It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second-hand e-cig smoke compared to regular cigarette smoke

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
NOTICE
This thread is about e-cigs and effects of their second-hand "smoke".

It is not about smoking MJ, or the pros and cons thereof. That's why those off-topic MJ-related posts have been removed.

Please stay on topic.

Any further off-topic posts relating to the above (or other illicit use) will result in post removals and if necessary, posting bans.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
E-cigs produce no smoke. You can't 'light them up'. And unless they're flavoured, they smell of nothing. Apart from that, this is obviously the go-to thread for accurate information.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Your first clue that this article is bunk, should've been that they're comparing second hand smoke from cigarettes to second hand smoke from ecigs.

Ecigs produce water vapor, cigarettes produce smoke. Its like comparing smoke from a fire to the vapor from a boiling pot of water. No comparison.

So as for your statement, "there we have it" no, we don't have it. Not even close!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Real evidence is always really really hard. You could smoke like crazy and die of lung cancer, but living close to a highway as well and that is also a big cause for lung cancer (very small particles get in your lungs).
Now proving what caused that lung cancer, almost impossible??

edit on 30-8-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheMistro81

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
This doesn't surprise me.
My boyfriend did the e-cig thing for a little while, and the smell of it made me me gag. To me, it had a really strange, familiar smell... And it wasn't until he was weeks from quitting that it clicked in my head that when he blew the air out, it smelled like the medication in inhalers. I immediately told him to get rid of it. If you're smoking something that smells like a medication it's probably not good for you.

He pulled the "I'm addicted to it," line and didn't quit til later on, but I stayed away from it.

The smell, especially the medicated smell, was due to the flavor of the liquid. Mine certainly doesn't have the smell you describe.

Not to mention that there are so many brands of liquid, and the majority are not good at all. I wouldn't vape most brands, but then again, I have mine made fresh, and I know exactly what's in the mix. With other brands from say, China, they mix them differently, with more additives, I believe. I wouldn't go near liquid made in China.

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. I know of someone who works in a vape shop and her stuff always smelled really good, but she also had the electronic cigarettes that looked like the hookah thingyjigs. (You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on e-cigs) Boyfriends was one of the cheap ones from Kroger. Looked like a cigarette, came with cartridges. It wasn't Metro or Blu... Ugh, wish I could remember the name of the brand.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Has anyone studied what cooking vapors contain, we use all kinds of pots and pans, Teflon(plastic ) , metallic and ceramic etc. Cooking also produces vapor in the air we inhale.. Not all vapors go to extractor fan.

It's not irrelevant. People need to know if they are jeopardized second-hand !

( i don´t smoke or drink .. but sometimes its good to wonder )

maybe we need to compare cooking vapors with Tobacco and e-cigs !

edit on 30-8-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I make my own liquids, which contain nothing more than nicotine, propykene glycol, vegetable glycerine, and a little bit of flavoring (the same kind used in food).

Where is the lead, cadmium, nickel and zinc?

There's a vast difference in the additives done between making your own (or having them made similarly to mine above ((which most vaping shops do) )) and those found on the market, pre-done with a lot of extra crap in them. Think the Blu cartridges you can get in gas stations and such.

To the person above complaining of the odor... again, it is totally dependent on the liquid being used. My wife could not STAND my smoking around her (she has heart issues and it would make her chest hurt to be around the smoke). Being around the vaping bothers her not a bit and she enjoys the odors that come from it quite a bit. Reminds her of cotton candy or apples most of the time.

This study really seems biased overall and I have no qualms of seeing it as yet another hit piece funded by big tobacco to reduce the use of e-cigs. This would not be the first of that type. It's, quite frankly, becoming ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

There was some Tefal (brand) frying pan which was sold very well over here with an anti cooking layer which was very dangerous. If you had for example a parrot as a pet and he would inhale (birds are much more touchy, their bones are holow and act like lungs even!), they would often die.
They didn't got sold much later on when they found out.

