It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we have the right to defend our homes?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
Thats another point against gun ownership here DE, the chance of the intruder overpowering you then turning your own weapon on you, or/and using your weapon to kill another innocent person later!

Well, not exactly. More like responsible gun ownership. Can't have EVERY single redneck and hillbilly with a shotgun...people should learn how to use a firearm properly.

DE

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Well, I have multiple weapons all of which I shoot frequently. My primarly line of defense against voilent home invasion is an AR15 and two 30 round mags that I keep handy.

I'm not really sure how using my guns keeps them out of the hands of criminals though. If anything, keeping it accessible to me quickly in case of an emergency as opposed to locked up would make it easier for the criminal gain acces to it should I not be home when the event happens (the others stay locked up when not in use).

And yes, the gun would be traced back to me when it is recovered. There isn't much of a way around that. However, I keep very close track of all my weapons and am pretty sure I would know if any of them were missing, so it would be reported stolen as soon as I was made aware of it.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

Thats another point against gun ownership here DE, the chance of the intruder overpowering you then turning your own weapon on you, or/and using your weapon to kill another innocent person later!

Well, not exactly. More like responsible gun ownership. Can't have EVERY single redneck and hillbilly with a shotgun...people should learn how to use a firearm properly.

DE

So your going to allow some folk a firearm but disciminate against others? what criteria? No blondes, nobody called "Cletus" what?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

So your going to allow some folk a firearm but disciminate against others? what criteria? No blondes, nobody called "Cletus" what?

Giving a stupid person a gun is like giving a blind man a job driving sarin cross-country with no help- a recipe for disaster. I'm sory, but rednecks have stupid cornered, fierce hard.

DE

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Criteria should be:
1) Legal citizen
2) Of proper age (either 18 or 21)
3) No violent crime history
4) Mentally stable

then again, thats my opinion, but I'll tell you what - God help the man that comes into my house thinking I don't have a gun or won't use it. I have several different types for several different situations, all readilly at hand.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
In Tennessee we have the right to carry a concealed weapon. This works only if you are aware of your surroundins. In 1995 I was knifed and did not realize it until after it happened. (30 seconds - 1 minute) Being complacent is the worst way to go.

Someone breaking into my house is another issue. I have 2 dogs and "Beware of Dog" signs in the yard and home security provider. If someone is willing to get through those I can only assume they are dangerous and will be met with a .45 hollow-point at center mass. I wont have time to aim for their legs. But I will tell the police that is what I was aiming for.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Yes, we certainly should have the right to defend our homes. After all, the police don't seem to be very good at it, sometimes taking up to an hour to respond to a call.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Just put a big "Beware of Chupacabra" sign up. Confusion and mystisicm alone should keep most people out.

To answer the question, absolutely, we have a right to defend our homes. Just as people have a right to be shot breaking into them.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
There was a case here in the US a while back where a man broke into a family's house while they were on vacation and somehow ended up getting stuck in their garage for like a week. Of course when the family got home and discovered the intruder, they called the police and the man was arrested. Fair enough right? Well, the guy did his time for the burglary, then the guy got out and filed a civil suit against the family as he had no way to exit the house and had to eat dog food to survive, and to add injury to insult, the bastage won and was awarded $100,000 BY A JURY. They would have been better off shooting the guy and facing criminal court than paying that turd 100 grand.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Wannabe burglars have two choices. Either they leave my house alone or they find themselves walking to the hospital with a red hot piece of metal embedded in their sensitive parts.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I live in the UK, and am one of the minority who does own guns (shotguns.)

We had a situation almost 2 years ago where two young lads broke into our house at around 3pm just 30 minutes after I had arrived home from the clay shooting ground.

My wife was feeding my 3 year old son in our kitchen, and I was just off the kitchen cleaning one of my shotguns before putting it back in the gun safe. My wife heard what she thought was a disturbance in the front room and called me in from the utility room. I carried in the gun (unloaded, but several cartridges still in my pocket) and I went to open the kitchen door to the hall.

As I looked through I saw one of the lads trying to carry my very large tv out of the front door. The second was just the other side of the door and slammed it in my face telling us to stay in the kitchen and they would leave.

When I shouted that I was armed (unusual for the UK) they both laughed and then said if I didnt shut up they would come in and rape my wife. I told them again I was armed and they both came bursting into the kitchen.

