It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tried to log in, an adventure taken, a tale to tell on rainy nights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I'd logged out yesterday, and just now logged back in. The adventure! First ads covered the entire page, and I couldn't log in. Then after I fought those off, lo and behold, they came from the sides and top, asking me to buy and to take a survey and everything but reminding me to call my mother on her birthday (sorry old girl, missed the last few). Then....as you can see....I fought through, I persisted, I overcame and then fell back exhausted (I literally clicked on "Log in" as the top half of it was just over the top of an ad, so I didn't know if clicking on it would get me to log-in or take me on another whirl of the pony).

In the scheme of things, I wonder how many people have not joined ATS, good people, intelligent folks, because this occurs. Can't the coding be fixed a bit so that the ads and surveys keep away when people either first sign up as members or log in? Pretty please with cartoon girls named Cherry on top? I think ATS would have many more good members if the pathway was cleared of the high weeds (whoops, almost a t&c vio) and the process was both smooth and free of "the good fight". Thanks.
edit on 4-9-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

AAAAAAmen!!
"you got fins to the left, fins to the right".

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Jesus...

That sounds like a binary cluster copulation and no mistake! I applaud your valiant penetration of the advertising cordon that you experienced upon attempting to log in! I agree with you, that it would be preferable if advertising was limited to banners on the actual log in page, rather than automatic popup nonsense which slows down ones machinery, and makes life just that little bit more tricky than it has to be!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Aye, during the process I may have tried to drink as much as your avatar, although be it pineapple juice or something. My long time concern, now even more of a concern after this log-in, is that ATS has probably lost hundreds if not thousands of intelligent potentially-productive members because of the ad deluge on sign-in and log-in attempts (not to mention general ad deluge, with a 20 percent chance of heavy drop-downs). This is the only site I come to which has ads, and I persisted in both coming here and participating because of my interest in topics such as science, space, and ancient civilizations. ATS is very good in those subjects, and in many others. Professionals in these and other fields would do well to read and post here, if only they have the patience to get inside.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Ahh.. but that insures that only the truly brave and willing enter .. if it were easy ats would be overrun with barbarian hordes from farcebook ..

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I would just be happy if I wasn't asked for the MILLIONTH time how I feel about
global warming everytime I visit the home page. How do I feel about Global Warming?
At this point, I hope whoever programmed that annoying pop up question into every
day of my life buys beach front property and is home when the waters start rising.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
As I move about the web, sites that have excessive adds, or any amount of popups are immediately closed out regardless of the potential content. I simply won't deal with that. Sites that deal with advertising respectfully get my support.

And a note to businesses advertising on sites... If you are on that popup, I will boycott your business and seek out your competitor.

Advertising is a necessary element, but unless done with tact, could be a liability in the long run. IMO
edit on 9 4 2014 by caterpillage because: Needed a comma

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I have noticed that one of the log in buttons does not work, the one with the red square in my pic, it leads to an ats 404 page , also while making this post, the insert pictur from my gallery, does not seem to work, I had to go to my gallery, click the picture, copy the bss code for the link, then jump forward to this thread again, sheesh, ats is really broken these days

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I think it has to be said, that most people, when about other business in the world wide web, employ some form of adblocking software, which deals with such things admirably, so I doubt that new sign ups will be affected by the level of advertising coming out of the site. Of course, once they take membership, they would have to deactivate all such software before each use of the site, in order to comply with the Terms and Conditions of membership here. But that is no real hassle. It is a couple of mouse clicks after all, not a trek up a lofty mountain, while being chased by ravening three headed devil dogs!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I too had to grapple to liberate the login icon from behind the video ad. In retrospect, I wonder if it's because I keep my settings at 125% zoom? I usually remain logged in once I do manage it.

top topics

join