But with everything, you get something... Tattoos seems safe but still something gets in your body.. or what about plastic what is in close contact with your food, even heating up when you cover it in the magnetron. You get small amounts from many different materials inside, and if enough (&enough time) when unlucky you could get some sort of cancer
No, it's no miracle cancer rates are skyrocketing.
edit on 30-8-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jomina

I believe those comes from "cooking" fluid in vaporizer ? .. isn´t that method related to cooking after all.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Here's a hole in this drivel. Nobody smokes 'traditional ecigs.'

Traditional ecigs are those discusting Blu brand things they sell in 7/11s which are disposable and made out of cheap garbage.

It is all about buying a quality e cig (nothing more than a battery and a tank attached) as well as quality e liquid.

Quality e lig has flavoring, nicotine, and vegetable glycerin. Nothing more.

If you get a quality tank it will not be chipping away particles into the juice.

Also, since when do e cigs emit smoke? Maybe those crappy 711 ones the tobacco companies are pushing...but a proper e cig emits only vapor.

Nice try with your disinfo there OP.

Try to find a not biased source for your drivel.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out that these "results" we're found by research commissioned and funded by Big Tobacco. They've got to be running scared from the popularity of these ecigs. Where in the world would metals come from in this vapor?? Isn't it just nicotine and water with flavoring?? If this is even true, I'm sure it can't be that hard to make an ecig that contains none of that stuff.

link   

originally posted by: Jomina
I make my own liquids, which contain nothing more than nicotine, propykene glycol, vegetable glycerine, and a little bit of flavoring (the same kind used in food).

I think that was chromium. the nickel and chromium are from the heating element. "Nichrome" wire has been used for electrical heating for decades. Although, I'd be surprised if the levels ever got high enough to be an issue.

link   

Since when does a vaporizer 'cook' anything? It vaporizes it....like when water evaporates...it releases.....wait for it - water, in steam form.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

If i understand right there is a heat involved in vaporizing. Basics are same as in home cooking where steam ( water ) is released.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Blu is actually owned by Big Tobacco. I guess they need to diversify as cigarette sales are slumping and ecig sales are doubling every year. So their propaganda would be on the side of ecigs .

I would be wary of their extra ingredients to keep their customer base firmly hooked.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Half of the things you mentioned you get from taking a multivitamin.

www.centrum.com...

Yep, nicely called trace elements or similar, although I guess the idea in tabs is that you don't inhale them, but hey I bet the tabs get to the bloodstream quicker anyway. Then there is the big birds in the sky that are chucking all this stuff and more, down from above. WHO are comedians at times, agenda driven at best, or just plain condescendingly stupid.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
A friend of mine went on a mission with Samaritans Purse with an eyeglass eye health team. Many village woman had blindness and cataracts caused by cooking indoors with bad ventilation. It was the fuels they were cooking with such as coal,dung or wood that caused the problem. Breathing all that would be harmful as well.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
You can't lump all e-cigs into one study and then cite that ONE study.

E-cigs manufacturers are numerous--likewise for the e-cig liquid
manufacturers. You'd have to test each one independently, or all
of them as a whole, to get any significant results.

If you apply science you get two components that matter.

One is the heating filament for the e-liquid. What type of material
is used, and how much of that material is vaporized along with the
liquid? For instance, if the filament was made using radioactive
material, you'd be better off smoking cigarettes.

The second is the liquid. As stated, there are many manufacturers
of this liquid with differing formulas.

That being said, the worst (of the popular) e-cig and e-liquid
manufacturers are producing a VERY safe alternative to conventional
smoking.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: rival
One is the heating filament for the e-liquid. What type of material
is used, and how much of that material is vaporized along with the
liquid? For instance, if the filament was made using radioactive
material, you'd be better off smoking cigarettes.

As already stated...they use nichrome wire. Nichrome has been used for around 100 years as an electrical resistance heating wire. It is not radioactive, and is a very stable alloy. It is the most coon electrical heating element...

