It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My EDC dilemma: help a lady out?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Hello folks!

I have a dilemma with my EDC bag that I hope you all might be able to help me address: I don’t have one.

The biggest problem is that I’m a minimalist, and I like to carry as little as possible. I don’t even carry a purse on a regular basis. I keep my keys, cards, and phone in my pockets.

Now, I’ve always made myself feel better about this by keeping my car well equipped to grab and go from there if I needed to. Lately, though, I’ve been spending a lot more time on foot, mostly walking around a college campus. The other day I cut my hand while on campus, and didn’t even have a damn Band-Aid with me (they were in the car, parked quite far away). That was the final straw.

I need to put together an EDC.

My husband just upgraded my knife (that usually stays in my car). So now, I would like to keep the upgrade on me at all times, but it’s a bit bulky to keep in my pocket. (He sure knows the way to my heart, by the way)!

My next problem with EDC’s is that being a woman, I don’t want to carry a hideous looking bag. I did find a messenger style bag today that will suit my needs for now, but it is not a long-term solution because it is more about cuteness than durability. I’ll upgrade that later, if I ever find a nice looking AND durable bag. It’s about the size of a notebook binder, a bit smaller (maybe 12x12). It has just a couple of pockets on the inside, and a couple outside. It’s narrow, so I don’t want to cram so much inside that it’s bulging.

I browsed some of the threads on here about EDCs to get some ideas about what to put into my new bag, and immediately became VERY overwhelmed. I don’t want to carry binoculars or handsaws. I have enough gear in my car that, unless a meteor or something destroyed it, I can swing by the car and grab my get home bag (assuming my car isn't running).

So I guess I want my EDC to be set up in a really practical, but minimalist sort of way, with the goal of getting me out of a bind or getting me home (usually no more than around 20 miles from home) if things are really bad (without turning into a suitcase sized affair). Is that achievable?

Aside from my knife, Band-Aids, and antibiotic ointment, I have no clue what absolutely MUST be in there. Can you all offer some suggestions, keeping in mind my desire to keep it light and not bulky?

Also, I realize 100% that I am severely limiting myself. That’s why I am acknowledging my flaws, and hoping you will all be constructive and kind with your comments.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You want a magic bag.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I love this whole OP lol.
Poor lady. You being a woman opens up 1000s more possible EDC bags. You know not all large purses, satchels, courier bags, etc etc look bad. Find one you like, maybe one made of leather, canvas, or both.
I know 511 carries some smaller EDC type bags if you want to go the tactical route.
If all else fails, Ladies can pull off the fanny pack look

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Do not take a knife on campus!!! You don't need those problems.

I like individual wipes, panty liners, band aides and tea tree oil in a little change purse for emergencies btw.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
You want a magic bag.

That is EXACTLY what I want!

EyesOpen- I found a bag that'll do, just gotta figure out what to put in it!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

Take a look at the Eberlestock padded bag. Kifaru,Eberlestock,Mystery Ranch,Eagle,TAD......All great makers of kit and you do get what you pay for.

The smallest pack I have is a TAG sustainment bag I love it because you can use it as a pack or it secures on a plate carrier.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I also wanted to add my wife uses a eagle bag she converted into a purse. It is actually great looking and has a ton of options including molle webbing.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
First aid supplies
tissues and baby wipes
OTC pain reliever/anti inflammatory
Some hard candy for when you have nothing to drink
Small snack food
pepper spray
Anything else i haven't mentioned that you would need everyday

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Do not take a knife on campus!!! You don't need those problems.

I like individual wipes, panty liners, band aides and tea tree oil in a little change purse for emergencies btw.

I've read the campus code on weapons, and mine is allowable.
Great point though, important to be aware of the regulations in public places!

I like the handy wipes idea, I usually keep those in my car, but I could see the importance of having them more readily available. And while I'm a huge fan of tea tree and other oils, I am a clumsy oaf and I would probably end up smashing the bottle in the bag.

Subtruth-- Those bags are very.... manly.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Everybody's needs are a little different and you can best answer what you need.

