It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Spooky'' Quantum Entanglement Reveals Invisible Objects

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Exciting new find from the world of science, this could offer so many explanations for much of the 'hidden world' experiences that are becoming more and more known.

The fact that science is researching and making vast ground in areas some deny even the existence of, is such a step forward in holistic evolution. Consciousness is real.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

"Spooky" Quantum Entanglement Reveals Invisible Objects

In a physics first, a quantum camera captures images with two-colored light that never "saw" the object.

Like twins separated at birth who are later reunited, two laser beams revealed invisible objects in a display of their weird quantum connection, researchers reported on Wednesday.

The images, of tiny cats and a trident, are an advance for quantum optics, an emerging physics discipline built on surprising interactions among subatomic particles that Einstein famously called "spooky." (Related: "Teleportation: Behind the Science of Quantum Computing.")

A conventional camera captures light that bounces back from an object. But in the experiment reported in the journal Nature, light particles, or photons, that never strike an object are the ones that produce its picture.

"Even other physicists say 'you can't do that' at first, but that is quantum behavior for you, very strange," says Gabriela Barreto Lemos of the Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information in Vienna, Austria, who led the study.

A 2009 University of Glasgow experiment with a divided laser beam first demonstrated such "ghost imaging." But experts say the new technique, which uses two laser beams of different colors, offers new visualization advantages.

The two laser beams are "entangled" in quantum physics terms, meaning their photons share characteristics even when far apart. So broadly speaking, altering one alters the other.

"What they've done is a very clever trick. In some ways it is magical," says quantum optics expert Paul Lett of the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, Maryland, who was not part of the experiment team. "There is not new physics here, though, but a neat demonstration of physics."

Optics Goes Quantum

The new imaging technique may allow for improved medical imaging or silicon chip lithography in hard-to-see situations, the team suggests.

In medicine, for instance, doctors might probe tissues using invisible wavelengths of light that won't damage cells, while simultaneously using entangled visible light beams to create clear images of the tissues.

"The two-color advantage is a cool idea," Lett says. "It happens a lot in imaging that the best wavelength of light for a probe is not the one that makes for the best picture. You can imagine tuning light colors like this to get the best advantages of both."

In particular, the experiment's approach could create images in visible light of objects that normally can be seen only under infrared light, says quantum optics expert Miles Padgett of Scotland's University of Glasgow, who headed the 2009 "ghost imaging" experiment.

Ironically, the idea of entanglement owes something to Einstein, who in 1935 criticized it as an unlikely (in his view) mathematical shortcoming of quantum physics, which treats subatomic particles as both point-like and as waves.

Manipulating these wavy particles, quantum physics predicted, would alter other seemingly unconnected particles far away. Einstein called this interference (in translation), "spooky action at a distance," which he saw as unlikely. But it turns out to work.

In the new experiment, the physicists entangled photons in two separate laser beams with different wavelengths, and hence color: one yellow and one red. (Watch: "None of the Above: Fun With Laser Beams.")

The team passed the red light beam through etched stencils and into cutouts of tiny cats and a trident, about 0.12 inches (3 millimeters) tall. The yellow beam traveled on a separate line, never hitting the objects. What's more, the etched shapes were designed to be invisible to yellow light.

The cat shape is a nod to physicist Erwin Schrödinger, who invented the famous "Schrödinger's cat" paradox, a thought experiment in which a notional cat is simultaneously dead and alive. Subatomic particles do seem to behave in this peculiar way sometimes, occupying many places at once.

After the red light passed by the objects, the physicists ran it together with the yellow laser beam at both parallel and right angles.

The red light was then discarded, and the yellow light headed for a camera. There, that yellow light revealed a picture of the object. And a negative of the picture emerged from the light that had interfered at a right angle.

"The phenomena really arises from the interference of the photons together," Lemos says. "It's not that the red photons have changed the yellow ones, it's that quantum mechanics says they have to share [wavelength] phases which we can detect to see a picture."

Although the experiment team has applied for a patent, Lemos acknowledges that practical applications may take awhile.

"This is a long-standing, really neat experimental idea," says Lett. "Now we have to see whether or not it will lead to something practical, or will remain just a clever demonstration of quantum mechanics."

These cat outline etchings are normally invisible to the wavelength of light that made the pictures.

These cat cutout pictures were created from light particles that never saw the shape.
edit on 30-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Dear Illusion,

I do not recall signing a non disclosure agreement.

Sincerely,

The Observer.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

very cool...i wish i was smarter....what i am gathering is that what i see happen is only part of what actually happens....as my brain is limited to what i know..(at least what i think i know)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
What a cool experiment - thank you so much for posting (and including the pics!)

Now, I've only had one sip of my morning coffee, so please forgive me... but how is this (in your view) connected to verifying the reality of consciousness? I can't quite make that connection, but I'd like to.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
What a cool experiment - thank you so much for posting (and including the pics!)

