It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 years without a 'real' job...who will hire me?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I've been doing my own thing due to legal issues and the urge to liveaboard a sailboat. Needless to say I am broke right now and need to find a job ASAP. I have managed to scrape by doing surf lessons and the occasional odd job and a little Ocean rescue lifeguarding.

Due to said legal issues I do not have a driver's license and need an income to get it re-instated. This disqualifies me from most jobs automatically. I have also been arrested(3 misdemeanors) which excludes me from even more jobs. I have military experience but my DD-214 is a General with Alcohol Rehab failure as the reason.

In other words I have no resume and a bad record. I also have bad social anxiety and come across a socially awkward which again does not help trying to sell myself.

Any advice besides going to a trade school? (not an option because no one in their right mind will give me a student loan, not eligible for a Pell Grant)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
You might need to get into recycling. I see lots of individuals get by daily and raking in huge sums of cash. I even know a few that has made it a career and seem to be enjoying their life.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Some people are born to work for themselves, not others. You may be one of these people. I have linked a thread in my profile which will appear below this post about ways to make money without 'the man' meaning no drivers license, and your arrests, won't matter. My credentials include being self supporting (no government, charity, or family help) for the 10 years past.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Find a fast food place in walking distance.
eff the record, don't even mention any of it.
Trust me, they wont dig into it.
just apply and harp them about hiring you every other day

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
with all of those credentials you can be a cop, they'd love you.

Seriously though, have you thought about orchard fruit picking/packing? That's what I always do when in need of extra cash.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
I've been doing my own thing due to legal issues and the urge to liveaboard a sailboat. Needless to say I am broke right now and need to find a job ASAP. I have managed to scrape by doing surf lessons and the occasional odd job and a little Ocean rescue lifeguarding.

Due to said legal issues I do not have a driver's license and need an income to get it re-instated. This disqualifies me from most jobs automatically. I have also been arrested(3 misdemeanors) which excludes me from even more jobs. I have military experience but my DD-214 is a General with Alcohol Rehab failure as the reason.

In other words I have no resume and a bad record. I also have bad social anxiety and come across a socially awkward which again does not help trying to sell myself.

Any advice besides going to a trade school? (not an option because no one in their right mind will give me a student loan, not eligible for a Pell Grant)

Behavioral Psychology

That's my best guess

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Sorry about your misfortunes brother. Kind of in the same boat (no pun intended) minus the bad record. I haven't held a real job since I got out in 2008, instead, I mentored for two years, did some school for that GI money and got sick and tired of it, and have written papers/done other peoples homework, and done odd jobs here and there for money. But now I am tired of doing that and need to find a real job as well, but I can put these things on my resume and don't have a record like yours. I hope you are able to find something and make ends meet/find a way to sustain yourself.

Here are some ideas I have:
1: Keep finding and doing as many odd jobs as you can on Craigslist or wherever you find them, it is still money.
2: Find and nab free stuff on Craigslist and other sites and turn around and sell them (this is actually quite popular and people have been known to make a killing doing it...I would, except I live in the middle of nowhere).
3: Maybe write some articles for websites that pay by the article, there are many out there. (I am looking to do this myself as a starting point into journalism).
4: Have you used/do you still have your GI Bill and are you eligible for the Post-911 one...it pays E-5 BAH. I am assuming of course your seperation did not take away that benefi, if it did, I would find a rep and appeal it. I have a friend that got kicked out for an alchahol related charge (refused counseling/treatment after an incident with a cop) and he had to fight for his GI Bill.

Hope these ideas help.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

I would likely end up with a felony record if some young manager pushes the wrong buttons with me. It will also be a good 2-3 weeks after I get hired before I get a paycheck. Not exactly what I had in mind.
edit on 28-8-2014 by jrod because: ed

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Trash day has yielded a few good freebies for resale for me in the past.
you would be surprised what people just toss to the curb the night before

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I've been lucky. Sailing is nice, not many have ever come as close to being off the grid as I have. I can live without cash but I really need to save up some money in the next 2-3 months and looking for a quick hire.

No GI Bill because I have a General Discharge from the military with 'Alcohol Rehab Failure" written on my DD-214....
edit on 28-8-2014 by jrod because: ed

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

I've been lucky. Sailing is nice, not many have ever come as close to being off the grid as I have. I can live without cash but I really need to save up some money in the next 2-3 months and have the need to find some steady income.

No GI Bill because I have a General Discharge from the military with 'Alcohol Rehab Failure" written on my DD-214....

Well, GI Bill doesn't sound ideal anyway as it will take time and you have to be somewhat "on-grid" but as I said, a friend was in a similair situation and fought for his and got it (though he refused treatment vice failing treatment). It seem slike you have a good grasp on what your issues are and I strongly advise, as you are advising yourself, not to take/do things where you know you are likely to snap.

It sounds like there are a a good number of ideas here combined with what you have been doing to bring in a steady stream. The recycling idea is great, I see people all the time who end up with a truck full of soda/beer cans by going through trash. As mentioned, I've talked to some and it is all they do.

How big is your boat? Maybe you can offer romantic day trips or adventure trips to tourists in your area?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

No kidding.

It is something I have to do in the future. So far I have yet to find any investors for my business ideas.

I'm looking to make cash ASAP, I'm running low on ideas and a bit frustrated that I will get passed up for a kid out of high school for the majority of available jobs out there....

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Your best bet would be to do your own thing.

Write an ebook about how to live your life on a sail boat and sell it on amazon.

Or write how-tos on ocean rescue...or on any of your other interesting jobs.

Start a maid cleaning service for the boats in your marina and other nearby marinas.

Rent your boat for guided day trips.

Offer sailing lessons.

If any of these interest you, let me know. I could explain further.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

a reply to: Ameilia

No kidding.

It is something I have to do in the future. So far I have yet to find any investors for my business ideas.

I'm looking to make cash ASAP, I'm running low on ideas and a bit frustrated that I will get passed up for a kid out of high school for the majority of available jobs out there....

There is that on the thread I authored. Many of the ideas pay immediate cash. I just counted roughly 13 ideas to make IMMEDIATE cash just in my post, and others shared ideas on the thread as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Without a vehicle, I have no way of getting scrap to the recycling center so that isn't an option.

I have been trying to teach myself how to program, though I am still very much a novice.

I need money ASAP so I can get another boat and relocate to South Florida where there is a lot of work available. All the sailboats I've owned have been borderline derelict but I've still managed to make them sell. It is a lot of liability to rent out a boat and I need a Captain's License to do charters.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

What about the other ideas that aren't scrap?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Can I ask what state you are in?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Thanks. Nice thread!

I've looked for writing and other freelance type employment via the internet. All ideas are helpful.

When I was younger I took having a car and license for granted as most Americans do especially how important it is for finding work. It is a completely different world without one.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

East Central Florida right near the beach.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Seems like to have a job is against your nature. Maybe you shouldn't fight it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join