It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Questions For Those Who Believe That Evolution Is The Answer For Everything

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: danielsil18
a reply to: WarminIndy

Atheism is not a world view, Atheism is just the disbelief of gods, period.

You can have atheists who are for communism and those against it. Just like you can have blondes who are for communism and against it.

Theism just deals with the belief in god

Theist - belief in god

Atheist - disbelief in god

Period.

It doesn't matter how much you try to get around the definition, atheism is still a worldview in the meaning and definition and it has nothing to do with belief in God.

You have an individual worldview that has common, shared views within the broader atheistic worldview. Hence, the definition of atheist is "one who has a lack of belief", that's the individual worldview as well as the broader worldview of atheism, "lack of belief in God". What is different in that? The individual has the same meaning as the group meaning.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

It doesn't matter how much you try to make it seem as a worldview, atheism is not a worldview because it only deals with a belief.

By your own erroneous logic I can say that the disbelief in Santa Claus is a worldview.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

It doesn't matter how much you try to make it seem as a worldview, atheism is not a worldview because it only deals with a belief.

By your own erroneous logic I can say that the disbelief in Santa Claus is a worldview.

Yes, exactly. The disbelief in Santa is a worldview.

Please, go get a psychology book so you can study about worldviews. From same article..

In the largest sense, a worldview is the interpretive lens one uses to understandreality and ones existence within it (M. E.Miller & West, 1993).

Do you not interpret the world around you through the lens of your own understanding?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

And, from this guy

Atheism is a positive worldview because…
…it gives a deeper appreciation for and sense of spirituality toward the cosmos.

That guy is an atheist who claims it is a worldview and then proposes spirituality? What's up with that?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

world·view
1. The overall perspective from which one sees and interprets the world.
2. A collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group

Every single disbelief is not a worldview.

The disbelief in the magical green rock is not a worldview. Disbelief in Spider-Man is not a worldview. Disbelief in Unicorns is not a world view.

Every single disbelief is not a Worldview
edit on 2-9-2014 by danielsil18 because: Typo

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

That guy is an atheist who claims it is a worldview and then proposes spirituality? What's up with that?

That's exactly my point. Every atheist is different.

The only thing we have in common is the disbelief in gods, that's it, period.

That atheist proposes spirituality and I don't. Atheism doesn't give us the same worldview.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

world·view
2. A collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group

The disbelief is the magical green rock is not a worldview. Disbelief is Spider-Man is not a worldview. Disbelief in Unicorns is not a world view.

Every part of a particular way of thinking is a worldview. It has nothing to do with belief in God.

"I don't believe in unicorns" is a worldview because you have interpreted the world around you. YOU interpret YOUR world and have concluded that you do not believe in unicorns. So therefore, unicorns don't exist in your world. It has nothing to do with with whether or not unicorns, teapots, dragons or Spiderman actually exist, it's just your world and the way you interpret it.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

That's exactly my point. Every atheist is different.

The only thing we have in common is the disbelief in gods, that's it, period.

That atheist proposes spirituality and I don't. Atheism doesn't give us the same worldview.

What are the definitions of atheism and atheist?

Atheism is a worldview of lack of belief in God, atheist is one who practices that. It is a worldview in the definition and meaning. To say it is not means that you can't disseminate the idea of worldview from a religious connotation, when religion isn't included in the definition.

There is no religious statement in the definition of worldview, therefore it is not a religious thought system. YOU have a thought system that your life is expressed by.

What kind of music? What kind of movies? What brands of clothing? Pepsi or Coke? Parts and expressions of a worldview.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What an interesting thread. Can I play . Using the creationist workshop manual (the bible). God created the earth and the first humans, Adam and Eve and they had two sons which one killed the other(this is what creationist purport to be fact) that left Adam, Eve and Cain. Yet if the whole human race is descended from them then that means that they committed incest!!! But they didn't did they, because Cain went on to marry someone else. Where did they come from. In my opinion that's strike one. Now jump forward to the great flood. According to the book the only survivors were Noah and his close family. The same statement arises. All humans on earth are descendants of Noah and his sons and that in itself is no where near a big enough gene pool to produce to-days diverse population. I think I will call that strike two Your out. The reason that humans do not mutate quickly to threatening scenarios (ie become immune to snake venom quickly) is down to the length of lifespan of humans. That is the main reason that science, when looking at mutations use such species as fruit flies because of their extremely short lifespan. The same goes for head lice and bacteria. Also not only humans use selective breeding. As an easy example wild female lions select the male that they want to breed with. I am no scientist but just a human with a bit of reasoning.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Every part of a particular way of thinking is a worldview. It has nothing to do with belief in God.

