It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police, some armed with AR-15 rifles, fired 61 shots in killing man with BB gun at Texas truck stop

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy
I am in agreement I too think the police response was excessive.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

But if a civilian shot the same guy sixty times he'd be in jail for life…

Ah no.

If 6 civilians shot the same guy 60 times...perhaps...

But I bet they would argue that they felt their lives were threatened by Jose wielding a weapon at them..

Seems people suffer a bit if cognitive dissonance when it comes to these sorts of things..

If it was a civilian that shot Jose, he'd be applauded by everyone and protected by stand your ground laws!

But nope, the cops did it, so it's police brutality.

Damn hypocrisy

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

I wouldn't applaud anyone that killed this man regardless of the laws that allow murder like stand your ground and castle laws.
He didn't try and kill anyone, why does he need to die?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Where did I say he needed to die?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

this 'Probable cause' scenario..to be syndrome.

I like that. You should patent it.

Or this one.

"I swear to God your Honor, he was gong to hit me so I hit him back first."

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

If it was a civilian that shot Jose, he'd be applauded by everyone and protected by stand your ground laws!

I'm not "everyone". Lots others like me in that zone.

If a civvie shot someone with a BB gun ten times with an AR, there'd be hell to pay and you know it.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

But are the AR-15s automatic weapons and you can shoot multiple rounds in a second?

What Punisher75 said in his reply to you. The correct term is "Semi Auto". The Magazine capacity is a minimum of 20 rounds.

I don't know the details of what actually happened as I wasn't a witness. I am sure that the police minimize their part while exaggerating the "suspects" role. The media will of course exaggerate everything.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

How quickly we forget..

Trayvon Martin comes to mind.

Yeah, there was hell to pay with that too, but he wasn't armed, yet Zimmerman got off due to stand your ground laws. Jose Garza was armed and refused to put down his weapon.

What do you expect is going to happen?

ETA:

Here's another example where a guy with a dog leash got shot by a civilian who "stood his ground"

usatoday30.usatoday.com...

If Americans want a gun culture, cops are gonna react accordingly...especially if civilians are allowed to shoot first, ask questions later too!

edit on 6-9-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I'm not "everyone". Lots others like me in that zone.

If a civvie shot someone with a BB gun ten times with an AR, there'd be hell to pay and you know it.

OK, that is assuming the average civvie even knows how to get one. I know, there are a lot of online stores and magazines to buy them from. But why would the average civvie even need one?

I know, Constitutional Right to have them. But it just seems to me that some guns and rifles should just not be sold. But that's my opinion. I've never heard of anyone dying from a BB gun, but if that's what people want, then let them have them, just don't try to shoot at people with them.

I think some people would be capable of taking the "Stand your ground" law to an extreme. It seems to me that people would just sometimes go out looking for someone to shoot. I don't know though, my personal choice is not to have a gun, because I don't feel compelled to need one.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

If Americans want a gun culture, cops are gonna react accordingly…especially if civilians are allowed to shoot first, ask questions later too!

I am pretty sure they "pro acted". A BB gun has a distinctive sound. It is hardly life threatening to 6 dudes with automatic rifles and handguns.

My bad, do we have video?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I don't know though, my personal choice is not to have a gun, because I don't feel compelled to need one.

Personally, I think that is a very brave choice, and likely the most honorable. Is it that you abhor taking a life, regardless of the circumstances, even if your own is at stake?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Are you trying to say they should wait to be shot at first? I'm confused by your comment?

Yes there's a video of Jose being shot, surely you've seen it.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

What ever gave you that thought?
The news here is just as slanted as anything you'll find on MSM.
On Topic.When one fires, which is all it should have taken, they all join in like it's a free for all. Can't miss a chance to pull that trigger ya know.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Nope. Did see this though…

(back one page)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6-9-2014 by intrptr because: portion redacted, wrong post

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I agree. One officer to another, "You had to be there, it was gangster!"

Everyone,"Get sooommme!"

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I don't know though, my personal choice is not to have a gun, because I don't feel compelled to need one.

Personally, I think that is a very brave choice, and likely the most honorable. Is it that you abhor taking a life, regardless of the circumstances, even if your own is at stake?

I would abhor the taking of a life so much that I can't even touch a gun. But it stems back from when I was 12 years-old and my dad having me shoot the Magnum 45. I thought even at that age that if I could shoot the leaves in the tree instead of the can, then what would happen in the future if I did have a gun and accidentally shot someone?

When I was that young, there was something inherently understood about the dangers it holds, not just for me, but for someone else. I hear most gun proponents say "don't pick up a gun without the intent of using it". I don't want to get to that intent.

If my life were in danger that is one thing, but if a child were in danger, I would think differently, but at the same time I would be afraid to accidentally shoot the child.

It does cause a moral conflict in me, but perhaps others can reconcile that within themselves. But I do understand at the same time that those who obtain them illegally do so with the intent to kill.

There are also other things I would do to save lives. I always help the people in my building know if we have a tornado drill. They tell me that if the tornado gets them then it gets them. My response is always,"I can't make that decision for someone else, so they have to be warned".

I simply can't get a gun. My brother took me to a pawn shop and I saw the huge handguns and was shocked that people could just sell them that easily. I don't think I can even think about a small one either. To me, the cons outweigh the pros and I would prefer that if someone else had a gun who was to protect me, I would hope they know how to shoot correctly.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk

Are you trying to say they should wait to be shot at first? I'm confused by your comment?

I would generally think a threat should present itself before unloading a hail of bullets. Are you trying to say they should fire 60 shots at everyone on the assumption that anyone they encounter could have a stashed weapon?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I would abhor the taking of a life so much that I can't even touch a gun.

You are well loved, Human.

I have owned, shot and traded many in a past life. Now I prefer to let others do the killing. Its no longer in me.

I count that as a blessing in disguise. So far I have lived over fifty years with that in mind and still here.

I respect you for your stance on it. It isn't judgmental, aggressive or anti gun.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

You mean the part where the guard told the cops it was only a bb gun?

If so then do you really think they'd take his word for it?

What if he was wrong?

Seriously, why people can't their brain to think that far is beyond me.

Would you trust the word of someone on such a matter?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

No, and you know I'm not.

When 6 cops are pointing their weapons at you, you do what they tell you.

Pretty simple really.

They had confiscated a bb gun just hours earlier, clearly he knew what was going on, so using his mental illness as an excuse won't fly..

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join