It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My wife who was born in Russia but lived in the US for 12 years took me to a Russian food store today.
We bought some little wienies, cookies, dried fish, smoked herring, smoked sausage,hard salami, pickled tomatoes,pickled mushrooms and some cheap German bologna. except for the smoked herring which was smoked here in the US, everything could be bought in a store if you were in Russia.

What the hell America?! Why does our processed food taste like crap? everything i tried today was amazing and i actually cried when i tasted the German bologna. yes,it was that good
I have eaten Russian food made with ingredients bought here and it was great but, now, im ready for the real thing actualfood with their ingredients (im crossing my fingers that it happens soon)

Ideas, i need them. What else from other countries should i try?

edit on 8/28/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: edited for clarity

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

American food here in the UK is like plastic food. There are some in supermarkets but mostly best avoided due to too many additives.

We eat pretty clean, natural foods and when you do that for years, your taste buds become as they are meant to and over processed food literally tastes like plastic.

Processed food containing lots of additives tastes worse, is often unhealthy and more than likely more expensive.

There are such beautiful natural flavours in the world that people should appreciate more, like good flour, tomatoes, lemons, carrots, herbs.

I would rather eat a good tomato sandwich than something processed, homemade carrot soup, and chicken in homemade lemon sauce (lemon zest, juice, arrowroot, sugar, water) with steamed rice than an over processed packet sauce that tastes like bleh.

Appreciate nature people, it's tasty!

There are lots of things you should try from round the world. Here are some simple though tasty dishes, some you might have tried already though are always favourites, naturally flavoursome.

Swedish style pickled herring
Arbroath smokies
Potato scones
Chicken Korma (well spiced and authentic version)
Naan bread from a tandoor
Thai chicken curry
Squid in salt and pepper
Yorkshire pudding
Crumpets
Sherry trifle
Zabaglione

edit on 28-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Define what you mean by our food tasting like crap.

However, if you are talking ethnic cuisine, I like Ethiopian, Japanese (not just Sushi), real Chinese (not Americanized), authentic Mexican (not Tex-Mex although that has it's charms too if you get the good stuff), and for American regional look for really good BBQ (places where a competitive pit master has set up his own joint and understands the real alchemy of rub, smoke, sauce, etc., then realize you can try regional differences in BBQ between Carolina Coastal, Kansas City, Texas, and I think Memphis), Louisiana Cajun/Creole and possibly Soul Food.

Also, never be afraid to try regional specialties when you go somewhere. You may just surprise yourself by finding something you didn't realize would be good.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I eat fresh food whenever possible, what surprised me is the vast difference in taste of other country's processed food

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

American processed food.
It's garbage

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Probably because it is artisan and made using natural preservatives like salt and natural spices rather than factory made and artificial additive laden.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
There's plenty of good American food. Ever shoot your own deer or turkey or catch your own fish? Cook it up with veggies from your garden? Pick apples and make them into cider?
But as for good food from other countries you might want to try Golabki, a Pasty , Empanadas to name a few.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I edited the OP so we don't have the natural food misunderstanding anymore.
My bad, should've stated that to begin with but i was overcome with food excitement

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Ask her to make some "cold soup" it's pretty easy.

Step one: get a bunch of chicken feet

Step two: boil the chicken feet

Step three: place liquid and feet mix in fridge overnight to solidify

Step four: eat the "chicken jell-o" and suck the bits of meat off the chicken feet and spit out the bones

Or, you could just settle for some Bliny's.

I spent some time in Chisnau, Moldova with a family and they made all kinds of traditional Easten Europe/Russian foods. They were big on salty cheese and fresh produce. Lots of pickled items (like picked carrot salads) -- we didn't have Borscht over there, but we made some state-side with all organic ingredients. Sour cream and dill is a must!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

If it's anything like the cold stinky fish jello that looks like chum...... um, no but i would try it.
Also im now addicted to Kvas

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Step one: get a bunch of chicken feet

Oooh... yum.

Not too many people know this, but chicken feet makes the absolute best and most flavourful chicken stock you'll ever have. Boiling the whole bird/carcass comes no where near to the taste you get from boiling just the chicken feet instead. I kid you not, the flavour is unmatched.

My great-grandmother shared that little "country cooking" secret with me.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
a reply to: ketsuko

American processed food.
It's garbage

Well, on that we can agree. Take some of the old American staples that are processed and make them yourself, and they are decently tasty. Or, look for artisan versions. They're around. Andrew Zimmern spends a lot of time going around to the artisan joints on his show.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
Ideas, i need them. What else from other countries should i try?

You should Czech out some klobasnek.

(See what I did there?
)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

That looks and sounds amazing!
It's going in the "to try" list for sure

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

That's why I don't shop in the center isles of the grocery store, except for condiments and frozen gluten free pizza and waffles, oh and gelato. Recently came down with Celiac Disease and I believe it's from all the processed crap and fast food I was putting in to my body. Now I shop on the edge of the store and at farmers markets and will never ever put fast food in to my mouth unless I absolutely have to. I cook with lots and lots of produce and typically use fresh herbs for seasoning.

Chicken jello!! I'm dying, that sounds awful!!

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
i refuse to eat processed american food because it tastes so damn bad but this foreign stuff... is so good
i don't even want to live in this country anymore because of it

top topics

join