Now, I've only had one sip of my morning coffee, so please forgive me... but how is this (in your view) connected to verifying the reality of consciousness? I can't quite make that connection, but I'd like to.

Creepy street mimes are for real.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

originally posted by: VegHead

Creepy street mimes are for real.

Not if I don't look a them.

(Maybe that only applies to "Schrödinger's Mimes")
edit on 30-8-2014 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

My experience of 'consciousness' recently is something of the perception of 4D dimensional experiences, I wrote a bit about it here.

These 'experiences' are ultra real, like seeing into a 4th dimension though IMO are a projection of consciousness into the greater reality, the more absolute dimensions.

This new Quantum Optic research shows that images can be created from not directly viewing, from entangled particles.

The tie in is that perhaps consciousness is a projection that access such mechanisms on a greater or lesser scale, like a laser focusing on a point in time or space that accesses entangled particle information or the utilisation of a 'device' that enables via quantum entanglement, a 'window' into greater realities, where the consciousness observes universal truths etched into the fabric of space time.

The use of light is essential, the 4D dimensional experiences I have experienced were lights in space. It happened again recently, whilst at my laptop, I closed my eyes, 4 times in a row and each time clear as day there was a triangle made of points of light, with a light dot to the middle right of the isosceles triangle that moved into the triangle then disappeared. After 4 times it didn't happen. I tried this again last night and nothing, just normal eyes closed.

IMO this is some sort of accessing some Universal realm where the previously invisible becomes visible via transference of energy, light is energy, perhaps via my electrical aura or some other means. Like a projector with a filter that enables entanglement. Something like that. There are more possibilities in the 4th dimension.

www.rug.nl...

en.wikipedia.org...

The geometry of 4-dimensional space is much more complex than that of 3-dimensional space, due to the extra degree of freedom.

Just as in 3 dimensions there are polyhedra made of two dimensional polygons, in 4 dimensions there are polychora (4-polytopes) made of polyhedra. In 3 dimensions there are 5 regular polyhedra known as the Platonic solids. In 4 dimensions there are 6 convex regular polychora, the analogues of the Platonic solids. Relaxing the conditions for regularity generates a further 58 convex uniform polychora, analogous to the 13 semi-regular Archimedean solids in three dimensions.

A useful application of dimensional analogy in visualizing the fourth dimension is in projection. A projection is a way for representing an n-dimensional object in n − 1 dimensions. For instance, computer screens are two-dimensional, and all the photographs of three-dimensional people, places and things are represented in two dimensions by projecting the objects onto a flat surface. When this is done, depth is removed and replaced with indirect information. The retina of the eye is also a two-dimensional array of receptors but the brain is able to perceive the nature of three-dimensional objects by inference from indirect information (such as shading, foreshortening, binocular vision, etc.). Artists often use perspective to give an illusion of three-dimensional depth to two-dimensional pictures.

Similarly, objects in the fourth dimension can be mathematically projected to the familiar 3 dimensions, where they can be more conveniently examined. In this case, the 'retina' of the four-dimensional eye is a three-dimensional array of receptors. A hypothetical being with such an eye would perceive the nature of four-dimensional objects by inferring four-dimensional depth from indirect information in the three-dimensional images in its retina.

The perspective projection of three-dimensional objects into the retina of the eye introduces artifacts such as foreshortening, which the brain interprets as depth in the third dimension. In the same way, perspective projection from four dimensions produces similar foreshortening effects. By applying dimensional analogy, one may infer four-dimensional "depth" from these effects.

As an illustration of this principle, the following sequence of images compares various views of the 3-dimensional cube with analogous projections of the 4-dimensional tesseract into three-dimensional space.

embracingthecontradiction.org...

Are our thoughts made of the distributed kind of electromagnetic field that permeates space and carries the broadcast signal to the TV or radio?

Professor Johnjoe McFadden from the School of Biomedical and Life Sciences at the University of Surrey in the UK believes our conscious mind could be an electromagnetic field.

“The theory solves many previously intractable problems of consciousness and could have profound implications for our concepts of mind, free will, spirituality, the design of artificial intelligence, and even life and death,” he said.

Most people consider "mind" to be all the conscious things that we are aware of. But much, if not most, mental activity goes on without awareness. Actions such as walking, changing gear in your car or peddling a bicycle can become as automatic as breathing.

The biggest puzzle in neuroscience is how the brain activity that we're aware of (consciousness) differs from the brain activity driving all of those unconscious actions.

When we see an object, signals from our retina travel along nerves as waves of electrically charged ions. When they reach the nerve terminus, the signal jumps to the next nerve via chemical neurotransmitters. The receiving nerve decides whether or not it will fire, based on the number of firing votes it receives from its upstream nerves.

