It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine 'agrees truce' with Putin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko says he has agreed with Russian President Vladimir Putin by phone on a "permanent ceasefire" with rebels.

"Their conversation resulted in agreement on a permanent ceasefire in the Donbass region [the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk]," his office said.

"They reached a mutual understanding on steps leading to peace."

The announcement comes as US President Barack Obama meets Baltic leaders in Estonia ahead of a Nato summit.

Ukraine 'agrees truce' with Putin

An interesting, if unexpected, development. This is, however, the latest in a series of truces, so we'll wait and see if it holds.

It also highlights the fact Russia is involved in the War, despite claims to the contrary, otherwise how could they agree a ceasefire?
edit on 3/9/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
How on earth can Putin agree to a truce if he isn't behind the rebel violence? Hmm...

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
How on earth can Putin agree to a truce if he isn't behind the rebel violence? Hmm...

Quite...

I'll wait to see what happens on the ground before believing this latest truce - if anything, it is simply a tactic to buy time to relieve the rebels near Donetsk and to consolidate/regroup. His latest plan for the east is for "autonomy", but also for deepening economic ties with Russia in that region, effectively cleaving the country in two in all but name.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Hope it holds so we can all get together and sort out ISIS.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Quite...

I'll wait to see what happens on the ground before believing this latest truce - if anything, it is simply a tactic to buy time to relieve the rebels near Donetsk and to consolidate/regroup. His latest plan for the east is for "autonomy", but also for deepening economic ties with Russia in that region, effectively cleaving the country in two in all but name.

Buy time and relieve the rebels? Are you not aware of what has been happening?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

An interesting, if unexpected, development.

Well not really unexpected as the LPR and DPR actually sent representatives to the talks that Ukraine and Russia had in Minsk to discuss a way to end the conflict.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Which also shows that the east doesn't really want to become part of Russia as we have been hearing since this conflict started. Now if Putin agrees to this he shows his hand that he was involved from the beginning.

Which again shows how the pro Russian crowd were wrong again about Russia's involvement.

Get ready for the "Ukraine is doing this because they are losing this conflict" crowd otherwise known as the pro Russians supporters to say see I told you so.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Adaluncatif

The only ones who aren't aware of this would be the pro Russian supporters on ATS, as they have put the blinders on and closed their eyes to it.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
i am not so sure the bbc is the most reliable of sources ....i would be more inclined to wait for more info before jumping the gun here

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I don't think it will hold.

Russia and the West have invested too much into Ukraine. I don't expect them to let it slip away with a permanent truce.

I expect the pro-Russian rebels to continue their fight, backed covertly by Russia.

I expect the Ukrainian government to continue their fight, backed by the West.

This is just a game of diplomacy.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

The only ones who aren't aware of this would be the pro Russian supporters on ATS, as they have put the blinders on and closed their eyes to it.

Ukraine has surrendered Novorussia. They had no choice as they have been defeated on the battlefield since Russia began supplying weapons for the past two weeks. Ukraine has suffered 28,000 dead and many more injured. Poroshenko will be lucky if his regime lasts a month.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
This is becoming more confusing. The terms that are being used by our glorious Western media not only vary, but stray from the truth. One minute it's Russian Activists, then Russian Military, then Pro-Russian Rebels, then its separatists. If it is rebels or separatists, then Putin has no way of negotiating on their behalf, yet here we have this phonecall between he and Poroshenko. I tend to think that it may be a ceasefire resulting from the (accidental or not) Russian troops that one way or another ended up crossing over into part of Eastern Ukraine whilst on a patrol, which as we know led to friction in the area, and that this phonecall is being used to assume blame for more.
I will say one thing though, after seeing what I have seen, I can't believe Poroshenko is seen as innocent. So many innocent lives have been lost on his orders,including the lives of children. Even Ukrainian soldiers have abandoned when they realised that the so called Pro-Russian Separatists were not firing on Ukrainian soil at all except to protect their Ukrainian homes.
So little of the truth has filtered through to our screens and papers, its quite immoral.
As always, thanks to the OP
edit on 392014 by TheRisenPeople because: missed a bit and to thank the OP

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
We all know how this ends.

"Oh look, we gave Saddam a chance to declare his WMD's - but he won't let the Inspectors in"

"Oh look, we gave Hamas a chance to talk peace - but now they're firing rockets again".

"Oh look, we gave Russia the chance of a Truce - and now they're massing troops on the border again.

Same Ole Same Ole

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
i am not so sure the bbc is the most reliable of sources ....i would be more inclined to wait for more info before jumping the gun here

Nope, it's real alright...for now at least.
Study the faces of both Putin and Poroshenko.
Putin, "muha ha ha"

www.kyivpost.com... d-putin-agree-on-ceasefire-363171.html

oops I forgot the pic

edit on 3-9-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Adaluncatif

Yep - the Russians poured over the border to the South near Mariopol and opened a second front which has stalled the Government advance to the North. The rebels are still hemmed in up there though.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Nope, it's real alright...for now at least.
Study the faces of both Putin and Poroshenko.
Putin, "muha ha ha"

www.kyivpost.com... d-putin-agree-on-ceasefire-363171.html

oops I forgot the pic

well yes he does have a "hehehe" kinda look...from RT no less they are just as bad as BBC

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Ukraine has surrendered Novorussia. They had no choice as they have been defeated on the battlefield since Russia began supplying weapons for the past two weeks. Ukraine has suffered 28,000 dead and many more injured. Poroshenko will be lucky if his regime lasts a month.

And exactly where have you been as Russia has been supplying arms since the beginning of this conflict?

So you consider being pushed out of your strongholds to where you have to retreat to your last stand and you consider that winning the fight...interesting.

You do understand his regime as you call it has already lasted longer than that so your wrong there.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

28,000 dead?

Me thinks you're making stuff up now. Not even pro-Russian sources have been claiming this - most independent casualty counts, such as from HRW for example, estimate the figures to be around 2,600, so I think you've just added an extra zero for some reason.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
This is what is happening:

"I guess for the Ukrainian military this gives them a chance to regroup after recent military setbacks, and bide time to see what NATO and the EU delivers over the next few days in terms of deterrents to Russia for further intervention. In the past we have seen Moscow looking to talk/sending peace signals just before important EU/G7/NATO meetings, and presumably to weaken momentum towards sanctions/countermeasures."

www.kyivpost.com...

This is Kyiv Post, not some "pro Russia ATS member".

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

"Era of peace" has arrived, at least temporarily.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The Title is..... Ukraine agrees 'permanent truce' with rebels in east

"They reached a mutual understanding on steps leading to peace."

STEPS being the important word

So Putin really cannot agree to a ceasefire as it NOT Russian Military Troops ... and Russia is not at war with the Ukraine and neither is the Ukraine at war with Russia........

Riouz

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join