It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found an old pistol

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I'm actually from Aus, and our gun laws seem to be heading that way too. I used to have a nice collection of longarms and pistols back home until little Johnny sort of buggered it up for me.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to own that under license, unless it were to be regarded as a sawn off....

edit on 6/9/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
its defo not a 42 cal or 47 much to large a bore it looks like a old paper shell shot gun round late 1800's

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: pez1975

It only has a bit of light engraving and a serial number. A mate has it at the moment making me a nice display box for it, but tomorrow I'll have a closer look to see if I missed something.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
do not clean it what ever u do

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Is there any chance you have a resource to measure the bore diameter? An inexpensive digital vernier caliper should get you in the ballpark.

Finding ammo would be difficult to say the least, and there may be intrinsic value in the ammo itself... But damn... I'd want to let loose at least once.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
Center fire as opposed to rim fire isn't too big a deal.

Ummm... It's a pinfire... It's neither fish nor fowl... Ammo will be difficult obtain to say the least.
edit on 9/6/2014 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Mirthful Me

I thought center fire and pin fire were the same. Let me do some reading on this... Thank you for the correction.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I thought center fire and pin fire were the same. Let me do some reading on this... Thank you for the correction.

Okay....I remember now. Took a little refresher course to jog the memory. Yeah, you are right. Pinfire might not be an off the shelf item anymore. However, I know there are some shops around here that specialize in custom loads and antique guns. I wouldn't be surprised if they could do it.
edit on 6-9-2014 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Tomorrow I'll see if I can round up a set of verniers. If not II'll give you a guesstimate with the tape measure. The problem with looking for ammo is that here in Spain they're as strict as hell with firearms....I'm no doubt breaking a ton of laws by not handing the thing in.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
looks alot like a smith and wesson pin fire 54 cal for 1840's to be a little more specific

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If you were to take a .22 pellet gun in the UK and put a hugely powerful spring upgrade in it that put it over the power threshold you would also need a firearms certificate.

We are kind of weird like that (if you put a .22 spring air gun coil in a .177 pellet gun it would be as powerful as a basic firearm too despite the small caliber)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Ouch, please be careful... No need to run afoul of the local constabulary... And a shame, I was going to suggest getting it listed on one of the several antique firearm auction sites... While it won't land you the $3-$10K that some may speculate, I bet it would garner between $500 and $1k.

Could you also confirm the barrel has lands and grooves, otherwise known as a rifled barrel? Jut to put any speculation of it being a "shotgun" to bed.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
If you were to take a .22 pellet gun in the UK and put a hugely powerful spring upgrade in it that put it over the power threshold you would also need a firearms certificate.

We are kind of weird like that (if you put a .22 spring air gun coil in a .177 pellet gun it would be as powerful as a basic firearm too despite the small caliber)

I know, but good fun messing around with pellet guns and trying to mod them - takes me back to my teens

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Yeah, they made some pretty strange laws in Aus as well. For example, I had to turn in my little .22 Sportco rabbit gun because it was semi-auto, but I could keep my Mk3 SMLE .303 being bolt-action.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRisenPeople

Ditto.

I like to target shoot with them and take out local pests like pigeons and rats and things, i dont need a shotgun.

Shotguns are for people who cant aim properly

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: pez1975
looks alot like a smith and wesson pin fire 54 cal for 1840's to be a little more specific

If that was the case, it would be worth millions... As Smith & Wesson was founded in 1852... And according to you, also mastered time travel...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

You know, I honestly can't recall if it was rifled or not. I'll let you know when I get it back tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Yep. we shot just about anything back then. Wanted to take it up as a hobby again recently but wouldn't find the time. Plus the Missus and kids probably wouldn't eat rabbit/pigeon etc.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
it was a miss type was supposed to say 58 cal and 1870 not

collectorebooks.com... looks alot like this one

picturearchive.gunauction.com...

would shoot a round like this

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join