It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Stunning New Map Reveals For The First Time Where Our Galaxy Fits Into The Universe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
There is no such thing as big, bigger or biggest.

Just forever…

Forever has always been there.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
As we keep learning about the Universe it's hard to say such a structure happened without help.

Ps 19:1
The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship.

The filament-like structures are there because of clumps of gravity bounds galaxies together into those strings. The question as to why does gravity have this non-homogeneous distribution is still a question (i.e., why aren't galaxies just randomly and homogeneously distributed?), but that question is attempted to be answered by the idea of an unseen/unseeable substance in the universe that creates these pockets of gravity that attracted the forming galaxies (what's called 'dark matter' for lack of a more precise term).

And even if you don't believe that, ponder the Fermi Paradox then.

The size of the universe may answer the Fermi Paradox. There may be other technological civilizations out there existing at this same time that we are (I'm almost positive there is), but those civilizations may be so far away that they have not noticed each others existence.

If the next closest technological civilization that exists at the present moment is on the other side of our galaxy (or even just half that distance), they may not have had a chance to notice that this tiny planet (one among 100s of billions of planets) has intelligent life.

In fact, if they were 50,000 LY away (half way across the galaxy), and if they had the ability to analyze the spectrum of our atmosphere in a detailed manner (similar to the way we can do so now, by our ability to do so is still rudimentary), they would be analyzing the light from our planet 50,000 years ago, and that light may not show any signs of an intelligent civilization. Sure -- it may show signs of life, but life signs may be so common that they don't think it's important enough to follow up on.

Even then, that may have been 50,000 years ago. That specific civilization may have died out (or destroyed itself) in the year since then.

I'm not saying that there is no possible way that another civilization may ever contact us, but it seems that maybe the odds are stacked against that happening. That's the answer to the Fermi paradox. Given the size of the universe, there are probably many, many other ET civilizations existing right now (and many more that have come and gone, and many more that have yet to develop). However, given the size of the universe, the closest current ET civilization may not be very close at all.

edit on 9/6/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
S&F !!
We be small...........................

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Treespeaker Funny my brain automatically saw a flower unfolding.
I think when we look ,as above so below..you're right. One appears to be the reflection of the other.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

It is funny to me how many people use the same logic you describe to show how unlikely it would be for another species to discover us and travel here. I agree, using OUR current level of technology I doubt WE would ever discover anything.

The funny part is why you, or anyone, would think they would be using such rudimentary technology to do anything. I mean, we laugh at people who, just a few hundred years ago, thought the earth was the center of the universe. In a hundred years, our scientists will be laughing at us. It is not logical to limit what a civilization that might be 1000, 10,000, or even a million years more advanced than us might be able to do based on what we currently know of the universe and physics.

Maybe they use telepathy or remote viewing to discover other life. Maybe they use wormholes or interdimensional travel to get here. I admit, I have no idea but I do think there is overwhelming evidence that shows they have discovered us and have been visiting for thousands of years.

Anyways, this new discovery is not only fascinating but just goes to show how little we know of our universe and how much we still have to learn.

edit on 6-9-2014 by captainmjp because: spelling

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
And in the vastness the Laniakea Supercluster is infinitesimally tiny. I don't know if all that space was created for one species, there has to be other life out there.
Why does there "have to be"? Earth is the ONLY PLACE with life! People need to accept that fact!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImDaMan

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
And in the vastness the Laniakea Supercluster is infinitesimally tiny. I don't know if all that space was created for one species, there has to be other life out there.
Why does there "have to be"? Earth is the ONLY PLACE with life! People need to accept that fact!!!

You seem pretty sure about that.

While I agree that we don't know of other life out there (although I personally think intelligent ETs probably exist), how do you know that we are alone? Please explain why it is necessarily a "fact" that Earth is the only place with life?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: captainmjp
...The funny part is why you, or anyone, would think they would be using such rudimentary technology to do anything. I mean, we laugh at people who, just a few hundred years ago, thought the earth was the center of the universe. In a hundred years, our scientists will be laughing at us. It is not logical to limit what a civilization that might be 1000, 10,000, or even a million years more advanced than us might be able to do based on what we currently know of the universe and physics.

