It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. raises terror threat level to 'severe'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to: Briles1207

Actually yes, Scotland's separation vote is in September

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: cheebie23

Not that this has anything to do with it, nor I would imagine is anyone even thinking about the threat level in any great detail, much less allowing it to influence their vote. I'd like to think the electorate all over the UK is slightly more sophisticated than that, we don't do the whole "being scared" thing, we've seen far worse and no one I know is even giving this a second thought.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason
I respect your opinion however It is my opinion that, yes allowing for the big meeting in London soon, there is still a good argument for believing this nothing more than a stunt by projection FEAR, the were all in it together campaign that has now emerged fits nicely with this threat level being raised.
As for not "being scared" thing, I would point to the tactics used for the war in Iraq .

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: crostkev
I respect your opinion however It is my opinion that, yes allowing for the big meeting in London soon,

What "big meeting in London" is this you're referring too?

there is still a good argument for believing this nothing more than a stunt by projection FEAR, the were all in it together campaign that has now emerged fits nicely with this threat level being raised.

No, there isn't a "good argument" in the slightest. In fact, no argument whatsoever has actually been made.

If you knew anything about the British people, you'd know we don't worry ourselves over terrorists, for example, the day after the 7th July bombings in 2005, Londoners were queuing up for buses and boarding the Tube like normal, or take the attacks in Scotland where the perp's were taken down by bystanders.

We've lived under various threats to our way of life for close to a century now and a few bloody minded zealots is not anything to be concerned about.

As for not "being scared" thing, I would point to the tactics used for the war in Iraq .

Go on then... Do show us exactly how the British people were hoodwinked into invading Iraq. I think you'll actually find the vast majority were against the war - an unprecedented 2 million marched in London against it, far more than any protest against anything else.

I think you'll find those "tactics" only really worked against the MP's and even then, most didn't buy it and it passed solely because the Labour and Tory whips made sure of it - it was a political decision made prior to the vote in Parliament and not one based on fear or the use of "tactics".

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Briles1207

Congratulations, you have hit the nail right on the head, Thank You.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

You have encapsulated every last detail of note in this response.

Bravo! It really does take more than threat of death or dismemberment by explosions to put the majority of the British citizenry off the idea of going about their daily business.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Martial law!!

What a load of crock.

The threat level is changed quite a lot, for most of 2006 and 2010 it was raised to "Severe" and at times has even been higher with zero sign of Martial Law on the streets.

The last time i can recall anything close to martial law was way back in 2003 when they had to deploy troops and tanks with a Nimrod overhead at Heathrow following intelligence that terrorists were about to shoot down a commercial airliner.

Wouldn't be too quick to call it a load of crock just yet. The UK seems to piggyback and do on a smaller scale what is implemented in the US.

No surprise the UK is having a lot of unemployment problems; includes but is not limited to so many people on the dole (or being forced to) and having to work essentially for free for people like TESCO (i think I got that right). No surprise the UK is having a ton of immigration issues that is killing the economy. And no surprise people over there are fed up with it all.

From what I can see on ATS and other sites whenever a news article erupts about more eroding of the people's rights over there, it seems things are coming to a head as more and more suffer in their austerity as more and more Parties allow Thatcherism to take root and control, like the pesky immigration issues over there.

People are tired and fed up and for all we know one step closer to revolting over there. Then there is the Scotland movement to secede after finding a hotbed of oil and be its own country and we know Ireland will definitely follow suit due to the bad blood with England.

And last time I checked the closest England was to marshall law was london when that black kid got killed and the riots started.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason Okay my friend so as I've heard you have smash my arguments down to smithereens
Lets take this slowly, for a start I now Know you haven't bothered to read all the comments on this thread
What meeting in London you ask?
tip.. look for (moderator in the name)
take your time, we will go through this slowly my friend.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: crostkev

FYI - I have read the entire thread, but it seems I may have missed the bit about this meeting. Now, I am going to go through each post again, but you could have simply stopped playing silly buggers and told me what it was you were on about.

Give me 10 minutes...

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
10 minuets it is friend
there some good reading in there.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer
Wouldn't be too quick to call it a load of crock just yet. The UK seems to piggyback and do on a smaller scale what is implemented in the US.

How so?

