It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye, the next word to be forbidden in schools?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I am posing a question for all of you.

The words "bless you" have now been forbidden in many schools because of it's origin in "God Bless You", considered offensive because the word God was in the original phrase and meaning. It has morphed into a simple kindness when someone sneezes.

Did you know the origin of the word "Goodbye"? It originates from the phrase "God Be With Ye"
and has morphed into a simple word of parting
Once academia gets wind of the origin of the word, will it be banned?

My question:

What words or phrases do you know of that "should be banned"

because of their offensive origin?

Let's help the PC crowd a little!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

How about Christmas?

Or is this one already on the list and I'm not saying it should be banned, the banning of words/phrases is simply ridiculous!
Really what's next, burning books!
edit on 9/2/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The words "bless you" have now been forbidden in many schools because of it's origin in "God Bless You", considered offensive because the word God was in the original phrase and meaning. It has morphed into a simple kindness when someone sneezes.

Seriously?

Any sources that discuss this insanity?

Good manners are banned in schools, sources please, something grandmakdw, this cannot be true.

I mean I hope you are wrong but something gives me the feeling that there is something this upside down happening, if you have a source discussing this insanity it would appreciated.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I never say goodbye.
I say Until we meet again...

God be with ye
or
may the force be with you

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

*Ranting about the banning of the phrase, "Bless you" begins...*
Ooooohhh I know!

How about, rather than banning words and phrases, we ban self obsessed, navel gazing, pseudo intellectual cretins, who would be smarter if you dashed out their brains with a lump of broken masonry, from having any power to change anything around them, or affect the lives of normal, everyday people one single iota?

For a start, the phrase "bless you" may well date back further than the time of Christ, or indeed the entire religious tradition from which his life sprung up, so banning the term because it has religious connotations is utterly ridiculous. If it has, then those origins are so buried underneath the layers of everything we know now, that there is no way for us to accurately discern when the phrase began to be said, or for what reasons.

Theories abound of course, but no one knows, or is ever likely to, so even more ridiculous than the banning of a phrase which has a confirmed religious connotation, it is a ban on a phrase which has an entirely nebulous origin, the nature of which is a total mystery in reality.

*Ranting ends*

Ok, my nominations for "Phrases most in need of banning" are...

All the ones invented by the street culture. All of them. Ban them, and burn the tongues of the propagators of this linguistic heresy! I am speaking of things like YOLO, Bruv, Geeza, Bizzle, and their malformed and utterly corrupted kind. BURN THEM ALL FROM HISTORY AND LET THEM NEVER BE SPAKE FOREVERMORE!
edit on 2-9-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added detail.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Word meanings change. Nobody is using the phrase in a religious sense.

That also would mean that the word "good" means "god"

Nobody is purchasing "Gods" and services and nobody is hoping they have a "God" night out. :-)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
its not forbidden in schools, its just one crazy teacher.

"A professor at a small public college in Brunswick, Georgia, has reportedly banned students from saying “bless you” in class and has threatened to deduct points from their final grade if they dare to say it."

"Under Rule No. 6, Mr. Gardner reportedly states: “Saying ‘bless you.’ We are taught that it is polite to say ‘bless you’ when someone sneezes. However, if you say this while I am talking, it is NOT polite, it is very rude!”

www.washingtontimes.com... 27/ga-professor-bans-students-saying-bless-you-report/

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
"Winston. The whole aim of Newspeak, is to narrow the range of thought. In the end, it will make thought crime impossible, because there will be no words to express it."
Donald Pleasance, from the movie 1984(1954 version).

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

Seriously?

Good manners are banned in schools, sources please, something grandmakdw, this cannot be true.

I mean I hope you are wrong but something gives me the feeling that there is something this upside down happening, if you have a source discussing this insanity it would appreciated.

Daily Mail
The Tennessean

A Dyer County High School student was sent to the principal's office on Monday morning after saying "bless you" to another student who sneezed. Seventeen-year-old Kendra Turner told the State Gazette the phrase was on a list of things students were not allowed to say in that class, including "my bad," ''hang out," ''dumb," ''stupid" and "stuff."

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

How about Christmas?

Or is this one already on the list and I'm not saying it should be banned, the banning of words/phrases is simply ridiculous!
Really what's next, burning books!

They call that Xmas now. "Baa Baa Black sheep" was banned in the UK in the 1980's. Nativity plays are banned too, and no taking photographs during school plays. Making finger guns is also banned in the USA, as is biting into biscuits to make gun shapes.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
We have freedom of speech for one thing. For another, to hell with anyone offended by anyone else saying something nice. The same with not being able to say Merry Christmas or whatever. I'm saying them anyway.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

How is it possible to extrapolate a list of words and phrases one teacher in one class in one school has drawn up to hopefully increase the tenor of his classroom, and turn this into "many schools" that are forbidding the use of a supposedly God derived phrase.

Fifty years ago I had an English teacher who gave each of his classes a list of cliches which he forbade us to use in class and in papers. His thinking was that people tended to simplify their thinking processes by succumbing to the use of catch phrases rather than to express their thoughts in a more considered manner. I think this teacher was doing the same thing with his word list. Your position to me seems reactionary rather than cautionary.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Ah choo!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
The words "bless you" have now been forbidden in many schools

I am learning your "style". You see ONE example of something happening ONE time on a right-wing website and you "embellish" it and make the statement that whatever horrible crime is happening in MANY schools... And without a source of ANY kind!

Schools are NOT forbidding the phrase. It's simply a lie.

My question:

What words or phrases do you know of that "should be banned"

because of their offensive origin?

I think knowingly posting false information on ATS should be banned. Hope that helps.
edit on 9/2/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

It is silly to ban a phrase like this!

I am far from religious and I do not take offense when someone says God Bless You after I sneeze. It's just a courtesy or so I thought when one sneezes. Now it's deemed bad and must be forbidden? How crazy!? What time are we living in??

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You could try saying it in French;
"Adieu"- oh no, that's worse.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
It is silly to ban a phrase like this!

I agree. ONE high school teacher banned it in her classroom because it's "religious". ONE college professor banned it because he didn't want students talking while he was lecturing and then changed his mind and removed the ban.

It's not like it's a pressing issue in the public schools of today. It's hyperbole.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

Seriously?

I think you are being sarcastic. But in case you are not, yes it is true. Its' been all over the news.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The words "bless you" have now been forbidden in many schools

So, can you post a source for this statement or not? If it's "all over the news" it shouldn't be too hard. I haven't seen it in the news at all.
edit on 9/2/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why you guys are going through this and we're not. Because we don't let teachers dictate but actually go in and tell them not on my watch, which I've done and most parents have. And don't take that kind of stuff. Why do you guys. Why do you post about what new bill or law, instead of the way you're all phoning in and overturning it, meeting up, giving them such a stink they'd never cross that line with their employees again. We have lots of bad things here too, but in communities, people tend to not take this kind of stuff. And they're quite vocal.

I mean if that passed here we'd all be wearing tshirts. GOD BLESS YOU!!! even the agnostics just because we don't like the alternative.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join