oil is good too. Just use an old T-shirt for rubbing it down and keep that shirt and reuse it every time.
edit on 7-9-2014 by Fylgje because: clarity

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Here is another little trick for you

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Des that is a great little varmint gun and if the scope is any good at all you will be hitting what you want to in no time !
I have never used a sock cover but I have taken long fabric and like a barber poll wrapped some guns when they would be in storage; stretching, I have no idea .. An aluminum case is less than $50 and if you want plastic they can be had for less than $35.. Used cases are for than that..

That's what I got it for Sky...muskrats are messing with my pond. Since many here say a sock cover stretching is kind of a lost hope. Is it OK to store it in the same case I have for my Mossberg until I make it to a place to buy a case for the Marlin? It's kind of a tight squeeze, and stored upright.

Des

Yep I have always gone with the, "If it fits and the lid closes, good to go". Never had a problem. You can get some Breakfree CLP at Walmart and spray and wipe the gun down (which you probably already know it is a great gun cleaner, bore and all)... I have never had a corrosion problem or even a rust problem and some of my guns were over 70 years old.

Here is my oldest one. Single shot .22.

Des

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Walmart, $14.97 for a soft case with room for the scope.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I had a problem with getting a particular weapon in a gun sock in the past, and all I had to do was snip the elastic/drawstring end with some scissors so the opening was wide enough...and then I "installed" self-adhesive Velcro so that I could close the end.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I think if you wet the sock , it might help stretch it . It's once it's dry it shrinks up. Worse if dried in a dryer. Or wet or wash it and hang to dry so the weight of the water stretches it or put it on something else to dry stretched so it's not out on the gun wet causing rust

I have no idea about guns, that was just a laundry tip!

edit on 7-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Walmart?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

That 22 is a great rifle and will serve you with honor for many,many,many years. Gun socks are bad news and do not protect the gun or scope. Spend the money and buy a hard case they can be had for 20 dollars.

Also what kind of scope is that sometimes they sell rifles with very nice optics without even knowing. I bought a cheap 22 and the scope ended up being worth 500 dollars.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
When i first saw this thread i thought it was the kind of toy you might need battery's for destinyone

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

edit on 7/9/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Nice accurate rifle you got there Des.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join