It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
More news from the Robot Revolution. You have fast food workers picketing about their jobs well some of them could be replaced by a burger flipping robot.

A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry and have some line cooks looking for new jobs.

The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."

Momentum Machines cofounder Alexandros Vardakostas told Xconomy his "device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient. It’s meant to completely obviate them." Indeed, marketing copy on the company's site reads that their automaton "does everything employees can do, except better."

www.businessinsider.com...

The company says their will be benefits to the economy though like cheaper sandwiches.

The issue of machines and job displacement has been around for centuries and economists generally accept that technology like ours actually causes an increase in employment. The three factors that contribute to this are 1. the company that makes the robots must hire new employees, 2. the restaurant that uses our robots can expand their frontiers of production which requires hiring more people, and 3. the general public saves money on the reduced cost of our burgers. This saved money can then be spent on the rest of the economy.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I bet we see the workers smash up the robots just like the Luddites did in the 19th century.
Iam all for robots but only when none of us have to work for a living and we just send our worker bot to work and we get the pay

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh and cheaper? my fat hairy arse!!.
edit on 4-9-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
TPTB would never allow people to send robots to work in their absence. They'll replace human workers with these things as they're already doing but it won't lead to a lazy, blissful utopia. It'll lead to an even worse economy with a larger population of jobless, gov-dependent people.

That's if they even let the majority live.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
We already have burger grilling conveyor belts.

And we had toaster belts when i was a lad 20 years ago, hardly new - its just scaled down factory ready meal tech

edit on b54541142 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I bet we see the workers smash up the robots just like the Luddites did in the 19th century.
Iam all for robots but only when none of us have to work for a living and we just send our worker bot to work and we get the pay

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently they also have robots that can shave primate bottoms too!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Lol I could do with one of them

(Only to make it an evil bum shaving robot of doom Mahahaha MAahahahahaha).

Make a great B movie for the sci fi channel that

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Fast food is dying out as the customers become increasingly unhealthy.

Maybe they should work on robots to clear weeds from farmland?

At the rate we are going, we'll all be slaves to Monsanto, Dow & DuPont. The strategy for clearing weeds is currently destroying the health of the western world and creating hyper strong weeds. No end in sight there unless we have a paradigm shift in farming.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

a reply to: Rodinus

Lol I could do with one of them

(Only to make it an evil bum shaving robot of doom Mahahaha MAahahahahaha).

Make a great B movie for the sci fi channel that

*Starts scribbling page one of the evil bum shaving robot of doom before Boymonkey gets it out to the printers*

We could make a fortune mate...

Right... back to the original topic out of respect for the OP...

I say this is a no go... people need the work... I can see this robot getting its circuit boards kicked in big time...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This is going to be a serious problem over the next 10-50 years, increasingly workers jobs will be replaced with robots.

And where are the low-skill jobs going to come from to replace those?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This will as well open new jobs, to support all those robots, parts,... etc. Not sure that I would like my dinner served by robot... not there with my mind yet....

Wonder what happens when the same robot get infected with virus, or if something goes wrong with ingredients...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Perhaps its getting to the point in space and time that humans will need to figure out how to be more than cogs in a machine of our own making.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
While you will be out of a job, at least you won't have to worry about what some disgruntled teenager is doing to your burger.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well the fast fooders are marching today ....

Police handcuffed dozens of protesters in cities around the country on Thursday as they blocked traffic in the latest attempt to escalate their efforts to get McDonald's, Burger King and other fast-food companies to pay their employees at least $15 an hour.

The protests, which were planned by labor organizers for about 150 cities nationwide throughout Thursday, are part of a campaign called "Fight for $15."

Fast-food protesters cuffed at higher-pay rallies

The Unions are doing their part in the effort to increase unemployment and government dependence.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Id much rather have a robot flip my burgers... They might actually look right ad not take 10 minutes to get my order in the bag! Theirs obviously certain things robots can't make but fast food IS one of them.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Good! At least I know my burger will be safer and the "burger flipper" won't be taking a bath in the restaurant sink after hours due to electrical shock.

edit on 4-9-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Cops all over the counrty sigh a sound of relief....anybody see supertroopers?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently they also have robots that can shave primate bottoms too!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

LOL... Now thats the Rodinus I have missed.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
This is going to be a serious problem over the next 10-50 years, increasingly workers jobs will be replaced with robots.

And where are the low-skill jobs going to come from to replace those?

You are so right.

The robots also sort of make a joke out of the fast food workers strike, led by Unions who want more $$$ in Union pockets.

If the fast food employees get the raise they want, it may be far cheaper for the franchise owners to purchase robots than have unreliable human workers, who bathe in sinks, spit on food, accidentally put caustic cleansers in beverages, and don't always show up on time or at all.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
This will as well open new jobs, to support all those robots, parts,... etc. Not sure that I would like my dinner served by robot... not there with my mind yet....

Wonder what happens when the same robot get infected with virus, or if something goes wrong with ingredients...

It won't be any worse than when humans go wrong.

Look at all the examples people have cited.

Robots are more likely to shut down than make errors that make people sick or kill people.

fox13now.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Well the fast fooders are marching today ....

Police handcuffed dozens of protesters in cities around the country on Thursday as they blocked traffic in the latest attempt to escalate their efforts to get McDonald's, Burger King and other fast-food companies to pay their employees at least $15 an hour.

The protests, which were planned by labor organizers for about 150 cities nationwide throughout Thursday, are part of a campaign called "Fight for $15."

Fast-food protesters cuffed at higher-pay rallies

The Unions are doing their part in the effort to increase unemployment and government dependence.

This is exactly why you see self serve car washes now. The owners decided to eliminate the expense of employees at full service and go to exterior only, and you can vacuum, and dry your own car saving you money. This wouldn't work if people didn't want it to. They are just shooting themselves in the foot and won't figure it out until it's too late. In Los Angeles they were trying to unionize car wash workers when I left, nobody builds anymore full service washes anymore, exterior, coin-op, or roll over is pretty much the only thing being built or remodeled to.

I would be happy if they went to touch pads at the drive up when ordering, getting rid of bad speakers, people who talk like they have a box of rocks in their mouth, and or only speak spanish.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join