It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Anti-Depressant Rules (UK)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The agency responsible for providing guidance on medical treatments in the UK is advising that doctors reconsider their use of powerful anti-depressants - Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) in particular - in cases of "moderate" depression or anxienty. This coincides with recent findings in this area by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).

news.bbc.co.uk
New guidelines are being issued to doctors by the drugs regulator on the use of some anti-depressants, amid growing concern about their safety.

The National Institute for Clinical Excellence guidelines cover drugs such as Prozac and Seroxat used by hundreds of thousands of people in the UK.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I recently posted a story about new (US) legislation which bans educational authorities from requiring "problem" children to be drugged. And now this...could it be that a corner is being turned??

I have some personal knowledge of this, having been prescribed SSRIs for "maybe" being "slightly" depressed...kind of like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The bottom line is that these are powerful medications, and the truth is that no one REALLY understands the brain well enough to say with certainty that they're safe. I don't think they should be used execpt perhaps in cases of extreme psychosis, where lives are at risk.

Could be bad news for folks with stock in drug companies, I guess...

NOTE ON LINKS: Neither the NICE or MHRA sites have been updated with this information yet.

Related News Links:
www.mhra.gov.uk
www.nice.org.uk

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Update: this has now hit the news on the other side of the pond: NY Times Story

new topics

join