No surprise the UK is having a lot of unemployment problems; includes but is not limited to so many people on the dole (or being forced to) and having to work essentially for free for people like TESCO (i think I got that right). No surprise the UK is having a ton of immigration issues that is killing the economy. And no surprise people over there are fed up with it all.

You need to get with the times - what you said is so 2012 - employment is falling faster and the economy is growing faster than any other Western economy, including the US. The naysayers said the economic plan of the Tories wouldn't work,that it would lead to another recession and mass unemployment but now that is obviously not true, they have changed tacked and instead focus on the "cost of living" instead.

On immigration though, you do have a point.

From what I can see on ATS and other sites whenever a news article erupts about more eroding of the people's rights over there, it seems things are coming to a head as more and more suffer in their austerity as more and more Parties allow Thatcherism to take root and control, like the pesky immigration issues over there.

The UK's "austerity" plan has actually been shown to have worked - despite claims from all corners, including the IMF and World Bank it wouldn't.

Not sure what you're on about with "eroding people's rights" though.

People are tired and fed up and for all we know one step closer to revolting over there.

Not even remotely close to "revolting", that is just hyperbole from the looney left here on ATS and not actually grounded in any fact whatsoever.

Then there is the Scotland movement to secede after finding a hotbed of oil

That isn't the reason for the vote - it's been the SNP's mantra for decades and they finally got a majority in the Scottish Parliament to have a pop at the referendum. That said, it seems likely to fail with the vote likely to be around a 60/40 split, at best, more likely to be 70/30.

and be its own country and we know Ireland will definitely follow suit due to the bad blood with England.

Ireland? WTF? And what are you on about with "England"? The Scottish vote isn't about independence from England - it's about independence from the UK - something entirely different.

And last time I checked the closest England was to marshall law was london when that black kid got killed and the riots started.

Oh jeebus..... Again, not even remotely close to "martial law" (not "marshall".......
) You'd think the way some go on about those riots that it was all over the country and millions were out. In fact, it was highly localised with most of the country looking on confused and in disgust at the small minority who took advantage of some gangster getting his dues to throw a fit and steal some TV's..

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I had guessed when I first asked what you were on about, but I wanted to string out some rope for you at first. I'll do it again (now I have re-read the thread)

What meeting in London?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

How so?

You need to get with the times - what you said is so 2012 - employment is falling faster and the economy is growing faster than any other Western economy, including the US. The naysayers said the economic plan of the Tories wouldn't work,that it would lead to another recession and mass unemployment but now that is obviously not true, they have changed tacked and instead focus on the "cost of living" instead.

On immigration though, you do have a point.

The UK's "austerity" plan has actually been shown to have worked - despite claims from all corners, including the IMF and World Bank it wouldn't.

Not sure what you're on about with "eroding people's rights" though.

People are tired and fed up and for all we know one step closer to revolting over there.

Not even remotely close to "revolting", that is just hyperbole from the looney left here on ATS and not actually grounded in any fact whatsoever.

Then there is the Scotland movement to secede after finding a hotbed of oil

That isn't the reason for the vote - it's been the SNP's mantra for decades and they finally got a majority in the Scottish Parliament to have a pop at the referendum. That said, it seems likely to fail with the vote likely to be around a 60/40 split, at best, more likely to be 70/30.

and be its own country and we know Ireland will definitely follow suit due to the bad blood with England.

Ireland? WTF? And what are you on about with "England"? The Scottish vote isn't about independence from England - it's about independence from the UK - something entirely different.

Oh jeebus..... Again, not even remotely close to "martial law" (not "marshall".......
) You'd think the way some go on about those riots that it was all over the country and millions were out. In fact, it was highly localised with most of the country looking on confused and in disgust at the small minority who took advantage of some gangster getting his dues to throw a fit and steal some TV's..

Well well you certainly tried to give him a spanking
But seriously talking Brit to Brit (for now anyway) 70 / 30 vote for no
No I'm not going to bite but it was rather funny.
Oh that's ten minuets, let me know when to get back to your comment friend

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Well well you certainly tried to give him a spanking

Whatever you think, I am certainly managing to convey my point a damn site better than you, with your smarmy posts with no substance.

But seriously talking Brit to Brit (for now anyway) 70 / 30 vote for no
No I'm not going to bite but it was rather funny.