Check it out...
edit on 30-8-2014 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
To save time, I put everyone's response into one thread. Find your name & read the response. ((Although it would be helpful to read all responses, even if it's not to you))
~~~~~~~~~~

a reply to: starfoxxx

also OP if you read nickel, zince, and lead, are found in conventional cigarettes also..

Yes I read how there are higher amounts of Nickel, zinc & lead than that found in conventional cigarettes. Good to know you can read.

Acting like ecigs are not a safer alternative to conventional cigarettes is dumb..

Acting like it's no big deal that the toxins & metals in ecigs is still dangerous, even though it's not as bad as conventional cigarettes is dumb.

How can you competently say ahahahahaah gotcha ecgis baaaaaaaaad ecigs baaaaad ban them ban them..

what a moron
get a grip

I can competently say they are bad because there are still toxins & metals found in ecigs, therefore it is bad. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that toxins & metals are bad for you. You call me the moron, you are the one who needs to get a grip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: TheMistro81

I would be happy to go point by point, and lay it all out for everyone, but there is simply too much to go over
Not meaning you, but in general, most people on ATS ask for proof for arguments & they say if you don't provide the proof, you have nothing.

I can admit I know nothing about ecigs because I have 0 interest in smoking. I do think people who smoke, especially in this day & age, are the ignorant/arrogant ones for smoking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: darkwarrior
If the article doesn't say what kind of ecig was used, you will have to look at the article in the journal it was published in.
Particulate Metals and Organic Compounds from Electronic and Tobacco-containing Cigarettes: Comparison of Emission Rates and Secondhand Exposure

~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: DogMeat

the OP did his best....give him that.

I hate it when people assume gender. I'm a woman.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

I see the propaganda has infiltrated nicely into the masses. Ecigarettes do not emit smoke

It doesn't matter that ecigs don't emit smoke, they still emit vapors & those vapors are what have the toxins & metals in them. That is a fact, not propaganda. Just because they used the word smoke instead of vapor, doesn't mean that the toxins & metals being released, aren't being released.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: SummerLightning

this is obviously the go-to thread for accurate information.

This is the go-to thread for hardly an argument against the topic on hand.
"They don't produce smoke. Case closed" I don't think so Tim. While yes there is no smoke, there are still vapors & within those vapors are toxins & metals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: TheMistro81

See the above response.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: Jomina

Not sure but this is what the study says in the journal it was published in.

Implementing quality control protocols on the manufacture of e-cigarettes would further minimize the emission of metals from these devices and improve their safety and associated health effects.

Particulate Metals and Organic Compounds from Electronic and Tobacco-containing Cigarettes: Comparison of Emission Rates and Secondhand Exposure
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: lightedhype

Nice try with your disinfo there OP. Try to find a not biased source for your drivel.

I thought it was a good try too, posting from a credible source. Sharing an article that clearly states that there are toxins & metals in ecigs, despite most of the amounts being less than conventional cigs, doesn't mean I'm trying to share disinfo. After all, they are still facts.

Also, stating that toxins & metals like chromium are bad for you isn't drivel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: Urantia1111

Where in the world would metals come from in this vapor?? Isn't it just nicotine and water with flavoring??

Gee I don't know, maybe the metal from the device being used to smoke the liquid? Really? Come on now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
a reply to: rival

You can't lump all e-cigs into one study and then cite that ONE study.

E-cigs manufacturers are numerous--likewise for the e-cig liquid
manufacturers. You'd have to test each one independently, or all
of them as a whole, to get any significant results.

As I am not the one conducting the study, I don't know how it was done. I don't know if they only used one ecig & one egic liquid or if they tested a lot more. Maybe in the full article that was published in the journal it will say, I would think you would need to include that in your study but I'm not 100% sure.
~~~~~~~~~~

For those who remained civil, I thank you. For those who didn't, it's a shame your parents taught you nothing about manners. What does name calling accomplish? For starters, it makes you look like a tool who has 0 argument so the only thing you can do is name call. Second, wait that's actually the only thing.

Aside from saying "derp, derpa, derp, it must be false because no smoke is actually released from ecigs" and/or "derp, derpa, derp, it must be false because big tobacco companies don't want ecigs to replace regular cigs" Does anyone have actual evidence to back them up? Can anyone show me evidence that says "the toxins & metals from ecigs is not harmful?"

Yes, ecigs aren't as bad as cigs but they are still bad. They are still releasing toxins & metals, which still is not good for you. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that toxins & metals are not good for you. Ergo I stand by my original statement:
"To sum it up: Pick your poison, they are both bad for you & people around you."
edit on 30-8-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join