It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found an old pistol

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
i know someone that cast a old gun like that in plastic so they could keep it without a permit in his country.

it was also pin fire and the government said it would not be any danger because the ammo was not around any more and cast in plastic block it could not be used as a gun in say a robbery.

its not really worth much.
collectorebooks.com...
edit on 6-9-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I found an old pistol about 25 years ago. Someone had used it to stir paint... When I got it cleaned up I wished I hadn't. Someone also tried to scratch out the serial number. When it was covered in paint it was just an old artifact. With the paint removed it was a felony. How quickly things can change...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

No, I didn't think it was actually worth much, just the thrill of the find. On a side note though, the pair of dueling pistols I mentioned in the OP were sold under the table for 4000 euros.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Just to add a bit more, I was told of a find a few days ago that included, among other things, a Russian PPSh with the drum mag and a Sten gun. I'll see if I can contact the bloke and maybe get a few photos.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Looks almost identical to this: European -- Double Barrel Pin Fire Pistol

Handle is a bit different though...

Found with this search.

Also see: en.wikipedia.org...

And: Reloading kit for pinfire cartridge

edit on 6-9-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm no expert but the butt is reminiscent of a Belgian pinfire however it could be made in country. 1870's is the appropriate time. 10mm was popular in europe. 15mm in spain. $250 in rough shape. Yours however is in excellent shape so the previous posters range of $500-$1000 seems right hope this helps in solving the caliber question.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

That's actually very close except for the grip.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs
No no , you never clean it up..its value will be more if it has the original patina.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: echo4echo

Yep, I'd say closer to 15mm. I don't have it with me at the moment, but tomorrow ( hangover permitting....) I'll see if I can get an accurate measurement.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Don't clean it...

Earlier poster is right about original patina having value.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

No, I won't clean it. The patina is a lovely rust color without any actual pitting.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Nice Find...

Any History why it's all buried there ?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

The thing is, this whole area was a major front during the civil war, there's trenches and machine gun pits all over the place. you can't go for a walk in the fields without tripping over a grenade of every type or mortar or just pieces of shrapnel. Needless to say, metal detecting is a favorite pastime around here. A mate has the most incredible collection of grenades I've ever seen. I'll see if I can take a photo and post it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join