It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Spooky'' Quantum Entanglement Reveals Invisible Objects

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Thats an interesting things about quantum physics, writing about it does sometimes sound like one Hendrix album too many but I guess that's how it is, science finds it one way and the other guys (psychedelic) sort of found it in another way.

I could say 'far out' and it would say a lot about it, like word play that works scientifically (dimensional) and metaphorically (psychedelic dimensional).

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: KrzYma
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

The team passed the red light beam through etched stencils and into cutouts of tiny cats and a trident, about 0.12 inches (3 millimeters) tall. The yellow beam traveled on a separate line, never hitting the objects. What's more, the etched shapes were designed to be invisible to yellow light.

WHY? yellow was already travelling on a separate line.. ?!

After the red light passed by the objects, the physicists ran it together with the yellow laser beam at both parallel and right angles. The red light was then discarded, and the yellow light headed for a camera. There, that yellow light revealed a picture of the object. And a negative of the picture emerged from the light that had interfered at a right angle.

how is this "...Reveals Invisible Objects"
the red saw it or not ??

NICE PHYSICS! COOL!

You just want to avoid any possibility of any other interference effect. But that is incredible. Take two laser beams, combine them together so the photons are entangled, send them off on their way, let one beam hit the object, and what photons don't appear on your view screen are the ones that hit the target object.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

About time science is finally catching up. You have to wonder what ancient people already knew about....then being unsure on the subject, science just disregarded it like a piece of trash, claiming it`s nothing more than myths and false believes..

Can`t wait for the day when it will be revealed that it is us who live in myths and false believes

Great find.(S+F)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

well that is pretty awesome.

SO what if sending out a beam of light into space while keeping its counterpart here on earth.

You could essentially scan the universe without leaving home.

That would take exactly twice as long as simply using a telescope, since the light from the first beam would have to be reflected back from whatever you were looking at and passed through the second beam.

Harte

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

You just want to avoid any possibility of any other interference effect. But that is incredible. Take two laser beams, combine them together so the photons are entangled, send them off on their way, let one beam hit the object, and what photons don't appear on your view screen are the ones that hit the target object.

I'm not quite sure if you agree or disagree this experiment is "useless"

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: KrzYma
a reply to: stormcell

I'm not quite sure if you agree or disagree this experiment is "useless"

It's certainly an interesting parlor trick. But with visible light, it only gives you a view of something you can already see as long as you control the direction the photons go in. It might be more fun with radio waves, and X-rays combined with visible light. You could have a projector system that lets you see inside something and projects the result onto a screen.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Op3nM1nd3d

About time science is finally catching up. You have to wonder what ancient people already knew about....then being unsure on the subject, science just disregarded it like a piece of trash, claiming it`s nothing more than myths and false believes..

Can`t wait for the day when it will be revealed that it is us who live in myths and false believes

Great find.(S+F)

I once bought a book on Ancient Indian Vimanas. Most of the technology was basic high school stuff - parabolic dishes to capture sound and transfer the vibrations along a wire, or storing energy in pools of acid (aka. car batteries), projection system with colored filters to project pictures of lions and tigers onto walls and the ground, much like those projectors nightclubs use to display adverts on the ground.

But they had the idea that you could put light through a crystal lens, have the beam of light go into the ground, be reflected back and refocused onto a phosphorous screen (which would then be illuminated and glow). It was intended to detect buried objects, so perhaps X-rays were emitted, reflected back as UV light.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
ahhhh wow this is amazing....thank you for this info!! at this point i guess i cant really be surprised....anything is possible after all hahah even if i cant understand it which makes my head hurt but feels good though. we really have such a tiny 'idea' lol. nice!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Why did you use some guy's blog to try to prove your point?

Because if you want argue the point you can argue all you want with a Professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, not me
Yes quantum entanglement does exist but the information entanglement is conceptually similar to having two cards, one the ace of diamonds, the other the ace of hearts, placing each in an envelope, shuffling and sending one of the envelopes to mars so it can be viewed by the rover camera. Like Schrodinger's Cat we won't know what card we have on mars until we open the envelope on earth. When we open the envelope on earth and find its the ace of diamonds, we have instantly set the state of the second card on mars at faster than light speeds to the ace of hearts and that is spooky action at a distance.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no "reflecting back". That is (one of) the points of this experiment. Two separate and independent beams of light that were entangled. One hits the cat image. The other NEVER does. There is no reflecting back. One beam is measured while the other that hit the image of the cat is discarded.

So if sending out a beam of light into the universe that has quantum entanglement with another you are keeping track of on earth would have you just measure the one on earth while the one you send out into space is never seen from again.

A possible application of this is to develop technologies that apply this to space exploration. If you can keep that beam of light bouncing around on earth while its quantum counterpart is projecting out into space, you could in theory get back images for as long as that light in space travels or for as long as you could contain its earth bound counterpart. A telescope would only show you the visible universe from our current position by means of light traveling into its lens. This would be more like having a guided telescope shooting out into space with instant transmission back to earth.

The real question is: what is the limit?

Is there a permanent bond between the two entangled beams of light? Is there a way to make it permanent if not? Is there a way to keep a beam of light trapped in a system where it can be measured perpetually while its entangled counterpart projects out?

As far as the speed limit for the universe......Quantum states DEFY all laws of the macro universe. I would say being in two places at once is faster than light......Bending space would also render any light speed speed limit mute. We know there are places in the visible universe where space is "bent" by gravitational forces or other forces yet unknown...specifically light goes from one point to another without traveling through that entire patch of space between those two points.