You are making a mistake.

Every belief is just a small part of ones worldview, putting together all the beliefs someone has makes up his worldview.

It's like having a puzzle/worldview with many pieces/beliefs. The whole puzzle/worldview is made up of small pieces/beliefs. What you are doing is picking up one piece and calling it a worldview, then picking up another and calling it another worldview.

A worldview is a collection of beliefs. Not just one.
edit on 2-9-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Atheism is a worldview of lack of belief in God

It's not a worldview as I've already shown you. One atheist proposes spiritually and I don't.

That atheist's worldview is not the same as mine. Mine is very different because I don't include any spirituality in my worldview.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

You are making a mistake.

Every belief is just a small part of ones worldview, putting all the beliefs someone has makes up his worldview.

It's like having a puzzle/worldview with many pieces/beliefs. The whole puzzle/worldview is made up of small pieces/beliefs. What you are doing is picking up one piece and calling it a worldview, then picking up another and calling it another worldview.

A worldview is a collection of beliefs. Not just one.

Do you believe that unicorns do not exist?

Do you have LACK of belief or lack of BELIEF? I know, too philosophical this late in the afternoon.

But still, do you believe unicorns do not exist?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

It's not a worldview as I've already shown you. One atheist proposes spiritually and I don't.

That atheist's worldview is not the same as mine. Mine is very different because I don't include any spirituality in my worldview.

how are we defining spirituality in this context?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I would assume spirituality is not naturality. How would you define it, according to the dictionary?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

A lack of belief isn't an agnostic belief. Agnosticism is the belief that you don't know the answers to any question and you don't have any way of knowing definitively so you either say "I don't know" or give credence to the idea with the most evidence supporting it while still understanding that that may not be correct either.

A lack of belief is atheism.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Spirituality has so much baggage that I don't even want to try to define it. I just know that I don't include any spirituality in my worldview.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
So WarminIndy's worldview is that all beliefs are worldviews.....

So
believing in Santa: worldview
not believing in Santa: worldview
believing in leprechauns: worldview
not believing in leprechauns: worldview

etc etc

Meaning we all have thousands upon thousands of worldviews leaving them all (along with the word) utterly useless.....

I've not laughed so hard at a post here on ATS perhaps ever! my face hurts lol

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I would assume spirituality is not naturality. How would you define it, according to the dictionary?

what does the dictionary say?

an animating or vital principle held to give life to physical organisms

thats the definition for spirit, the heart of spirituality. do you not believe in souls?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I think that saying that I believe that unicorns don't exist would be illogical.

I'll just say that I won't believe in unicorns until I see one.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

world·view

The disbelief in the magical green rock is not a worldview. Disbelief in Spider-Man is not a worldview. Disbelief in Unicorns is not a world view.

What is disbelief? Is it a choice? If it is a choice then it is part of a worldview, because you have interpreted your world.

Definition

dis·be·lief
ˌdisbəˈlēf/Submit
noun
inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real.
"Laura shook her head in disbelief"
synonyms: incredulity, astonishment, amazement, surprise, incredulousness; More
lack of faith in something.

Something has to be real or true for you to choose not to believe in it. Disbelief is an action verb, not passive. Therefore you can't use disbelief as the argument, because the definition itself concludes that something is real enough to believe in, yet disbelief is the action of refusing to believe or accept.

It gets kind of tricky.

Lack of faith in something, disbelief is the active form of choosing to not believe in something real or true. But please, go find another dictionary and give us the definition of disbelief.

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join