It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Ice Age

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
"Are we heading into a new Ice Age?"

www.skepticalscience.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Humans will, adapt and survive, plenty of huge caves, lots of underground car parks, plenty of tunnels, Thorium reactors will suddenly apier for the rich, aquaponics kits are ready and waiting, the rich don't get rich by being stupid.....

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Humans will, adapt and survive, plenty of huge caves, lots of underground car parks, plenty of tunnels, Thorium reactors will suddenly apier for the rich, aquaponics kits are ready and waiting, the rich don't get rich by being stupid.....

This is not even needed.
A glacial period isn't as bad as some doomsayers are advertising. At some lattitudes it would even improve the climate for us humans.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: monkeyluv

From your link....
A quote of their science:

It's believed that a combination of lower solar output and high volcanic activity were major contributors
(highlighting in red by me)

I thought only stupid religious fanatics operated on belief?
I guess skeptical scientists do too.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak
First thoughts
Hurry everyone pack up & run south “The Ice Age is Coming”
Hurry everyone pack up & head north “ The Mega Drought is Coming”
Which way do I go, Which way do I go????

Good thread *& F

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Skeptical scientists use science to come up with hypothesis and theories. Then they adjust as new information comes available.

One thing you can be sure of: They are more likely to be correct than some uneducated poster on the interwebs lol

Your application of the word belief is not only incorrect in the application, it is also disingenuous to the point of being a prevarication intended to twist meanings.

believe [bih-leev] Spell Syllables Examples Word Origin verb (used without object), believed, believing. 1. to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully. verb (used with object), believed, believing. 2. to have confidence or faith in the truth of (a positive assertion, story, etc.); give credence to. 3. to have confidence in the assertions of (a person). 4. to have a conviction that (a person or thing) is, has been, or will be engaged in a given action or involved in a given situation: The fugitive is believed to be headed for the Mexican border. 5. to suppose or assume; understand (usually followed by a noun clause): I believe that he has left town. Verb phrases 6. believe in, to be persuaded of the truth or existence of: to believe in Zoroastrianism; to believe in ghosts. to have faith in the reliability, honesty, benevolence, etc., of: I can help only if you believe in me.

Deny ignorance. We should also deny intended transmission of misinformation.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Great OP. Yes we are headed for a cool period, despite the global warming prophets of doom and their profiteer supporters.

SO is a great resource.

I came across something else that is interesting, not mentioned in the OP. dansgaard-oeschger cycle. 1470 year sun cycle were the sun activity rises. The theory is that these cycles prevent the earth from becoming a snow ball during an ice age.

The theory in the video below is that the Maunder Minimum was broken by a dansgaard-oeschger cycle, that if the cycle had not caused an increase in solar activity we would be a lot colder today. So 1700 to today was a brief respite before a plunge in temperatures. Interesting, worth looking at further.

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeekingDepth
First thoughts
Hurry everyone pack up & run south “The Ice Age is Coming”
Hurry everyone pack up & head north “ The Mega Drought is Coming”
Which way do I go, Which way do I go????

Good thread *& F

Yeah...there are so many agendas, so much misinformation that it is hard to know what to believe, what to do.

Bottom line (IMO): Climate change has existed since there was a climate. Man was not responsible then, man can do little to stop it now. It will happen with or without man's help.

People do the doom saying thing about global warming, and yet we will be fine if global warming takes place. Sure, we will be inconvenienced, we will lose some low lying cities, we will have to adjust to changing weather patterns but man will survive easily enough. There will not be billions of people starving.

If we enter into a period of heavy glacial growth, the same cannot necessarily be said. The period in history when man was almost wiped out was during glacial growth. Severe glacial growth will severely curtail man's ability to sustain (and will not be able to) feeding 6 or 7 billion people. There will be billions of people starving.

edit on 1-9-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Another part of the equation is the flow of warm water up the east coast from the gulf stream. I read an article that the mini ice ages were preceded by melting north pole cap that reduced the salinity of northern oceans which caused the gulf stream to flow much more southerly before heading towards Europe.

The gulf stream has slowed to its slowest speed since records were kept. If the water stops flowing into the Arctic and turns right at Maine, Tthe polar cap will grow rapidly as it's done over the last two years.

It will reflect more of the sun's light and lead to very rapid cooling. I've been feeling intuitively that were heading for major cooling.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mcChoodles

Just an FYI: the northern ice cap ice has been growing, as has the antarctica ice coverage. I think antarctica is like 18% greater ice coverage than a few years ago.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
And here I heard Greenland was going back to being Green when the ice melted a few years ago.

What was the Chicago July record BTW?

Great post OP. Chicago has had relatively mild winters since the blizzard of 1999. Actually, its been seasonably warm since then. No one can actually say Chicago had a crushing winter like 20 years ago because it hasn't happen. Keep in mind the summers have also been exceptionally cooler in the last 15 years as well. Nothing like the sweltering heat of the early 90s. Back in the 1980s man, those were some COLD ASS Winters. Windchill would be 80 below zero easily in December. We use to keep food on the back porch it was so cold and it would keep quite nicely.

Chicago has always had 8 months of winter and 4 months of summer. No spring or fall really as fast as the temps plummet. But it has been cool summers though.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The planet is constantly heading into an ice age. It's the rule, not the exception.

The real question is: How much longer do we have left of our current nice comfy interim interglacial period ?

100 years ?
1000 years ?
5000 years ?

It also seems to be common for "mini ice ages" to kick in sporadically during the interglacials.

Nobody knows when this interglacial is going to end, and nobody knows when the next "mini ice age" is going to interrupt that interglacial either.

And FYI: It's also not uncommon for temps to soar until they hit a peak right before the temps plummet into another full blown ice age.

And there's not a damn thing we can do about either one, except adaptation.

It seems to look like our temps are just about up there again:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Did you read the link?
They are trying to debunk the people that say an ice age is coming relatively soon.
They are using conjecture to prove their point.
Science is about conjecture, but it is about proof in the end. The two are not interchangeable.
The New Ice Age side has the timing of the cycles on their side in the argument.

(post by HUMBLEONE removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: monkeyluv

From your link....
A quote of their science:

It's believed that a combination of lower solar output and high volcanic activity were major contributors
(highlighting in red by me)

I thought only stupid religious fanatics operated on belief?
I guess skeptical scientists do too.

Read the references linked to in the sentence. After that, read the top of the page and the rest of the article.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Might surprise you to know, but the earth is and has been in an ice age for a few hundred millennia now.

Ice ages have their hot and cold cycles, juts like any other age and the earth is currently in the end phases of a warm period of the current ice age.

cheers.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The Arctic was home to 12 Different species of Elephant and 6 types of Rhinoceros 13k years ago.

Also did you know Wooley Mammoth's required 300-400lbs of Vegetation/day to survive?

Saturn giveth and taketh away. This new sun sucks.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
and on the news?
we are going to be killed by a blast from the Sun!
sun has woken up, so no cooling?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
TO answer an earlier question. The Chinese were keeping records of sunspots for centuries from what i recall reading. 364 BC if wiki is really believable, I will dare to use them THIS time.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-9-2014 by Justoneman because: more info

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Y'all have made my month!
That was my first thread and although not over yet,
I survived and still only have one (whistle sound).
No one tore me a new one.. Anyway
Thank you all . I learned so much. Brilliant people here.
I am a bit concerned that if the low heliospheric pressure and sunspot activity
do help usher in a perfectly normal and timely cold spell;
What if this is the Big Chill ? The 90,000 year one? Timing is about spot on.
Obviously none of us will be around for it but it's something to consider.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join