It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Writing on the Wall - Rise of the Religious Right

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I can see the writing on the wall if no one else can. People think that we are entering an atheist state, where science is finally going to be used to promote healthy policies and there is a progressive agenda focused on improving humankind. It is truly a great time.

But that is not where we are headed. The poor economy is leaving those under 30 unable to have the resources to support themselves or defend themselves against older bullies with money, family power and religious power. If there is a religious zone somewhere in the U.S., for example, people don't have the money to escape to more idealistic places. They don't have the clout to fight back against blatant lies, even about creation - that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old.

I believe that God could work through natural processes to make creation, and that could take billions of years. That is because I am a moderate. But that line of moderation has been crossed. Religious people are now taking the idea that the Earth is only 10,000 years old as more mainstream. And with the economy preventing people from fighting back, this could be the predominant viewpoint. Not anyone can afford a liberal arts education anymore. In fact, the liberal arts college I graduated from in 2010 has since taken steps to become more like a trade school.

When it comes to helping people, religious people don't do it right because they base their moral values on superstition, instead of simply focusing on helping people. They don't bother with that - and instead focus on the very things that they pretend to hate, like materialism, and helping themselves at the expense of others.

Examples of this include the blatant racism I hear from religious people around me, and the tendency for them to make an argument without any basis and say it's true - and get this, do you know where the justication comes from?

The Big Stick. This is where someone says something that is patently false, and then enforces their viewpoint through having more power or money than the people that rightly point out the flaws in the argument.
This is the opposite of the Big Encylcopedia philosophy where debates are actually had, and a legitimate point, or a point at all, is taken into consideration and a rebuttal issued. This is mainly the fault of the liberals, as they are the ones who started ignoring criticism. The problem is, in the end, liberals are going to lose out if no one listens to the other side, because they are the ones in the minority power-wise and they are the ones with the legitimate points (in a lot of cases, at least) that will be ignored.

So we are moving from a Biggest Encyclopedia mentality to a Biggest Stick mentality.

The House of Representatives is the most extremist it has been in history, and I suspect the Senate and the Presidency to also follow, unlike other people who suspect another Democrat in office - look at how much irrational hatred of Obama there is, and you can see, irrationality runs the day and will get the votes this time around. I suspect someone similar to Bohner in the Presidency.

The bottom line is that our policy is not going to be based on what is best, but what people with limited intellect and experience but a lot of power think is best - enforced by the use of force. The powerful could be religious leaders trying to teach science, unethical, closed-minded goons trying to enforce ethics or the rich trying to make policy for the poor they have no experience with.

When it comes to religion, I expect hard-line Muslims to take over, because no one is stopping them and they can take advantage of the religious power vacuum brought on by Atheists. In fact, the policies of the last decade, although leading to legitimate criticism, have left over people not willing to take the steps needed to stop a legitimate threat (this time) with ISIS and other Islamic radicals.

Religion is going to see a major comeback, far more radical than anyone has seen it in our lifetimes. Science, even though proven true, will be decried as false. We are seeing a rise in this sentiment with Young Earth creationism being taken seriously, something that has not been taken seriously, even by devout Catholics, for decades if not a century.
edit on 06amSat, 06 Sep 2014 05:03:01 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

So many labels. I hope to be moderate we dispense with labeling. But no matter.

I care less what both extremes think or say and more about what they do.

And I agree that is getting out of hand.

People that are religious are getting guiltier of materialism and waging endless war. Its like they need to assuage their guilt by affirming their piousness more than ever.

And the self believers have to affirm their beliefs in no higher authority by smashing others and their beliefs by conquering their country.

Was that narrow minded enough?

edit on 6-9-2014 by intrptr because: clarity?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This is "Yang" burning out.. You are "awake" those still vibing in '3rd gear' will attract each other with the 'negative energy' You're typing about, notice how NOW You don't even have to hear anyone talk and You know they are full of crap? How about walking through the grocery store and You see folks for no reason turn around and two aisles later they're arguing or in some sort of 'turmoil'? Why do You think that is? The 'more' You notice of this 'phenomenon' the more it seems to be spinning. Yeah, its not. It is part/parcel of "the process" I AM sure You also noticed that besides religion™ the military and politics are also "in the toilet"? They are also "Yang" You were under the impression it was going to be like Led's "Stairway to Heaven"

You're probably 'newly awake' ? I'd bet Your dreams are more lucid and vivid, You now have a knowledge of crap You never studied, finite math, religions™, history, science, ... Have You started seeing the orbs yet? They will usually show up after The Spirit Guide(s).. Have You gotten rid of ALL the clothes and crap You don't "need"? That too is coming..

It goes easier/ it is a smoother "transition" if You don't watch the "lame stream media", Your empathy has increased 10x so each time You notice the "Other You" in trouble, You now 'bring this w/You' . They are on 'another path' and that is "fine".. If You step back You'll see, if You look inside You'll see.

While "they" are hanging onto "Yang" embrace the Yin.. There is no 'good' or 'bad' there just 'is'...

Now 'teach' what You've learned/learning.. You'll notice Your sleep has probably also been "crappy"? There are some meditations (I do it all day .. I even sneak in an Alfred Epstein 'thought experiment' every now and then..

The 'energy' (akasha) is here/there to be 'used' and the more You use, the more You get...
You have nothing to worry about, just make sure Your chakras are 'clear' .. You are where You are supposed to be, plus Your an Eternal Being so where You going?

Be The Light.
namaste

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Wouldn't a Muslim just be a guy that got lied to in Arabic?

For this "common passerby" I'd listen to religious™ people's "crap" if they paid their taxes.. but because they don't, I don't. And don't get Me started on that cheap comic book paper that the JehovahWitnesses™ use, the colors run and bleed, therefore "distorting" the message...

