It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do you deal with depression?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Yes, King Solomon sure gave a thorough account of depression there; "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity" Hah!

The thing is that Solomon was so right. In his profound wisdom he knew this old life so very well.

I have often wondered about our expectations of life on an individual basis. We are encouraged to believe by modern standards that there is something to be had from this life; false expectations perpetrated by the media and bigging up of life so we'll be good little soldiers and believe the hype. In contrast Christ and all the Bible visionaries offer us another alternative. Christ said things like "You must hate this life" that are quite hard to figure out initially. As we progress in our faith we do come to understand the short comings of mortality and the real state of existence upon planet earth.

The Bible, poets and visionaries give a more realistic account of life experience beyond the hype of the consumerism of our Western modern lifestyles and expectations.

Bless you. With a little faith and wisdom the modern blues can be held in check and it is possible to muddle on through the pains of existence and hope upon that Kingdom Christ told us about.

I hope our contributions can offer the OP a little glimpse of how faith and spirit can carry us through our darkest moments.

Like King David said;

"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

What's good enough for David, Solomon and Jesus is more than good enough for me.

edit on 1-9-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Believing 100% in something is taking away insecurities (=fear).

So I might see why people benefit from it in case of depression...see my first post.

And yes I have felt that warming sensation (absent fears in your body) too, only to figure out after 10-15 min it was the believing in something a 100% and by so getting rid of fears.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

I think you are correct, that getting lost in the world is vanity above all vanities.

I think depression should be understood as a form of pain. Pain is there to tell you that something is wrong: hunger pain tells you that food is needed, muscle and joint pain tells you to get more exercise, pain from a wound tells you to get to a doctor fast. Depression is an indicator that something is either wrong or missing. When you correct what is wrong, your mind can rest. When you find what is missing, your mind is made whole.

To the op, I urge you to find what is missing. Is it a relationship with your creator? Is it trying to make sense of the chaos of this world? Do you need rest from your troubles? Do you need rest from your thoughts?

In my case, all of these issues are satisfied by the word of God.

I find that if you take the medical approach of trying to bandage the problem with superficial or material solutions, you will only be kicking the can down the road. Deal with it now, and you will only have better days to look forward to.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
I refuse to give into it sitting around thinking does me no good , My way of dealing with it is to go walk the dog

I whole heartedly endorse that!
Its been proven many times how therapeutic dogs are!

Biigsy, GET A DOG, and stop punching people

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

How beautiful to see such understanding. Thank you for brightening up my evening to know that there is someone out there like you. Your faith and understanding is very comforting and most appreciated. Goodnight to you and good luck OP. I hope you get yourself feeling better quickly.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Video games =)

Games are great for taking your mind of things, when i go through stages of depression i get it in my head that i have this massive problem that i must solve and i will think constantly about how i can feel better or more often than not dwell on why I'm feeling bad, so games are great, not just playing games but the whole gaming experience, yi know I'm on steam and I've met some cool people there to talk too and not just about games.

And steam sales lol my games library is just about too pass 200, a bit retail therapy feels awesome lol

But we also have to face our depression and not avoid it so i find what works good for me is identifying any problems that i can potentially solve and go about trying to solve them starting with little things and working your way up, usually it's an accumulation of the little things that add up to being a part of the larger problem.

Set yourself goals even if they are just little ones, go at your own pace and stop comparing yourself to others, any achievement is a personal victory when you are depressed.

Try and improve your diet, take vitamins, and do your best to get into a decent sleep pattern.

And don't forget to wear sunscreen.

edit on 1-9-2014 by GreyGoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The feeling is mutual. Thank you for the conversation. Good night to you, friend.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I'm very sorry you're feeling like this, it's no place to be. Just remember...it will get better. I know that's hard to see when you're in that place but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

A few years ago I attempted suicide several times and did some other things I'm not too proud of, I was struggling with a drinking problem and major depression and anxiety. I did go on meds and they started helping after a month. I only stayed on them for about 9 months because of the side effects.

Meditation has helped me tremendously and so has writing. I'm not good at expressing myself verbally, for whatever reason it comes out better on paper, so I write.

Reading has also helped me stay grounded. Someone suggested a new hobby might help as well so I started making crystal wand necklaces.

While I'm not struggling with depression per se...I have extremely bad anxiety post earthquake and made an appointment with my doctor for some meds.

There are also online forums such as this one dedicated to people struggling with depression or anxiety etc. sometimes it helps to read about other peoples experiences with depression, knowing you're not alone can be somehow comforting.

I wish you the most success! You will get through this!!
edit on 1-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Depression is a chemical imbalance and has absolutely nothing to do with vanity. That's the type of outdated belief that puts a bad stigma on people with depression. Like they can just snap out of it, it's not that easy.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
well my issues are: been out of work for 6 months, spent all my money then broke my hand which i need for my job with severe nerve damage.

