It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First US Air Strike on Somalia in Months Might Have Killed Al Shabaab's Leader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
A US air strike in Somalia on Monday night — the first in more than seven months — reportedly killed up to 10 people, including, possibly, Al Shabaab's leader.

American officials did not confirm whether the attack on a forested area 150 miles south of Mogadishu, where Al Shabaab apparently trains its fighters, killed Ahmed Abdi Godane, also known as Mukhtar Abu Zubeyr or Ahmed Abdi Aw Mohamed.

"We don't know that he's dead. But he was the target," one US official told Reuters. Defense officials did not disclose details, but in an usual move, acknowledged the attack.

"US military forces conducted an operation in Somalia today against the Al Shabaab network. We are assessing the results of the operation and will provide additional information as and when appropriate," said Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby.

Al Shabaab confirmed that Godane was in one of the vehicles struck in the attack, but would also not confirm whether he was killed, the Associated Press reported.

Thought I'd share some good news. It seems the US may have killed the Leader of Al-Shabaab! Everyone cheer now

Hopefully they have anyway, the reports aren't confirmed.

But i'm wondering if this will breed more Terrorists or will Shabaab slowly decline? I'm guessing another will step up to be the new Leader!

Will this thing ever end? Could this spark an attack on US soil? I'm not a US Citizen, I'm in London, England but just thought i'd post this Story.

Link: news.vice.com...

I may not reply to in the Thread, just posting News!

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Now if we can get Boko Harems leader AND Al-Bagdadi we would be making some progress. The trick is to ID those who would take their place and take them out as quickly as possible as well.

They want to spread fear...then show them what fear is really like. Hunt them down and terminate them with all due extreme prejudice. Along with any one who follows them.
edit on 3-9-2014 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
'May have'.
I wonder if they know and won't disclose because he is still alive...
Or if our intelligence in that area is so weak that we have no idea.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Chances are...

They have no idea.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: butcherguy

Chances are...

They have no idea.

If I had to bet, that would be what I would go with.
edit on bu302014-09-03T08:57:53-05:0008America/ChicagoWed, 03 Sep 2014 08:57:53 -05008u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Since when did Somalia hire the us military?

Effin world police...

And the other ppl who did get killed? Did they also pose a threat to the police state freedom or what?

edit on 3-9-2014 by yeahsurexxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I totally agree, regardless of who or what Organization is behind them.

What if the Organization behind them turns out to be a Group from the West selling these Terrorists Arms? (As many on ATS seem to speculate).

edit on CDTWed, 03 Sep 2014 10:49:59 -0500u3010x159x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahsurexxx

Well, they were all in this 'Shahaab' Group, so whoever got killed is good news! It's less to deal with either way.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx
Since when did Somalia hire the us military?

Effin world police...

And the other ppl who did get killed? Did they also pose a threat to the police state freedom or what?

Do you really think they were training in Somalia to only attack Somalia?

Get real.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I always had a soft spot for Somalia, just like Afghanistan. Two nations once prosperous and OK to live, torn apart by corruption. Sad stories come from those places. Even if it wasn't him, I sure hope it was someone important on those twisted people.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx

Truth be told...I don't care. They were guilty by association. I do care when innocents get killed, but anyone who associates with these animals? I don't care what happens to them, just as long as they are eliminated or see the errors of their ways and change.

new topics

top topics

join