The less "judging" You do the more You'll see..

As for the Catholics. Frank is here and in place to "clean it out", now if "they" don't whack Him like a couple ago...

In mY above I forgot to mention the 3 signs of the Yin-The Devine Feminine.
#1) Daytona 500 -pole sitter: Danica Patrick
#2) Mixed-Martial Artist - headliner: Ms. Rouse
#3) Little League World Series: -Star: Mo'ne Davis

All 3 were Yang. These ALL fell to Yin. You are "awake" Welcome.

"They" are You.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

So tired of this religious argument...I see no religious people pushing their agenda on me...

Just because you here religious people arguing issues with you it does not mean that everywhere else the same issue is going on..just as the media would like to point out racism happening all the time when it's not...you and the media perpetuate this state of paranoia. I have seen three churches within ten miles of my house close down replaced with nothing...I don't see the Christians losing their minds or protesting, burning down other places of worship.

You pushing your agenda of no religion is just as bad as someone pushing their agenda of religion..but it's a free country so you can voice your opinion.

Let extreme muslims take over the middle east...I personally do not care...the terrorists or jihadists started this ball rolling, let them deal with it..people cheered when the towers fell, let them cheer as their neighbors heads are removed...
edit on 6-9-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Young Earth Creationists are a very small group of people that will never be able to push that belief in to the mainstream. I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. Nor the last, I'm sure, but I think it is literalist/fundamentalists, who are seeing the writing on the wall. They are a dying breed. People are turning away in droves toward more moderate, and even liberal xtinaity.
Those like Westboro, and that preacher who wants to incarcerate all the LGBT are taking their last stand, because they've lost the war, but they won't go down until the last one falls.

I can see the writing on the wall if no one else can. People think that we are entering an atheist state, where science is finally going to be used to promote healthy policies and there is a progressive agenda focused on improving humankind. It is truly a great time.

An atheist state? Probably not. Atheists would be content to let everyone have their own beliefs, as long as they don't push them or force them on others.
A truer statement would be to say, we could be looking at an anti-theist state in the future, which would be no better than the inquisition, the Salem witch trials, etc. Obviously, we aren't there yet. Though there are many pushing hard for it. But mark my words. The day will come, when the first openly atheist men/women will take their seats in Wash DC.

When that happens...
edit on 9/6/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Don't forget skeptical non religious, non atheists too. :-)

People like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I can see the writing on the wall if no one else can.

Oh, others can Darkbake, it's just that not many are listening to them either.

After WWII a youthful boomer generation emerged, to young adulthood with many breaking free of the dogmatic teachings and beliefs of older generations. This of course led to civil and social unrest freaking the bejesus out of many in the older generation and those who held tight to their religion.

While many of the boomer generation headed into "party time USA" many of the religious folk regrouped and began to organize small community, county and state governments by getting involved in politics and electing "their" people to water boards and commissions and on up the line. In the 70's while many teens were drugging and rock and rolling, these others were putting in place a religious structure in rural and southern America.

There have been numerous books out on this subject over the last 4 decades but as I mentioned above, few have been listening.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That's not how it works.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Klass, I truly respect your opinions, however athiest history tells a different story in many instances.

atheist movements and states were every bit as bad as any inquisition.
edit on 103030p://bSaturday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I'm sure we're headed for a one world religion but, that
religion is going to embrace science. Even now it's all
going by the book whereby accordingly, you're close.

SnF

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Looks like the "Religious Right" is the latest whipping post.

The elections creep near.

And many people are shaking in their boots.

What will a complete control of Congress by the "Religious Right" mean?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
There are christians in Congress? who knew?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Young Earth Creationists are a very small group of people that will never be able to push that belief in to the mainstream. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yea the truth is the big conservative and religious right push was back in the late 70s and early 80s. Nothing seen these days really compares to that timeframe.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like the "Religious Right" is the latest whipping post.

The elections creep near.

And many people are shaking in their boots.

What will a complete control of Congress by the "Religious Right" mean?

The hard left may have just blown it after the first 4 of Obama. This political "stagnation" is just part of the power balance built into the constitution.

Yep the left had blew it and that's what they are really afraid of. Now they are back to their default position of drum beating.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

lol sounds like a bias hack piece. I stop reading after the first paragraph. That's how bias it sounds.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Klass, I truly respect your opinions, however athiest history tells a different story in many instances.

atheist movements and states were every bit as bad as any inquisition.

I think the problem lies with definition, as well as some amount of social engineering.

History frequently equates christianity with one sect, therefore painting all christians with one wide brush. The same could be said for any religion, of course. I'm sure most christians are horrified when they are labeled inquisitioners, along with the Catholics.
In the same way, not all atheists are anti-theists. However, most anti-theists start out as atheists. It is unhelpful that atheism is painted with that same wide brush, that christians hate to be painted with. Especially, when it is the history books doing the painting.
The history you speak of is anti-theist, not atheist.

Star for the post. I think this is something that unfortunately, needs to be said over and over again.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

What you really mean is an anti theist culture. There is no way to have an official theist state with the constitution in place.

Many these days confuse what the constitution grants. No one can stop an atheist or a christian from running for congress based on their ideas about God.

What folks are afraid of after 8 years is looking at another cycle of left politics in the courts, out of control environmental wac jobs, ect. The left looks like they know the tide has turned on them.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Yea the truth is the big conservative and religious right push was back in the late 70s and early 80s. Nothing seen these days really compares to that timeframe.

I'm not so sure about that. YEC's may not be pushing in to the mainstream anytime soon, but the hardcore christian conservative movement is full steam ahead and up in everyone's face lately.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join