You basically need just a "get back to my car bag".

I guess I would carry:

a few band-aids
triple anti-biotic
roll of gauze
Bic lighter
Small LED flashlight
Leatherman or Gerber multi-tool (screwdrivers, pliers, file, and a knife blade you might get away with on campus)

pepper spray (if your allowed to have it on campus)
bottle of water (in case you had to hunker for a day or so before going to your car?)
couple granola bars (in case you had to hunker for a day or so before going to your car?)

Not sure how large your bag is so it's kinda hard to suggest items.
edit on 1-9-2014 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
First aid supplies
tissues and baby wipes
OTC pain reliever/anti inflammatory
Some hard candy for when you have nothing to drink
Small snack food
pepper spray
Anything else i haven't mentioned that you would need everyday

Thank you. These are exactly the kinds of suggestions I was looking for. So basic, but when I get carried away trying to plan for the most likely occurrences, I find myself getting so overwhelmed that I forget the most basic practical stuff.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood
If you have ever watched a kid, most of those items would be in your purse.

The flashlight and lighter are new items on my portable emergency list. My lighters tend to stay near candles and while I have flashlights all over the house ... not on person.

ETA : have you seen the pepper sprays that look like cute necklaces?! I saw a hello kitty one. No joke!!

edit on 1-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

one word : maxpedition

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

What you really should have is something that stops the bubbly arse syndrome. ( I cant spell diarheera) Bubbly arse syndrome is very embarrassing and serious as it causes dehydration and thus death.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
You may wish to add 25 feet of para cord and a large yard style garbage bag. Very lite, fold up to near nothing and have plenty of uses for both, including instant rain coat, or emergency sleeping bag.
edit on 2-9-2014 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I was always taught not to stop that. Your body is trying to get rid of something, you don't want to keep it. I know its not pleasant but, you could make yourself worse.

ETA: ginger and almonds are good for nausea though.

originally posted by: learnatic

What you really should have is something that stops the bubbly arse syndrome. ( I cant spell diarheera) Bubbly arse syndrome is very embarrassing and serious as it causes dehydration and thus death.

edit on 2-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Just to throw out a non-bag option, take a look at the scott e-vest travel vest. Tons of pockets and you can load a lot of stuff in them without getting that lumpy "full pockets" look.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Whatever bag you choose, I recommend keeping a small can of tuna in oil as a great emergency food, light, and heat source. Small, and long shelf life, you will almost forget it's in there, until you need it.
I wrote a thread (with some pics) about a year ago and it's so so simple but very effective, you just need a knife (which you have) and a bootlace, or scrap of material for a wick.

I definitely recommend it to everyone>>
Easy emergency stove/candle from a can of tuna in oil

My EDC/backpack has all sorts from cordless angle grinder and hammer drill, to crowbar, gaffa tape, locking pliers and a handsaw, but then I need them for my work lol

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Look into a survival tin. I originally got turned onto this idea while reading the SAS survival guide. There are many variations online, it's like a rabbit hole once you start looking. Many great ideas that you can cherry pick from to make your perfect tin.

Basically it's an Altoids tin packed with essentials for survival only. You can carry that in your pocket at all times. You keep the luxery items in the bag on your car.

Also you can wear some gear such as your paracord in the form of a bracelet or key chain. Thus saving space in your tin.
edit on 3-9-2014 by stealthXninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a length of paracord is incredibly useful. since you are in an urban environment, a set of lockpicks might not be a bad idea if they are legal in your area. i definitely support whoever recommended a multi-tool. there are some very nice small sized multi-tools that are no less functional.

you may consider something that allows you to signal with or get attention, like a very loud whistle. if you're trapped it beats yelling.

a bottle of water is a must. a compass also might be handy, as well as a map of the local area.

it's fine to go minimalist, but it is also prudent to have enough with you that you could hike to your house or some other location. you may not be able to reach your car, so water and food+some tools and first aid should be a good starting point.

also i'm curious as to what your upgraded edc knife is

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join