In this way, electrical signals are processed in our brain before being transmitted to our body. But where, in all this movement of ions and chemicals, is consciousness? Scientists can find no region or structure in the brain that specializes in conscious thinking. Consciousness remains a mystery.

“Consciousness is what makes us 'human,' Professor McFadden said. “Language, creativity, emotions, spirituality, logical deduction, mental arithmetic, our sense of fairness, truth, ethics, are all inconceivable without consciousness.” But what’s it made of?

One of the fundamental questions of consciousness, known as the binding problem, can be explained by looking at a tree. Most people, when asked how many leaves they see, will answer "thousands." But neurobiology tells us that the information (all the leaves) is dissected and scattered among millions of widely separated neurones.

Scientists are trying to explain where in the brain all those leaves are stuck together to form the conscious impression of a whole tree. How does our brain bind information to generate consciousness?

What Professor McFadden realized was that every time a nerve fires, the electrical activity sends a signal to the brain's electromagnetic (em) field. But unlike solitary nerve signals, information that reaches the brain's em field is automatically bound together with all the other signals in the brain. The brain's em field does the binding that is characteristic of consciousness.

What Professor McFadden and, independently, the New Zealand-based neurobiologist Sue Pockett, have proposed is that the brain's em field is consciousness.

edit on 30-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

I nominate you to try a Schrodinger mime, then we might know for sure, but no cat impersonations please.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Hmmm, I think because we are the red laser and the yellow laser is our actual being in another plane, reality. We're a projection basically.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ArcAngel

Perhaps.

There is always so much synchronicity, it could be projection based somehow.

After mentioning my recent 4D experience of a triangle with a point moving from the outer right to the inside middle of the triangle, a few minutes ago there were 3 army helicopters flying high over my house, creating a 'triangle' then 2 more helicopter appeared from above the roof flying behind them and looking like the 4D image, the points entering the triangle. It wasn't exactly the same as the 4D but a synchronicity none the less.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I'll have to spend lots of time with this to wrap my head around it and to make a mental map of the data and the new use of technology. Will follow this thread with interest, thanks for putting it up and explaining the data to us.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
It's a quantum pantograph!
Quantum Laser Pantography.
QLP
Is that enough lines?

Neat tech!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Wow, this is cool. What are the implications?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

This is a step forwards for medical science, other science in industry applications and importantly IMO a step towards understanding more metaphysical concepts and holistic evolution of humanity, perhaps also a major leap for Quantum Physics and the comprehension of dimensional realities.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

In my limited knowledge of Q and what this entanglement experiment proves, I will say it shows there is an opposite for everything. A true yin/yang evil/good twin. I will wager to say that this proves in my mind there is no "heaven" nor "hell" per se, but a reality beyond death which includes both simultaneously.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It's nice to finally see this demonstrated as undeniable proof of it happening.

To think... before the big bang, everything may have been entangled to a degree. With our finest crystals, about one in a million units get "entangled" as they pass through it. Just imagine the conditions that could have existed during the big bang.

When people get frustrated by others who use quantum mechanics as inspiration for there being a yet-to-be explained unification between "science, spirituality, and "spookiness", I just chuckle. That is because someday it will.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Remote viewing.

The second images remind me of drawings/descriptions gathered from remote viewers. So, there's that.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Headshot

It does. You have also given me a good idea. Remote viewing is such an interesting area of research. I made an ATS remote viewing experiment thread here

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

The team passed the red light beam through etched stencils and into cutouts of tiny cats and a trident, about 0.12 inches (3 millimeters) tall. The yellow beam traveled on a separate line, never hitting the objects. What's more, the etched shapes were designed to be invisible to yellow light.

WHY? yellow was already travelling on a separate line.. ?!

After the red light passed by the objects, the physicists ran it together with the yellow laser beam at both parallel and right angles. The red light was then discarded, and the yellow light headed for a camera. There, that yellow light revealed a picture of the object. And a negative of the picture emerged from the light that had interfered at a right angle.

how is this "...Reveals Invisible Objects"
the red saw it or not ??

NICE PHYSICS! COOL!
edit on 30-8-2014 by KrzYma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

well that is pretty awesome.

SO what if sending out a beam of light into space while keeping its counterpart here on earth.

You could essentially scan the universe without leaving home.

Next.

Imagine traveling at light speed within a beam of light....as another photon. Every trip would leave a YOU on the launch site as well as in transit.

Then.

If light can have parallels and if photons can operate on quantum levels in ways we cant observe yet but could possibly transform into other forms that we can interact with better, then maybe one day manipulating light will allow us to manipulate space and matter through its parallels and the parallels of those parallels through yet other forms of light beyond just photons or alternating quantum states of photons.

This is cool. Nice thread.

edit on 8 30 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join