It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serviceman at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada alleges he was denied reenlistment for refusing to say

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
a reply to: HomerinNC

What is wrong with Al Jazeera?

It is a Muslim run news service so some people think it shouldn't be taken seriously. Unlike our Zionist run news services here in the states which should always be believed.

About Al-Jazeera America

8/20/2013 Al Jazeera Media Network launches as a new U.S.-based news channel providing both domestic news and international news for American audiences. The new channel is headquartered in New York City with 12 bureaus in major cities around the country and 3 broadcast centers.

It's just like the rest of them... Many of the players in this Media outlet have come from the other ones... Just an Islamic version of Zionist Propaganda in the West.
edit on 6-9-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
You have a right to disbelieve and you are forcing that right on others.

You can't force a right of choice on another person. That's ridiculous. Everyone HAS the right already. To believe or not to believe. No one is forcing anyone to NOT believe.

I wonder who was behind the change in Oct of last year... Hopefully, this will get straightened out.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Too factual for many w/an agenda... They are "Muslim" therefore 'they' can't report TheTruth.. But don't fret as many use this as a signature line..

"ALL Indians walk single file, at least the ONLY One I knew did..."

Shalom Aleichem
As-selamu Alaykum
namaste

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Matthew 5
33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

I wonder how many Christians have taken this oath of service?

Seems a bit oxymoronic to have "so help me God" at the end of a military oath when God told us to not take any oaths at all.

This pretty much speaks for all politicians as well on both sides, they all have to take an oath of office before being elected.
edit on 9/6/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
So what replaces god in the oath, just curious.

Cross my heart and hope to to die stick a needle in my eye ?

edit on 103030p://bSaturday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Nothing replaces it - it's just left out altogether, the way it ought to be.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

seems fitting to pledge some sort of allegiance when it comes to protecting and serving your fellow man, seem honorable,

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I agree. I don't see any reason someone else's god must be dragged into it, though.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
So what replaces god in the oath, just curious.

Nothing. You can solemnly swear to do something without bringing religion or god into it.

Here's the oath:

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God

The original oath did not contain the phrase, but that changed in 1960.

The 1789 enlistment oath was changed in 1960 by amendment to Title 10, with the amendment (and current wording) becoming effective in 1962.

Source
edit on 9/6/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

The original oath did not contain the phrase, but that changed in 1960.

probably a result of the cold war
we had to distinguish ourselves from those godless heathens after all

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
To me when someone makes a big whine when refusing to say God means they do believe but are against God. If they didn't believe in God, why make a big deal out of it? It would be the same as saying "So help me Daffy Duck" To the non believer it shouldn't be an issue either way. But it is because they actually hate God or the idea that there might be a God, and they don't like that because they are selfish, prideful, ARROGANT in the extreme, nostrils up in the air with hostility when anyone mentions "God"
LIARS are what they are. You can spit, fume, and sputter, but you aren't fooling everyone..
THE TRUTH HURTS DON'T IT?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

To me when someone makes a big whine when refusing to say God means they do believe but are against God. If they didn't believe in God, why make a big deal out of it? It would be the same as saying "So help me Daffy Duck"

One of the Ten Commandments is "Do not take the name of the Lord, thy god in vain.

For a non-believer to ask a god, any god, for help in fullfilling an oath is not just blasphemous, it is in direct violation of the 10th Commandment. If YOU believe in God, and seek to follow His commandments, you would not put non-believers in the position of blasphemy and breaking a fundamental commandment.

According to Matthew 5:33-37 Jesus said:

“Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. (NIV)

So Jesus is telling you not to swear an oath at all, let alone one by heaven. Refusing to swear an oath by God has nothing to do with being an atheist at all, it has to do with being a Christian and following the instructions of Christ himself.

You can spit, fume, and sputter, but you aren't fooling anyone with your pseudo-Christian bluster.

THE TRUTH HURTS DON'T IT?

edit on 6/9/2014 by rnaa because: markup, grammar

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

Whatever it is you are talking about has nothing whatsoever to do with my earlier post.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Why would you want to force someone to vow an oath to a god that they don't believe in, or according to you, that they hate?

WHY?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Why would you want to force someone to vow an oath to a god that they don't believe in, or according to you, that they hate?

WHY?

I never said, nor intended they be forced to do anything. What I was trying to convey was the ones who don't believe at all, would not care what is said oath wise or anything else. The fact that they do care shows that perhaps they DO believe after all.,.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

My reenlistment 'ceremony' was in a motor pool over in the sandbox. I was the only one and the CG, DCG, COS, DCOS and the damned CSM all decided to come watch one of their little E-4's re-up.

I'm also an atheist and didn't say 'So help me god.'

Nobody cared.

Something tells me that there is more to this story. Most likely the kid is a #-heel.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Whatever it is you are talking about has nothing whatsoever to do with my earlier post.

Yes it does. It directly address the content of the post to which I replied.

You claim that an atheist should have no qualms about swearing an oath to a god in which he/she does not believe. But your own god declares that to be a violation of a fundamental commandment. By insisting that the atheist swear an oath to your god you are insisting that he violates one of your fundamental principles. Surely, an atheist swearing an oath to God is taking the name of God in vain.

Furthermore, since the very purpose of swearing an oath to God, or any god, is to beg that god's help in fulfilling that oath, an atheist doing so is calling in to doubt the sincerity of his oath. Merely mouthing the words to satisfy the witnesses calls the integrity of the oath taker into severe doubt. Its the same as making a promise with your fingers crossed behind your back - it is no promise and it is no oath.

You completely dismiss the solemn nature of an oath by claiming that an atheist should have no moral compunction against making an oath to a god in which he does not believe. The acquiescence in such a farce would prove the atheist's faithlessness in the purpose of the oath. Refusal, on the other hand, demonstrates his moral consistency and understanding of the importance of the oath.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The Airforce? Again?

Not the first time the Airforce has tried to push God (and Christianity).

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

What? An oath is not to be taken lightly and you want someone to swear one to a friggin deity they don't believe exists?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

What? An oath is not to be taken lightly and you want someone to swear one to a friggin deity they don't believe exists?

It's still required in the UK.

But, it's definitely not OK in America.

The Airforce has really been belligerent when it comes to Christianity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join