If we had a way of scanning the universe instantly with shortcuts that go faster than light by bent space or quantum fluctuations in the nature of the light we send out I think that would be FAR superior to using a little lens housed in a stationary point that has to wait for light to be reflected back into it from random directions towards our little rock settled in out little corner of the universe.

Just saying...

If this holds true for photons....imagine if its true for all particles..all forms of energy and matter. Imagine a world where quantum entanglement was incorporated into our imaging equipment. Imagine if we could shoot any particle at an object....and measure what it hits by means of another particle elsewhere that we contain and measured. USING the quantum universe to measure and master the regular universe....I am intrigued at least.

Imagine if we could use the very nature of quantum states to particles to see things BEYOND our visible universe by sending out particles that go through fluctuations into a quantum state and that those particles could traverse huge swaths of space in a quantum state only to emerge FAR from where they were sent out....INSTANTLY. That would be faster than light speed. Light travels at an exact speed in the macro universe....but no where else is that true.

edit on 9 1 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no "reflecting back". That is the point of this experiment. Two separate and independent beams of light that were entangled. One hits the cat image. The other NEVER does. There is no reflecting back. One beam is measured while the other that hit the image of the cat is discarded.

From the OP:

After the red light passed by the objects, the physicists ran it together with the yellow laser beam at both parallel and right angles.

Must've been reflected back.

Harte

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Well there wasnt a reflection "back".

After the red light passed by the objects, the physicists ran it together with the yellow laser beam at both parallel and right angles.

The red light was then discarded, and the yellow light headed for a camera. There, that yellow light revealed a picture of the object. And a negative of the picture emerged from the light that had interfered at a right angle.

The beams traveled together side by side (parallels and then at right angles). The red light was discarded and only the yellow light was measured. All on a direct path....

So it was projected, then it hit the objects, then their paths were manipulated (parallel and right angles) then into the camera.

There was no reflecting back. It was all a direct path. Emitter to camera with a cat in the way...lol

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Hmm, I suspect some information transfer right there !! Maybe a neat way of transferring information from one frequency (x ray) to another (visible light), for example.

But absolutely nothing "spooky" or some profound insight into consciousness.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
"I see dead cats"

Sorry, frivolous for once...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

The article mentions ''spooky'' as that is how Einstein termed it.

As for an insight into consciousness, it could be seeing as Quantum Physics delves into that realm.

physics.about.com...
edit on 1-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I think what he meant was; then if u point ur red lazer at mars in the same straight line, the yellow lazer you'd want to read would only give u the right info if it catches the red lazer after it hits mars, hence needing to be found near that "projection" & on or past mars, maybe even further, negating the point. Or have I missed something as well? Very interesting poster though, I actually hope I did misfollow something.
Great topic too!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Arrestme

Well that is true. I am not saying that this technique can be used to image mars for example since you would need to be beyond mars collecting the light after it hits it.

What CAN be used is the fact that quantum entangled light can be used to measure light projected out towards an object by light that is not. That is still true. The means to achieve this without being on the other end to collect it would be the actual technology and Nobel prize worthy method developed.

What I suppose one method could be is to project the light at opposite directions. So maybe a satellite emits a laser beam into space with another being sent back to earth. The entanglement happens before the light is directed with right angles in opposing directions. So the most important space is that which is aboard the satellite which is in between the two beams of light after the emiter.

Another challenge would be keeping the photons on earth contained and keeping them from decaying long enough to measure them while the space bound light is on its way.

I am just guessing here.

It does make you think though.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Well there wasnt a reflection "back".

The red light was then discarded, and the yellow light headed for a camera. There, that yellow light revealed a picture of the object. And a negative of the picture emerged from the light that had interfered at a right angle.

The beams traveled together side by side (parallels and then at right angles). The red light was discarded and only the yellow light was measured. All on a direct path....

So it was projected, then it hit the objects, then their paths were manipulated (parallel and right angles) then into the camera.

People usually call that bolded part above "reflection."

originally posted by: tadamanThere was no reflecting back. It was all a direct path. Emitter to camera with a cat in the way...lol

Reflection must occur if the red light is to be in any way redirected, which the link most clearly states it was.

Harte

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Honestly I do not see how this correlates to hidden worlds. I suppose this would or could in theory create an image of some distant place but I dont know how entanglement could be that organized between many photons not just a single stream.

a reply to: tadaman

You saying stuff like this made me think. I recall there being experiments attempting to send information via photos through time. If you combine that with this that means you would be able to have a viewing window between the future and past.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

From what I understand,
Time is relative to space and the mass within that space.

We experience the passage of time because we are on earth, in our solar system, in our galaxy. All that matter and subsequent gravity has an impact on our perception of time and it passing.

Quantum theory says that once a particle fluctuates into a quantum state that it escapes our side of the universe that we occupy. Space and time is on our side. Thats why a particle can be in two places at once. In a quantum state there is no space to traverse and no forces of gravity and time dilation.

If we ever discover the means to transform matter into a quantum state we would have no limit on it as far as when it emerged or where back onto our side.

We could essentially send a collection of matter (us, a ship, what ever) and have it go into a quantum level of existence. It could emerge from that state anywhere in the universe and at any time. Time is relative to space and matter remember.

The laws of the macro universe are somewhat understood. The micro universe is a completely different beast altogether though. There is no theory of relativity on a quantum level. The observer has more power over energy and matter than a sun (or all of them) on that level.

Its fun to think about this stuff.

EDIT TO ADD:
Harte, there was no reflection back. Manipulating a stream of photons with right angles still sends them along a path beyond the emitter to which they never return.
edit on 9 2 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join