It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kiev, E. Ukraine militia sign ceasefire agreement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Kiev, E. Ukraine militia sign ceasefire agreement

Kiev officials and representatives of the two self-proclaimed republics in southeastern Ukraine have reportedly agreed to a ceasefire, as the contact group met behind closed doors in Belarus.

The truce agreement reportedly comes into force starting 6 pm local time (15:00 GMT).

“A protocol to start a ceasefire at 18.00 on Friday was signed. The Protocol contains 14 items, including all aspects of control, exchange of prisoners and other issues,” the Interfax news agency said, citing its sources.

The self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic has confirmed the ceasefire agreement on its official Twitter account.

The two sides accompanied by representatives of Russia and the OSCE were meeting in the Belorussian capital, Minsk, in an attempt to end the bloodshed in eastern Ukraine.

In their recent phone call on September 3, the presidents of Russia and Ukraine, Vladimir Putin and Petro Poroshenko, showed a willingness to find an agreement to resolve the months-long conflict in the southeastern Ukraine.

Following the conversation with his counterpart, President Putin laid out a seven-point plan that could help find a solution.

RT

Kiev can't even fight the few militias.. We'll see how long that will hold. I'll be posting updates.

edit on 5-9-2014 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Hellas

I hope they find a solution as the West really do need Putin and China to help with ISIS.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Cease fire or Truce?

We'll see. Cessation of Hostilities just means okay, stop shooting.

As far as I know, the EU still wants the Ukrainians in their debt ridden fold.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I am not so sure I would agree that the EU really wanted Ukraine but had to tow that line because of the Washington fools .The IMF was willing to say they would commit ,what was it 17 billion but only gave them 2 until the Kiev gang came good on taking the east . With this new recognition of the party in the east willing to fight it out Kiev may have to concede defeat and not get the much needed $$ to enslave the whole country .This should be a good sign that the people in the EU may have a warmer winter and the east Ukraine can rebuild their economy and deal with either and or both sides . a reply to: intrptr

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I give it 12 hours before Kiev shells more civilians!

I hope I'm wrong!!!

Personally I think that Mr.Poroschenko is desperate to join NATO, & for NATO to take over a battle he knows he can't win!!!
edit on 5-9-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: 2nd line required!!!

edit on 5-9-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

This should be a good sign that the people in the EU may have a warmer winter and the east Ukraine can rebuild their economy

You raised a good point. In war, the intent to conquer and subjugate isn't just about destroying infrastructure and capturing territory. Shooting will only accomplish so much. Turning off water and power will now take their own toll, the real desired result.

The "campaign" was successful in that regard. Thats why they stopped shooting. They announce a "cease fire", the world breathes a sigh of relief and looks away.

Now winter is coming, I hear those are cold over there. Without being able to wash and flush or (or keep warm) people will die in droves.

In spring the survivors will be better subjects. Thats the plan anyway, imo.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I thought I would post the latest crosstalk as they are having a good discussion about the latest .

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think it would be welcomed by lots of EU members.

West may lift Russia sanctions if all terms of Ukraine ceasefire observed — Obama

NEWPORT (Wales), September 05. /ITAR-TASS/. US and EU sanctions against Russia are in force but may be lifted if all points of the agreement on ceasefire in Ukraine are implemented, US President Barack Obama told journalists after a NATO summit in Wales.

en.itar-tass.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I can see why Ukraine would agree to this. They are getting their butts spanked hard, and about to lose mauriopol. Without the ceasefire, they would soon be losing most of the country.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

West may lift Russia sanctions if all terms of Ukraine ceasefire observed — Obama

As refreshing as it is, to hear some "sane" voices on this issue, I doubt that the sanctions will be removed. I'm willing to take those bets to the bank too.

