It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living East, Working West (Canada)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
For those that live in Canada, I suppose it's common knowledge that there are high levels of unemployment in Atlantic Canada,and many find themselves drawn to work in the western provinces, especially Alberta. The lure of wages much higher, and taxes much lower is sometimes hard to pass up, despite leaving family and tradition behind. I have lived here almost 5 years,in Atlantic Canada, and it's unemployment has snowballed. I can honestly say everyone I know has a family member out west or is going there themselves. I have done a limited amount of my own research, but I want to hear from others who are doing it/ have done it. Also for those who live in Alberta, how do you feel about Maritimers moving in to fill jobs? I read a statistic that 1 in 5 stay and become residents, but I'm sure it is higher.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to stay afloat, let alone get ahead here, and an informed decision is what Iam seeking.
All opinions appreciated.
Thank you.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Definitely no shortage of jobs here, you will be able to find a job ranging from a salesman to a oil patch worker without too much trouble. The cost of living is quite high, especially if you're thinking of working in Fort McMurray. There are arrogant Albertans who will condescend towards maritimers, though most people here are very tolerant. There are a ton of immigrants who live and work here, Alberta's population grew at 3x the national average this past year. I would encourage anyone who feels they can live through our winters to come out here and work. This is where the money is.

link   
Now what bugs me is half of my family lives out west now, two brothers in Alberta, and my Mom lives in Ottawa.

They may as well be dead to me.

So many friends and families losing touch with one another for the almighty buck, oil IS thicker than blood. I'd love to go and regularly have a beer with my bros. I got one brother left who moved out into the boonies a half hour away, and that is too far, let alone hundreds of miles.
Telephone, emails, etc. just doesn't do it for me, and I rarely get in touch that way, I like to see people in front of me.

I know what you feel.

link   
a reply to: AccessDenied
A lot of my family is now working west, I think it's 3 weeks on, 1 week off, 10 hour shifts. I don't think I could handle that kinda crap these days, pulling so many hours like that. Not sure what is wrong, I am not that old, but I get tired really easy these days. I used to work like a dog in my business too being gone anywhere from 8-14 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Don't come west broke, or unqualified.....be sure you have the right tickets for the oilpatch if that's where you are headed.....look online for some....
H2S,safety first aid (personal level at least)Proper driving licences,Ground disturbance for HEOs, and others...make sure your trade qualifications are accepted in the province you wish to go to as well....and try to get hired before you show up because there is a surplus of job seekers, and the crush is getting bigger all the time.
Don't expect to live in your camper or motor home in sub arctic conditions as its getting on to fall, and itll get cold the further north ya go....there is laws against such things in Fort Macmurray I hear....
On the other hand id bet just about every service business in Edmonton needs help....gas stations...Timmys,A&Ws, and many more are desperate for employees......check out that angle.....
Saskatchewan is going to boom better too in the coming years....
and one other thing..........GOOD LUCK!

edit on 2-9-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I moved from montreal to brithish columbia 12 years ago and ive never looked back, there is tons of maritimers up here and they all have the same story, they left there families to find work and hope for a better future, high wages are easy to get but everything is so expensive out west its not even funny.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: kicked
Definitely no shortage of jobs here, you will be able to find a job ranging from a salesman to a oil patch worker without too much trouble. The cost of living is quite high, especially if you're thinking of working in Fort McMurray. There are arrogant Albertans who will condescend towards maritimers, though most people here are very tolerant. There are a ton of immigrants who live and work here, Alberta's population grew at 3x the national average this past year. I would encourage anyone who feels they can live through our winters to come out here and work. This is where the money is.

In my research I have found that some say the jobs are there, with higher wages, but because of the cost of living out there, it's basically still a struggle. And Fort Mc/ oilfields was not an option for us. My husband is in the trades, and we were looking in that area.
Thank you for your post.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toadmund
Now what bugs me is half of my family lives out west now, two brothers in Alberta, and my Mom lives in Ottawa.

They may as well be dead to me.

So many friends and families losing touch with one another for the almighty buck, oil IS thicker than blood. I'd love to go and regularly have a beer with my bros. I got one brother left who moved out into the boonies a half hour away, and that is too far, let alone hundreds of miles.
Telephone, emails, etc. just doesn't do it for me, and I rarely get in touch that way, I like to see people in front of me.

I know what you feel.
Agreed. We live here, but have family in Ontario, and that is hard enough. Now if my husband needs to go west for work, it is a situation I'd like to avoid.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
A lot of my family is now working west, I think it's 3 weeks on, 1 week off, 10 hour shifts. I don't think I could handle that kinda crap these days, pulling so many hours like that. Not sure what is wrong, I am not that old, but I get tired really easy these days. I used to work like a dog in my business too being gone anywhere from 8-14 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week.

That sounds like those gone to the oilfields. Fly in, fly out. My husband is a tradesman,and is looking in that area. He is no spring chicken either,and while 10-12 shifts is nothing for him...doing it across country is. It's just something we are pondering, since so many are going.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Don't come west broke, or unqualified.....be sure you have the right tickets for the oilpatch if that's where you are headed.....look online for some....
H2S,safety first aid (personal level at least)Proper driving licences,Ground disturbance for HEOs, and others...make sure your trade qualifications are accepted in the province you wish to go to as well....and try to get hired before you show up because there is a surplus of job seekers, and the crush is getting bigger all the time.
Don't expect to live in your camper or motor home in sub arctic conditions as its getting on to fall, and itll get cold the further north ya go....there is laws against such things in Fort Macmurray I hear....
On the other hand id bet just about every service business in Edmonton needs help....gas stations...Timmys,A&Ws, and many more are desperate for employees......check out that angle.....
Saskatchewan is going to boom better too in the coming years....
and one other thing..........GOOD LUCK!

Wouldn't dream of going with nothing lined up, or without all requirements. As for boondocking while there, well that would be a no. I know things are looking up in Saskatchewan, but that's not a desirable area for either of us.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
I moved from montreal to brithish columbia 12 years ago and ive never looked back, there is tons of maritimers up here and they all have the same story, they left there families to find work and hope for a better future, high wages are easy to get but everything is so expensive out west its not even funny.

Well if it were up to me, I would prefer BC...However, it's not me going. This would be a situation of my husband leaving for work, and returning home when he could. Yes, things ARE expensive out there, and it sends my frugality into a tailspin. Hence why I'm staying put.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Sounds like Canada has become a mini US from the talks of these conversations. Be prepared for a crash if the inflation out west keeps up.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Id consider Saskatchewan. Living expenses are cheaper and the job market isnt as satuarated. The only problem is Saskatchewan is....well...Saskatchewan

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

Id consider Saskatchewan. Living expenses are cheaper and the job market isnt as satuarated. The only problem is Saskatchewan is....well...Saskatchewan

YEP...

of course "Wollerton" *spits is always an option.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
" SHAMELESS BUMP"
I would really like to hear more opinions.
Thoughts please?

new topics

top topics

join