Their faces were priceless as I brought up Mr 12g Winchester, and one of them started crying. I told them both to go into the utility room (no windows) and told my wife to call the police immediately.

They both played ball and the older one (around 20 I thought) got a bit mouthy but still scared. The younger one (around 14/15) was pretty scared too, asking me not to kill him (!)

I gave the older one a savage beating for the 'rape' threat (only fists and head used, no weapons), and left it at that.

The police turned up and took them both away, and I was temporarily arrested for the percieved use of a shotgun in apprehending a criminal(s). My case was summarily dismissed, but then so was the two boys who were deemed to have received their punishment from me, and that further police involvement was not needed.

I would probably do the same again, but thinking about it the whole situation could have been a lot worse. Luckily my house seems to be a no-go area for the local criminals, so I can't complain I suppose.

Merkin.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
As a Christian, I believe you have every right to defend your home. In fact, Exodus 22:2 says: If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.

There was capital punishment commanded of God (in fact it still is) for murder). But if someone killed someone breaking into his home, tough luck for the thief. The person killing the thief wasn't punished.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I watch Judge Judy a lot, and there's sometimes a case where some idiot didn't have his dog tied up, dog gets killed/hurt, owner sues person who accidentally ran over Fido. Judge Judy points out in her ever-charming way that they have no case because they weren't obeying a leash law.

You'd think some people would figure it out. If a person is where they're not supposed to be (like stealing), and they get shot, they should NEVER be allowed to sue the homeowner for shooting them!

I firmly believe in Second Amendment rights. My husband has a gun. We keep it where our toddler can't get to it.

As some signs say, never mind the dog, beware of the owner!

My dad had a .357 Magnum. One time a couple punks were going into his backyard. He went out onto the back deck, with Ol' Trusty in his hand and asked them what they were doing. One of them, from what I heard, wet his pants!

Dogs are pretty useful too. We used to have a Doberman, named Heidi. One time we heard someone sneaking around our backyard, and Dad let Heidi out, and she tore after them! Never seen anyone hop a fence that fast!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkin
The police turned up and took them both away, and I was temporarily arrested for the percieved use of a shotgun in apprehending a criminal(s). My case was summarily dismissed, but then so was the two boys who were deemed to have received their punishment from me, and that further police involvement was not needed.

I would probably do the same again, but thinking about it the whole situation could have been a lot worse. Luckily my house seems to be a no-go area for the local criminals, so I can't complain I suppose.
Merkin.

Excellent reply merkin.

The thing that bothers me, and i suppose it bothers you too, is the fact that you were arrested for apprehending these criminals. As far as i can see and understand, you did nothing wrong.
OK, so the shot gun wasn't loaded, but it did the trick, and those two wont be bothering you again.

The fact that the courts deemed they had enough punishment from you absolutely stinks. If there should be a next time, i bet you wouldn't even call the police and just dish out your own form of punishment instead.
It seems to me thats all these people understand.

If the legal system wont deal with them, then they are throwing the ball back into our courts.

To me, that says "you deal with them"

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ravenna
Yes, we certainly should have the right to defend our homes. After all, the police don't seem to be very good at it, sometimes taking up to an hour to respond to a call.

That's exactly the point. The real job of the police is to investigate crimes that have occurred, not prevent them from happening. Many people make the mistake of believing it is the other way around.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm in America ... and we can shoot anyone we want. We have "Freedom"

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Down hur in Texas you have the right to shoot any intruder into your home, wether they are running awayfrom you or not.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
What kind of cowardly hero shoots someone in the back, then still has the balls to try and justify it!
Glad I live In Australia, the home of common sense and reason!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Check this story out on Infowars today, the guys uses his gun to defend himself, then the cops take his gun away for not having a permit...

www.infowars.com...
I guess he betetr hurry up and get him a permit beofre that guy gets out of jail...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HISTER
I'm in America ... and we can shoot anyone we want. We have "Freedom"

Don't be so sure there Hister. As I posted earlier the laws are very different depending upon what state you live in. And to make matters worse the interpretation of those laws can vary in some areas depedning upon what town/municipality you live in. You need to check with your local police. Most have a 'use of deadly force' document they can provide to you.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join