You have a lot of "half" fascists state in Europe, that get away with their fascism because they're in NATO. For example, Afghanistan ... what is Europe doing there, doing what the Soviets failed to do. And advertising, even on TV, that they are literally murdering people travelling in the desert ... along with their donkey, because they're suspected of being Taliban.

But I disagree with Crosstalk in, in that Russia has lost. It lost, because it's been made the big bad wolf, and since it's the big bad wolf. Sanctions can't be lifted ... unless NATO accepts, Russia not being a threat. If it does, it will again ... become irrelevant. So, while "some" sanctions will be lifted. And only to a limited extent or with "precautions". NATO states, with Britain and the US in the leading chair, are fully intent on playing Saddam Hussein on Putin. And those few section lifted will only be lifted as a necessity, but the main concept of Russia being an "evil" enemy, will be very much kept open. And new weapons, troops and money will be channeled into Ukraine and rest of old Russia, for the purpose of destabilising the Region.

edit on 5/9/2014 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Kiev can't even fight the few militias..

Especially the ones backed by Russia and their troops that are vacationing in a war zone.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The Italian army has the answer for peace, now if the rest of the world armies are following we can finally have world peace :

Italian army is going to grow weed

Italy gets "state weed '. The army is going to grow cannabis for people who need it for medical reasons.

The cannabis is grown in the Military Pharmaceutical Institute in Florence. That`s what has been decided by the Ministries of Defence and Health after much wrangling. The institute produces already other medicines for the military.

Up until now Italy imported "therapeutic cannabis' from abroad for a high price. That cannabis is used to treat pain and certain nerve disorders.

www.rtlnieuws.nl...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Are they just shelling all civilians where the separatists have left, or are they only shelling where the separatists are hold up?

Because that is exactly what Ukraine is doing, but it sounds more conspiratorial the way you say it.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Analysis from yesterday:

Yes, the Novorussians had God, morale, common sense, the Truth, the GRU, history, decency, international law, covert support from Russia and whatever else on their side but that does not explain the mind-boggling casualty figures of the Ukie side.

The nazis are shelling just now. Expect some more false flags (like MH17 with "implementing problems").

Tomorrow will be huge. Not only is the NATO summit concluding, but the Ukies are meeting with the Novorussians under the watchful eyes of Russia and Belarus. Apparently topics will range from energy to the peace plan (the EU probably will want guarantees for its gas in exchange for supporting the plan). The biggest threat now is that the AngloZionists and their Nazi allies in the Ukraine will be very very angry if a deal is made. Frankly, Poroshenko is taking a big personal risk, but since his situation is already very precarious, he might have figured that an 11th hour "rebranding" of himself as a "peacemaker" might not be the worst possible outcome, especially if the Germans try hard to protect him. As for the US, it might turn to its time-honored tradition and simply dump Poroshenko. My biggest concern are the bona fide Nazis a la Iarosh, Timoshenko, Iatseniuk or Tiagnibok who will be absolutely outraged at any deal made with Putin. Likewise, the oligarchs like Akhmetov and Kolomoiski (who hate each other) will also be furious, as will Hunter Biden.

Tomorow is today.

September 4th 23:53 UTC/ZULU Ukraine SITREP: Maybe, just maybe?

edit on 09pm2020000009 by maghun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Are they just shelling all civilians where the separatists have left, or are they only shelling where the separatists are hold up?

Because that is exactly what Ukraine is doing, but it sounds more conspiratorial the way you say it.

They did both. They completely destroyed few villages that didn't have any of the fighters, just civilians.

This signing was inevitable because separatists were about to take control of Mariupol which now has the only port in Ukraine that is capable of accepting coal shipments. It is the only large industrial center of the Donbass since every other was destroyed. Ukrainian army bombed the hell out of the coal mines in Doneck so Ukraine will have to import coal to provide electricity for it's citizens. And without Mariupol they will be left without gas and without electricity. Mariupol is now not just the center of Donbass but the center of Ukraine.