Maybe they use telepathy or remote viewing to discover other life. Maybe they use wormholes or interdimensional travel to get here. I admit, I have no idea but I do think there is overwhelming evidence that shows they have discovered us and have been visiting for thousands of years...

First of all, all I can do is speculate. I have absolutely no idea why intelligent ETs haven't come around yet -- or even if they have come around or not. I can know nothing about them for sure until we have open contact with them.

But if I were to speculate about the Fermi Paradox, I don't think the problem is a technology thing; I think it may be a pure distance problem. That is (as I mentioned in my post to which you replied), the reason ET has not contacted us yet may be due to the fact that the closest technological ET civilization to Earth is still very far away.

Sure -- we can speculate that they have the capability that allows faster-than-light remote viewing, and they are able to "know" about us just by sensing our thoughts (and instantly -- even across light years). However, we can also speculate that they don't.

If we assume they have faster-than-light telepathy or faster-than-light remote viewing, and that they can remotely sense our presence. In that case, then fine -- they are remotely viewing us. They know about us, even from 50,000 LY away.

However, if we assume they do not have faster-than-light telepathy or faster-than-light remote viewing ability, then what I said still stands -- i.e., that if the closest technological ET civilization that currently exists is halfway across our galaxy (50,000 LY away), then the best they could do is analyze what our planet's atmosphere was like 50,000 years ago, because that would be the light from our atmosphere that they would be analyzing.

Perhaps they find life signs, but they would find no signs of a technological civilization. Perhaps they have learned that technological civilizations are extremely rare, but that "life signs" are so common to them that they don't deem that discovery worthy of additional consideration.

edit on 9/6/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Cool pic, reminds me more of a certain type of plant structure. I have seen some that represent nerves, brains, eyes etc. Like they say As above so below etc etc. However what lot of people fail to realize is that it is all theories and computer simulations. Also even lets just say it is truth, and you feel small or insignificant. You shouldn't because just because you may be small, imagined or whatever theory you want to plug in; all of what you experience and all the problems you face is very real to you.
edit on 6-9-2014 by HumanitiesLastHope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I agree, if we assume they do not have some exotic technology we have yet to discover, it is unlikely that they, or we, will ever discover or visit each other.

I think that is a gigantic assumption. In fact, I choose to believe, after many years of research into the matter, that such technologies do exist and have been used by many species to discover and visit us. I'm sure this has been debated hundreds of times here on ATS. I would love for someone to start a fresh, new thread for a massive debate between believers and skeptics on this. I am a "newbie" and would not know how to go about this without everyone saying that's already been discussed on such and such thread.

Maybe you could endeavor to make such a thread?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
As we keep learning about the Universe it's hard to say such a structure happened without help.

Ps 19:1

The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship.

And even if you don't believe that, ponder the Fermi Paradox then.

Roger that Blue_Jay!

A highly Organized structure such the Super clusters of Galaxies doesn't just appear at random WITHOUT an Organizer - God!

“. . .“Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.” (Isaiah 40:26)

No doubt the more we learn about them, the more it becomes harder to ignore a Prime Mover - the source of "dynamic energy" - E = mc2!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wow!! Thats intense!! Love it!! Thanks for posting!!
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Looking at the computer generated models reminds me of the simple magnetic fields or electromagnetic fields we produce. I wonder if they are affiliated.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: captainmjp
...The funny part is why you, or anyone, would think they would be using such rudimentary technology to do anything. I mean, we laugh at people who, just a few hundred years ago, thought the earth was the center of the universe. In a hundred years, our scientists will be laughing at us. It is not logical to limit what a civilization that might be 1000, 10,000, or even a million years more advanced than us might be able to do based on what we currently know of the universe and physics.

