It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran Has Tried Arrested Al Qaeda Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Apparently, Iran is not in collusion with al Qaeda as we have been originally told by the U.S. governmen0. Iran has arrested and tried numerous al Qaeda members, including some high-ranking ones. Verdicts have been issued, although the Iranian government is not specifying what the verdicts are. This probably will not make the U.S. government happy, however, since it has repeatedly told Iran and Afghanistan to turn all terrorists, namely al Qaeda, over to U.S. authorities.

story.news.yahoo.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's judiciary has tried a number of arrested al Qaeda members and verdicts have been issued, a senior judiciary official was quoted as saying on Monday.

Tehran Justice Department (news - web sites) head Abbasali Alizadeh told the semi-official Fars news agency Iran's "high-ranking officials are satisfied with the issued verdicts," but did not elaborate on what the verdicts had been.

News of the trials is likely to anger Washington, which has repeatedly called on Iran to hand over all al Qaeda suspects it is holding. Guilty verdicts sentencing them to long jail terms would make that an even more distant prospect.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Of course this news will anger Washington, as it destroys one of their possible justifications to invade Iran. What intrigues me the most is why the U.S. government would be upset over a different country punishing al Qaeda. Is it that important the U.S. does it themselves? Or is there something else going on here?

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Banshee]

Sep

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Iran agreed to turn over the Al-Qaede members in exchange for the MKO I believe, and the US refused. Its good to see Iran is actually putting the terrorists on trial unlike the US.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think the U.S. is upset that one of their forms of justification for war was crushed.

What surprises me is that Iran is a supporter of terrorism, especially against America and Israel, yet Iran is totally against al Qaeda?

Sep

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
What surprises me is that Iran is a supporter of terrorism, especially against America and Israel, yet Iran is totally against al Qaeda?

al-Qaede is a diffrent type of Islam than Iran. Al-Qaede is wahabist, while Iranians are Shia. The hate eachother's guts.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
What else is ironic is that the U.S. had trouble catching al Qaeda members when they were in the United States while Iran has nabbed most of them!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

actually, evidenced and documented facts suggest that this is not surprising: since the advent of the taliban and their afghan-pakistani-saudi (us-backed) networks, these adopted very hostile positions towards Iran, on the ideological, political, religious levels. indeed, tensions grew so much, that Iran and the taliban regime almost went to war in the late nineties. and the taleban murdered innocent Iranian diplomats in Afghanistan, which shows that unlike pentagon propaganda would suggest, Iran is more a target of "terrorism" than anything else. alquida also tried to destabilize Iran.

top topics

join