From reading tweets, Western Ukraine is not happy with the signing because if Poroshenko accepted this terms in May, they could have avoided insolvency and 10K deaths. This winter there will be new Maidan, possibly even sooner if the army decides to take control (many of them are unhappy with the outcome as well as National Guard aka Kolomoiskys private army).

And BTW: Since Ukraine signed this 'paper' with representatives of DNR and LNR, by international laws they recognized them as 'sides of the argument'.
edit on 5-9-2014 by baburak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

NEWPORT (Wales), September 05. /ITAR-TASS/. US and EU sanctions against Russia are in force but may be lifted if all points of the agreement on ceasefire in Ukraine are implemented, US President Barack Obama told journalists after a NATO summit in Wales.

en.itar-tass.com...

Well, that's Russian media for you - reporting anything but the truth.

Obama has said no such thing - in fact, he said that any sanctions roll-back is way down the line and dependent on Russia changing it's strategy. As it stands now, the EU and US are preparing more sanctions, not reversing any.

No sanctions rollback
Meanwhile, the EU and US are expected to announced enhanced sanctions on Russia, targeting banking, energy and defence sectors.

US President Barack Obama said the ceasefire had been agreed because of sanctions imposed on Russia.

Measures against Russia would be reviewed in line with the implementation of the ceasefire, which he said would be a very long process.

Link

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

I don't know, but they're shelling civilians either way...

No conspiracy involved IMO!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

en.itar-tass.com...

Well, that's Russian media for you - reporting anything but the truth.

Obama has said no such thing - in fact, he said that any sanctions roll-back is way down the line and dependent on Russia changing it's strategy. As it stands now, the EU and US are preparing more sanctions, not reversing any.

No sanctions rollback
Meanwhile, the EU and US are expected to announced enhanced sanctions on Russia, targeting banking, energy and defence sectors.

US President Barack Obama said the ceasefire had been agreed because of sanctions imposed on Russia.

Measures against Russia would be reviewed in line with the implementation of the ceasefire, which he said would be a very long process.

Link

Such peace processes take months normally and the bans won`t be lifted very soon because of it. They "may" be lifted down the line if all goes well (see my link). It`s perception reporting difference by West and Russia. He even dares to say cease-fire is because of sanctions, yeah right.

It`s also part of the political game to safe face and to get as much out of the deal as you can to try and portray it somewhat differently.

On Friday, EU diplomats said new sanctions against Russia had been agreed "in principle" and were due to be implemented on Monday.

However, the sanctions could be suspended if the ceasefire held and if Moscow withdrew forces from Ukraine, the diplomats added.

So no more sanctions if ceasefire holds.

In these matters it`s always good to read between the lines, the politics are partly being played out by media in such cases.
edit on 5-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

On Friday, EU diplomats said new sanctions against Russia had been agreed "in principle" and were due to be implemented on Monday.

However, the sanctions could be suspended if the ceasefire held and if Moscow withdrew forces from Ukraine, the diplomats added.

In these matters it`s always good to read between the lines, the politics are partly being played out by media in such cases.

There will be sanctions, because Moscow won't withdraw it's forces, as that will be an admission they were there in the first place. So not only has the ceasefire got to hold - doubtful as this isn't the first - but Russia has to get it's troops and tanks (that they deny being there) out and back over their border.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

There will be sanctions, because Moscow won't withdraw it's forces, as that will be an admission they were there in the first place. So not only has the ceasefire got to hold - doubtful as this isn't the first - but Russia has to get it's troops and tanks (that they deny being there) out and back over their border.

You`re probably right about that.

Russia isn`t going to draw back now, that would be stupid.

But you never know, there aren`t that many over there, Ukraine army is in shambles already, Separatist maybe can hold it themselves. But I don`t think Russia will pull them that quickly away. Russia doesn`t care that much about those sanctions for now probably.

Putin could always still threaten to close the gas. But probably other counter sanctions will follow first.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join