Maybe they use telepathy or remote viewing to discover other life. Maybe they use wormholes or interdimensional travel to get here. I admit, I have no idea but I do think there is overwhelming evidence that shows they have discovered us and have been visiting for thousands of years...

First of all, all I can do is speculate. I have absolutely no idea why intelligent ETs haven't come around yet -- or even if they have come around or not. I can know nothing about them for sure until we have open contact with them.

But if I were to speculate about the Fermi Paradox, I don't think the problem is a technology thing; I think it may be a pure distance problem. That is (as I mentioned in my post to which you replied), the reason ET has not contacted us yet may be due to the fact that the closest technological ET civilization to Earth is still very far away.

Sure -- we can speculate that they have the capability that allows faster-than-light remote viewing, and they are able to "know" about us just by sensing our thoughts (and instantly -- even across light years). However, we can also speculate that they don't.

If we assume they have faster-than-light telepathy or faster-than-light remote viewing, and that they can remotely sense our presence. In that case, then fine -- they are remotely viewing us. They know about us, even from 50,000 LY away.

However, if we assume they do not have faster-than-light telepathy or faster-than-light remote viewing ability, then what I said still stands -- i.e., that if the closest technological ET civilization that currently exists is halfway across our galaxy (50,000 LY away), then the best they could do is analyze what our planet's atmosphere was like 50,000 years ago, because that would be the light from our atmosphere that they would be analyzing.

Perhaps they find life signs, but they would find no signs of a technological civilization. Perhaps they have learned that technological civilizations are extremely rare, but that "life signs" are so common to them that they don't deem that discovery worthy of additional consideration.

Prime directive. No trekkies around?

The Prime Directive, used in four out of five Star Trek-based series, prohibits Starfleet personnel from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations. This conceptual law applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of development, preventing starship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them.

They probably see us as rodents or something anyway.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hundreds of thousands of galaxies? And then what, a million stars in each of those hundred thousand galaxies? And then what, anywhere from 0 to 20 planets around each star? That makes it a certainty that at least a million planets contain life. Then another huge number of intelligent species all across the universe. It boggles the noggin.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18374950]Jennyfrenzy[/post

well, it is OUR interpretation of the universe so its only natural that it reminds us of ourselves.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Mind blown.

How could we possibly be alone?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Several years ago I had a dream where two gigantic galactic angels sat me on a horizontal pole and I got to look at the universe. They did the "you are here" pointing at the galaxy with the earth, and they showed the path of the earth, how it actually spirals along its path. Our behavior as we are here determines it's trajectory, like a sail on a ship. Wow huh? According to them, it was falling down away from the center. That Laniakea seems about right, except the photo needs to be turned 90 degrees to the right to match the dream.

But then two nights ago some galactic angels came to the house, obviously it was before bedtime and I was enjoying being not focused, they were pointing out about 6 or 7 other solar places with inhabitable planets. I took it as a dream.

Could you comprehend that outside the supercluster Laniakea, there are other superclusters with many many other lifeforms? Sort of makes me want to take care of my planet to have something good to say to the other planetary life ones.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: edmc^2

A highly Organized structure such the Super clusters of Galaxies doesn't just appear at random WITHOUT an Organizer - God!

Yeah, but it does. No god required.
Besides, I find the idea of a god doing this FAR more unbeleivable, and I find the forces and energies contained in the Universe and beyond entirely beleivable to create such structures.

“. . .“Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.” (Isaiah 40:26)

Thanks for the sermon.

edit on 7-9-2014 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toadmund

originally posted by: edmc^2

Yeah, but it does. No god required.
Besides, I find the idea of a god doing this FAR more unbeleivable, and I find the forces and energies contained in the Universe and beyond entirely beleivable to create such structures.

Thanks for the sermon.

You mean no Creator Required?

As for the sermon - just stating the facts E = mc2.

Dynamic Energy must emanate from somewhere in the universe for all these to be in perpetual motion.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join