My friends have all but left me, my girlfriend slept with her boss and ive been asked to move out in a month which is hard to do when you are alone and have no money.

So its looking pretty bad.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
do your own research on these ideas I'm not going to hold your hand LOL take responsibility for yourself

Ibogaine is the most effective cure. this will cure all addictions as well from alcohol to heroin within 2 days no side effects

removing the poisons that are used to chemically imbalance us is another.
no caffeine as its the same shape as the molecule serotonin and blocks the uptake of it.
go for a walk this releases endorphins the same as what the anti depressant drugs do,
stop using all forms of plastic in the kitchen these leach poisons like BPA which mimics womens estrogen in the body and disrupts the chemicals mercury and sodium lauryl sulphate also mimic estrogen (this is the reason some men are turning gay believe it or not)

start taking iodine borax and sulphur these remove the heavy metals from our bodies, the sulphur needs to have no additives in it whatsoever otherwise it will not work, you want to get coarse crystal flakes. this will also unblock your arteries from all the crap that is deposited in them this will enable other functions in your body to work better
banana skins are really good for the brain contains tryptophan which is a precursor to serotonin although you have to scrub the pesticides off the skin
jesusisiam.com...
try a raw food diet at least you could do a smoothie as a breakfast replacement source the most natural foods grow them yourself,

you can regenerate your nerve system with the right herbs and foods you have to educate yourself, borax (30mg a day) combined with magnesium (400-600mg a day) will heal any broken bones twice as fast as any other cure

fake laughter the brain cannot tell the difference this releases endorphins

try and drink pure water Distilled with added electrolytes is the most natural form for our bodies there are so many chemicals in our water now that the official classification of tap water is chemical soup the testing was done by a university in Sydney

learn about health and food you can then go and help others and in turn earn a decent wage although this takes a while

also these foods are the most toxic for the human body Pork Dairy Tomatoes Soy and Wheat
edit on 1-9-2014 by jinni73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Hey man sorry to hear you are going through this. I sent you a u2u.hope you are doing ok.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Realize that your life or your suffering is no worse , no more intense or better then what millions of other people have dealt with . Things seem horrible now but you aren't alone.

When life brings me to my saddest places I listen to the same album and force myself to go even farther into that sadness for a night.. Let it all come out..let everything flow , hold nothing back and realize that things will balance out and you just need to keep going until they do..

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Sorry man I can't get your replys to pop up so I can read them and I don't know what's wrong. It was working awhile ago.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: xbox

Sorry man I can't get your replys to pop up so I can read them and I don't know what's wrong. It was working awhile ago.

its cool dude just chill.

everything might not be fine and i am working on it, thank you for your number and i will consider it if i need to talk when no one else is around, you are a nice person.

good luck and all the best with your stuff.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
it seems selfish to complain and ask for help when there are so many more bigger issues in the world for so many people.

i live where i live and this is a big deal for me which is why im asking for your advice.

i know there are starving homeless children in the world and thats a shame but i cant do anything about that, and definitely not at the moment, im about to be made homeless myself so i need to sort this all out first before i can look out for anyone else.

certainly gives you an appreciation for other peoples issues, i will look at things very differently when this is all worked out

edit on b00001126 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Sounds like life has thrown you a few curve balls....first off... Focus on finding a job.....any job...even if it's just a job in between finding a great job...it will give you money, freedom, and self worth. Plus you'll meet new people ...as for your ex girlfriend sleeping around, ....she's not worthy of you. Once a cheat always a cheat. Be glad you're done with her now, and not 5 years from now..... ,and waste no more time on her.....in the mean time......get out and walk or jog for fresh air, exercise and sunlight...it'll make you feel better. Also, look into "st.johnswart" herbal supplement. That helps too...just know all of this WILL pass, in time. So smile and keep your head up.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Sounds like life has thrown you a few curve balls....first off... Focus on finding a job.....any job...even if it's just a job in between finding a great job...it will give you money, freedom, and self worth. Plus you'll meet new people ...as for your ex girlfriend sleeping around, ....she's not worthy of you. Once a cheat always a cheat. Be glad you're done with her now, and not 5 years from now..... ,and waste no more time on her.....in the mean time......get out and walk or jog for fresh air, exercise and sunlight...it'll make you feel better. Also, look into "st.johnswart" herbal supplement. That helps too...just know all of this WILL pass, in time. So smile and keep your head up.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
i do have a new job lined up, somthing ive never done before so not sure if i will mess it up, theres no internet and its in the middile of no where project managing a building restore of a 400 year old cottage in wales.

i cant do my IT because of my hand but its money so i will take it.

really dont know how this will turn out, theres nothing to do in the mean time at all and i will be telling building workers what to do, so thats going to be interesting and nicely distracting

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Looks like things are already turning around...!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join