It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 years without a 'real' job...who will hire me?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Well since you did mention trade school I would suggest applying to different building trades unions for an apprenticeship.

Actually get paid while you learn a trade.

Not having a drivers license makes it a bit difficult but it can be done.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I mention that trade school is NOT an option, though I'd love to go back to school for a PHD. I have about 100 credits right now but have been blackballed for not paying on student loans so no Pell Grant.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Since you have a sailboat .. what about giving sailing lessons ? theres plenty of people who would pay to learn how to sail ..

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

I'm searching for another boat, I don't have one at the moment hence the need to make some money.

I sold my previous boat, it became more of a liability than an asset.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Best advice is to lie, and I mean that.

I always lie about my education, my experience and criminal record (very minor), and they never check.

Probably not the advice you want but as someone has already said, it's not very often they check.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

You could always try a temp agency. They can help you find a job which could lead to full time employment. If an employer has time to see that you are a perfectly capable, hard working person, perhaps they will be more willing to overlook any past indiscretions. Not only that but a temp agency will also be more aware of the hiring policies of their clients, therefore making them less likely to waste your time on places that won't consider you with the record you currently have.

Having said that, I'm so very sorry for your situation. Unfortunately, more often than not, our society is not one of second chances....even though you deserve that. It really sucks that you're being kicked when you're already down...it makes it a lot harder to get back up. Just remember, it's doable, and there is certainly a light at the end of the tunnel....you just have to keep getting back up and moving forward to find it.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: U4ea82

Don't feel sorry for me. I've had a decent income and was not happy. Money does not buy happiness but I need to get something going for me.

I am about to go surf. Best it has been for a long time.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

No you're right, money doesn't buy happiness. I could have read your first post and thought it was describing me, except for a few details, 20 years ago. Then I put myself through college, got an engineering degree, and now make a buttload of money, and have even more debt to go with it. I was happier when I lived more simply.

Wish I was about to go surf...
edit on 8/28/2014 by wtbengineer because: to add

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Greetings-

www.darpa.gov
www.porac.org

I'll have been retired 10 years on 01Sept.14. I just turned 51

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Have you considered creating your own job? I understand how your circumstances make getting hired conventionally a difficult task. What are you good at? Don't be afraid to ask your network of friends and family for recommendations for work.

I know it's tough out there. But you seem like an intelligent guy, and I presume you are able-bodied. Even with your shortcomings, there is somebody out there that can use a smart, able-bodied guy that they can trust.

And at this point, try not to be too picky. Even if a less than desirable opportunity comes up, take it. You never know the connections and opportunities that can come up once you are out there.

Take a long hard look at yourself and be honest about what you have to offer, and what you could change to make yourself more attractive.

You need foot in the door. There is no shame in using contacts and connections to get in there.

And as you are doing here, ask for help. People genuinely like to help other people out.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Trade your surfboard for a bike. Cut your hair and shave your face, then pedal yourself to the nearest construction site. Ideally you need to find a neighborhood where a bunch of houses are going up. Locate the painters and ask for a job as a prepper.
If that doesn't work, start picking up the scrap pieces of wood and shingles on the lot and throwing them in in the dumpster until the contractor shows up, then beg for a job. Do this every day until someone hires you.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Contact the Florida film commission and work in the movies as a background extra or PA. Become a meat puppet!
It's part time, no questions asked, great community, and chances for advancement abound.

Here ya go.....

www.filminflorida.com...

and read this...
calebclark.org...

good luck!!

edit on 28-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
instead of listing all the things that are holding you back , try listing the things that you can do and are good at and start from there . manual labour does not need diplomas so start there and work up to the kind of work you feel you are suited for . or even place an advert in the local paper offering to clear out peoples untidy back yards etc .
i wish you good luck and hope you find a situation soon .

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
I've been doing my own thing due to legal issues and the urge to liveaboard a sailboat. Needless to say I am broke right now and need to find a job ASAP. I have managed to scrape by doing surf lessons and the occasional odd job and a little Ocean rescue lifeguarding.

Due to said legal issues I do not have a driver's license and need an income to get it re-instated. This disqualifies me from most jobs automatically. I have also been arrested(3 misdemeanors) which excludes me from even more jobs. I have military experience but my DD-214 is a General with Alcohol Rehab failure as the reason.

In other words I have no resume and a bad record. I also have bad social anxiety and come across a socially awkward which again does not help trying to sell myself.

Any advice besides going to a trade school? (not an option because no one in their right mind will give me a student loan, not eligible for a Pell Grant)

If you're surfing you must be in walking distance of tidal water. Borrow some cash or pawn something, buy a cast net, a cooler and an aerator. Go out every day and catch several dozen mullet or whatever kind of schooling bait fish you have down there and then sell them to local marinas/bait stores. I survived for an entire summer this way while on leave on the east coast. I just picked an ocean resort with an inlet to the Chesapeake Bay and went beach bum for a couple of months.

After generating some funds, get your license renewed and all your other personal paperwork in order and take it from there. I just ran a search for fixer upper cars in my area and came back with hits for over 200 vehicles for under a thousand bucks. Likely, you can find similar cheap transportation in your area. Additionally, yards need mowed, pools need dug, Winnebago motor home owners on vacation need their expensive wheels polished--find a camp ground and ask around. If you're an experienced fisherman, borrow or buy some heavy tackle and do some shark fishing from shore. Some fine dining establishments will buy shark meat from fisherman by the pound (make sure you check local fishing regulations).

Ever think about trying to get your discharge upgraded? Link Link Link

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AphoticJoe

Great suggestions. I would only add to make sure you bleed the shark immediately or else it will go bad even on ice and very quickly.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: U4ea82

Don't feel sorry for me. I've had a decent income and was not happy. Money does not buy happiness but I need to get something going for me.

I am about to go surf. Best it has been for a long time.

Do what you know....

I would pay good money for someone to teach me how to surf and sail.

If you know your home water...start a guide and outfitting service for visiting fishermen/sportsmen.
Especially saltwater flyfishing for Bones and specs.

Hire out as crew on a fishing boat or yacht. Work retail in a marine supply store or tackle shop.

Repair/clean up after hurricane/storm damage.

I envy you for all the opportunities is see...

Learn how to sing and play "Margaritaville" and busk on the street.
edit on 28-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Go walk some dogs wash some boats do garden's and look at this report for the long term

good luck
wealthydebates.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I started a thread last year about not being able to get a job.

somebody posted stop looking for a job and make opportunities come to you for what you know.

I listed out everything I did on paper then I craigelisted things I did. I have been getting phone calls ever since. Even today I got one to come paint a 2 bedroom apartment.

I helped people with Aquaponic setups, Discounted DAV services, Painting, computer installation of programs.

I am also doing seminars on Collegial Interactive Communication and Governance.

The skies the limit it all depends on you.

So go for it!

edit on 28-8-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Get a job as a dishwasher in a restaurant.

Not a hard job to find, and it sucks, but pays.
If you need a job fairly quick, that would be the direction I would be looking in if I were you.

A lack of DL will screw you out of the other jobs I would of suggested.

Also a good way to find a job is to volunteer for a local soup kitchen and get to know the other people who volunteer there.
Sometimes it is how and who you meet that helps the most with finding fast jobs.
edit on 28-8-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Ahh .. ok had thought you still had your sailboat .. what about signing on as crew on one ? not sure about these days .. but years ago there were people with sailboats in the tourist trade that would hire also people doing international sailing used to hire at times as well ..

Good luck hope that you find something and get another sailboat ..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join