It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I learned something new about Islam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: LittleByLittle

I've also read that Sufis are considered apostates by other sects. I wonder if that's true. It seems to me they are the most peaceful of the bunch.

They are, but their tombs are often desecrated just like Christian burial sites by Islamic jihadis.

There are [url=http://world.time.com/2012/07/02/timbuktus-destruction-why-islamists-are-wrecking-malis-cultural-heritage/[/url] between the sects.

But beyond scolding the Islamists of the Sahel, there’s little anyone can do to stop this wretched bout of iconoclasm. History is littered with the debris of toppled temples and smashed idols. Salafists and others who believe in a more orthodox brand of Islam harbor a particular animosity toward Sufism, whose mystical interpretation of the divine affords a more heterodox faith, steeped sometimes in local pre-Islamic traditions and a reverence for saints and deceased wise men. Islam, as it spread outside the Arabian world, did so in large part through the peaceful teachings of Sufi orders and wandering mendicants — not just under the hooves of conquering Arab armies. Yet, recently, Sufi shrines have come under attack from emboldened and radicalized puritans in countries like Egypt and Libya; in Pakistan, the Taliban and its affiliates have waged a sectarian war on Sufis, systematically targeting dozens of tombs and Sufi sites, while killing hundreds of devotees.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

<< 1   >>

join