No, you won;t bite, because you know the polls have been pretty consistent - the latest one after Slamonds "victory" in the debate the other day, still doesn't have the Yes vote pushing much past 40%. It would honestly take a miracle for Salmond to rescue his pipe dream, but you never know.

Oh that's ten minuets, let me know when to get back to your comment friend

Done - waiting for you to reply - see above.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

I had guessed when I first asked what you were on about, but I wanted to string out some rope for you at first. I'll do it again (now I have re-read the thread)

What meeting in London?

Course you did my friend, but once again, thou shall not bite

I loved the way you used this word The public needs to know the truth about wars. So why have journalists colluded with governments to hoodwink us?

Take your time. have a look, nice and slow, and I'm sure we will muddle through friend.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Ok, I can see you're just doing some merry dance of idiocy...

First of all, what has that article got to do with the price of Fish in Grimsby on Wednesday's? Nothing. It has sod all to do with the question I asked

As for "I loved the way you used this word" - what word? Are you pissed? I know it's Friday night/Saturday morning, but c'mon...

Anyhoo, back to the point in hand - What meeting in London? Are you referring to the NATO summit?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
what do you think the, in it together camp, have been doing, project "puppy's and daffodils"
what about this my friend

Better Together have come under fire for exaggerating the narrative of Scottish nationalism and support for independence in general. Several of the campaign's members have described supporters of independence as "anti-English" [41] while others in the campaign have claimed their opponents have a limited outlook on identity and culture. During the 2012 Olympics in London, Better Together were criticised for attempting to use the games as political propaganda, in particular the participation of Scottish athletes in Team GB which was taken to imply that supporters of independence weren't interested in the Olympics.[42] In November 2012 Alistair Darling suggested Scottish independence would threaten the continuation of British culture in Scotland.[43] This is despite the fact that although Scotland would no longer be part of the UK it would still be part of the island of Great Britain whose adjective is also 'British'. National Collective swiftly rebutted Alistair Darling's comments pointing out that it was entirely for individuals to determine their own identity and not politicians.[44] In September 2013 during a Labour Party Conference, the party's Scottish Leader Johann Lamont controversially described support for independence as "a virus."[45] Co-convenor of the Scottish Greens and Advisory Board Member of Yes Scotland, Patrick Harvie has challenged the notion that supporters of independence are all nationalists, stating "National identity is not at the heart of my politics. In fact, it’s not really relevant to my politics at all. People can reach a view in favour of independence without being motivated by Scottish nationalism, just as people can reach a view in favour of staying in the UK without being driven by the identity politics of “Britishness"

edit on 29-8-2014 by crostkev because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Anyway.........

There is many a thread on the Scottish independence vote for you to partake in, I am not going to drag this thread off course by debating you posting (unsourced - naughty naughty, you have to link your external sources and tag it correctly) Wiki pages. I only reference the Scottish vote to correct the above poster on his assumption they are doing due to "recently discovered Oil"...

So, moving on... Care to answer the question, or have you realised the error you've made?

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason hoodwink

Nice word, as for the article it was just one of many examples of the facts, and your words are like a house of cards with a cow farting from afar
if we are going to start being rude to each other friend

edit on 29-8-2014 by crostkev because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Yeah, you're pissed aren't you? You're not making much sense, are avoiding questions despite making claims I hadn;t read the thread and when I come back with a reply, you ignore it and ramble on about other topics.

Can you not see where the confusion has come from? You reply to one post and then refer to another, hence why I had no clue what you were on about when you said "nice word" - hoodwinked - that was from several posts prior and not the one you were replying to.

As for that article, I saw it the first time round 4 years ago and will say the same now as I did then - obvious left wing drivel spouted by someone who assumes he is so damned clever that he has noticed something others haven't. He is stating the obvious and nothing he says in that article is particularly ground breaking or news worthy. Anyone with half a brain knows that Government's use the media to try and influence public opinion on everything, not just War.

Back to the point in hand - what meeting in London? C;mon, answer the question. After all, you were so smug and self assured about it, you said :

Lets take this slowly, for a start I now Know you haven't bothered to read all the comments on this thread
What meeting in London you ask?
tip.. look for (moderator in the name)
take your time, we will go through this slowly my friend.

And you wonder why I have taken an aggravated tone with you, when you post in the manner above.

Care to answer the question? Or simply prevaricate and distract with off topic nonsense?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join