It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elections in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I think it is time that thoughts about this upcoming event in Iraq are discussed. This is a major concern for the GOP and any GOP supporters. If things go smoothly a very large monkey (possibly Gorrilla) will be romoved from our current Commander in Chiefs back. I will post a couple links... one showing positive thoughts on the subject and the other showing negative thoughts on the subject. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Iraq Elections a Disaster in the Making by Juan Cole

Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani continues to be concerned as to whether elections will be held in January in Iraq, and whether the outcome will reflect the Shi'ite majority in Iraq. He is worried that the system adopted, of nationwide party lists, favors a small set of parties, mainly expatriate. Since the six major parties listed include the two (Sunni) Kurdish parties and the largely Sunni Iraqi National Accord (primarily ex-Ba'athists) led by Iyad Allawi, as well as the mixed Iraqi National Congress, I think Sistani is afraid that the al-Da`wa and the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq � the two main Shi'ite parties � could end up with a minority in parliament. www.antiwar.com...

Iraqi PM confident about Iraq election By HAMZA HENDAWI

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) � Iraq's interim prime minister said Monday he's confident only a small number of people will boycott the Jan. 30 elections despite anger among many Sunni Muslims over the Fallujah offensive and a deadly U.S.-Iraqi raid on a Baghdad mosque.

"The forces of darkness and terrorism will not benefit from this democratic experience and will fight it," Ayad Allawi told The Associated Press. "But we are determined that this experiment succeeds." www.masslive.com.../base/international-19/110117004421650.xml&storylist=massiraq

I personally feel that this process is going to be difficult but that it can succeed. I am very curious as to how the media will portray the events that unfold in January as well.

[edit on 6-12-2004 by LostSailor]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well so far the violence is escalating in that country, I feel that by the time the election day gets closer some leaders lives will be in jeopardy in that country.

The Sunnis will never submit, and if elections finally go through it will be bias if only one group is involved.

I see civil war in the making.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i know what you're going to say. but surely this is a 'Global Politics' issue?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yes it is a global issue... but I'm looking at in relation to the GOP here in the United States.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Elections in Iraq are in my opinion a big mistake at this point and time. There are still hostiles around Iraq. Not only do these elections risk the lives of the people running, they risk the lifes of the Iraqi citizens. Imagine for a second if you will a nice hard-working group of Iraqis excited to cast their first vote, when all of a sudden a suicide bomber runs in and blows himself and the building to pieces. Imagine if a canidate wins and is about to thank everyone when a sniper takes him out. Elections are a big step for us to take. Some Iraqis still don't trust us...but I wouldn't either if a group of soldiers blows up my country. We need to reach out more for their support and show them that they shouldn't be afraid to tell us about a terrorist hideout in their neighborhood. Then we need to obliberate all terrorist units and then, THEN we can have elections.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Well, you're right in some ways. There will be acts of terror on election day in Iraq. Hopefully, the UN will send peacekeepers to assist.

The elections need to be held on Jan. 30, because if we delay them because of terrorism concerns, the violence will only get worse. The reason it is so bad right now is that it is a last-ditch efforts by the terrorists to keep them from happening. If the elections succeed, even with ats of violence, then it will be a severe blow to the terrorists.

[edit on 13-12-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
As things are now going, an election there will be a joke. The Iraqis feel that way. Our media will do its best, though, to put its best GOP spin on the outcome.

Until relative peace and stability is established, there will be no legitimate electoral outcome in Mess 'o' Potamia.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
And how long did it take to have free fair elections in Germany after WWII? It wasn't a year after the war was over. I believe it took them somewhere around four or five years later.

The problem is that Americans have no patience. They saw Michael Moore. They heard all of these lunatics about the war and it's evilness. They are now speaking out against the war. They are trying to speed it up. And suprise, the only time the Bush team listens is on when we get out. These people along with the current administration are setting up the failure of a "democratic" Iraq and will leave it as a hotbed of American hatred.

With saying that, I hate and completely disagree with the war. We had no long term plan for the place. We have farked stuff almost beyond repair. However, I believe that we must stay there and give these people a chance at something. It is wrong to pull out now or in January or until alot of the violence dies down or is taken care of. If we left now, we would be leaving the place worse than what it was. "Just because they have an election doesn't mean we are going to leave." That's true, but I believe it is setting up a way that we can cut and run if we have to.

Look folks, the election should be one of the last things that should be done. If not, the first elected leader will have a very short reign as President. And you know that is going to happen. Iraq is not ready and trying to speed it up is ultimately going to hurt Iraq.

Now, if you want to split up Iraq and make four or five countries...that would be a much better solution, but that is another debate.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
I personally feel that this process is going to be difficult but that it can succeed. I am very curious as to how the media will portray the events that unfold in January as well.
[edit on 6-12-2004 by LostSailor]

The corporate media will portray it anyway that the Bush Administration tells them to. Afganistan had elections.....but the only portion of Afganistan under that 'elected' governments control is the Capitol city....all else belongs to drug lords &war lords.
The same will be in Iraq. The anti-insurgency initiatives were sat upon for months prior to the US election so the daily death counts wouldn't look bad for the Rove Administration. Subsequently, it created a post election (US) to pre-election time period of massive unrest, continued guerilla warfare, and complete insecurity. The latter will give a vote sampling so small that it will be inconsequential.
Everything connected to the Irai vote has been politically calculated for this White House.....it has nothing to do with democracy in either country.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
Everything connected to the Irai vote has been politically calculated for this White House.....it has nothing to do with democracy in either country.

Co'mon you know that Iraqi government has to be US Bush friendly and FDA approved.

We can not have some elected Officials telling Mr. Bush and the US to take a hike after the elections. Right?

Mr. Buhs has to shove democracy into Iraq even if it means the death of our soldiers do to the "insurgents" and anti US democracy "terrorist".

Yeah we should called the Iraqi elections the "Baghdad elections" after all it seems that the Shiites will be the majority winners.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The violence is already stepping up:

Unidentified gunmen shot and killed Qassim Mehawi (search), deputy head of the Communications Ministry, as he headed to work in Baghdad. Eight Mehawi bodyguards were injured and hospitalized.

I heard an NPR segment today, that interviewed a journalist in Iraq. The reporter stated that there was virtually no political advertisements going on; i.e., no faces on billboards, no newspaper ads, etc., but that there was a very noticeable and growing anticipation in the air as the elections draw closer. The people are looking forward to the elections, he stated, they find it hard to believe that they will actually get the chance to vote in a real election.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
the day of the iraqi elections will be the bloodiest day of the war so far. Holding elections at this point is pointless until we stabilize the country more. The only way we are going to stabilize Iraq is more troops.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well, you're right in some ways. There will be acts of terror on election day in Iraq. Hopefully, the UN will send peacekeepers to assist.

PeaceKeepers would be useless in the current sercuity situation in Iraq they would be sitting ducks for the insurgents. The US needs to change its tactics in Iraq in order to defeat the insurgents and help create a democratic society. I think the election should go ahead as planned the insurgents have won enough psychological and to a lesser extend the conventional battles.

top topics

join