It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. drivers brace for costly new gas tax in wake of climate change law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
First. I used the Search Function With Negative Results and I looked around and didn't see a thread, so I thought, I'd throw one out there.

Yes, California Motorist, Read the Title and Weep as if you don't already pay enough at the pump!

Californians already pay the nation's second highest gas tax at 68 cents a gallon -- and now it will go up again in January to pay for a first-in-the-nation climate change law.

"I didn't know that," said Los Angeles motorist Tyler Rich. "It's ridiculous."

"I think it’s terrible," added Lupe Sanchez, pumping $4.09-a-gallon gas at a Chevron near Santa Monica. "The economy, the way it is right now with jobs and everything, it's just crazy."

When gas prices go up, motorists typically blame oil companies, Arab sheiks and Wall Street speculators. This time they can blame Sacramento and former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for passing a bill requiring California to reduce carbon emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.

Now read the next part and Thank Al Gore and the rest of the Global Warming Money Thugs that own Four Home and have their Own Private Jets THAT You Have To Pay For!!

The tax on carbon already raised about $1 billion in revenue by requiring manufacturers and utilities to buy credits for each ton of carbon emitted into the atmosphere. At the beginning of next year, the law will also apply to oil and gas. Refiners and distributors say they will pass another $2 billion in costs on - largely to consumers.

"Ultimately it hurts the consumer," said California Independent Oil and Marketing Association spokesman Mike Rohrer. "It is going to affect anyone who has a vehicle. [u]Be it a motorist that is commuting back and forth to work or a trucker just moving goods throughout the state of California, the cost is immediately going to increase because whatever we have to pay for in carbon credits ultimately we have to pass through to the consumer."

California pays and pays
MODS: You can Move or Delete it's your's to do with as you please!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua

It won't be long before we will probably have gas prices at 20 dollars per gallon. If this happens a bike will come in handy.
edit on 27-8-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I just don't get it. How is this tax going to help with climate change. There is no going back and the money isn't being invested in technology that can help with anything. I really would love to be able to watch where each penny of this actually goes. Because as with any other tax it gets split up amongst other things that are in no way going to help with the issue. If there even is an issue. So who gets charged for all the emissions from a volcano going off. Should that country be responsible to pay a tax on all the climate change that is causing?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I'm so glad I'm moving out of California within the next couple of weeks!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
As a near life long Californian, that came from Europe were Gasoline has always been very high compared to 'subsidized' (by indirect tax-payer dollars' ) I'm all in favor of the added tax.

The US has always had low gas prices. This was so to addict us to cars and cheap shipping costs.
edit on 27-8-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IBossJekler

I just don't get it. How is this tax going to help with climate change.

Simple.

It won't.

We are being systematically robbed nickel by nickel.

The tax Houdinis make money appear right out thin air whether it's polluted or not.

They will tell you it's your fault and you must pay.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeramie
I'm so glad I'm moving out of California within the next couple of weeks!

Run, Yes run as fast as you can. Good luck with that.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Its all about the Benjamin's.

Not about people struggling to make ends meet. I'm sorry your budgets just got even tighter.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I just don't get it. How is this tax going to help with climate change.

That's just it, Not A thing is Going To Change,,,, Just some people are going to Get Richer and We're Going To Get Poorer!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
As a near life long Californian, that came from Europe were Gasoline has always been very high compared to 'subsidized' (by indirect tax-payer dollars' ) I'm all in favor of the added tax.

The US has always had low gas prices. This was so to addict us to cars and cheap shipping costs.

Why would you be in favor of paying more and getting nothing extra? If you really want to waste money you can send me money every month.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The people in California could decide to throw out every politician on the street if they wanted to. Just look at the pattern in California. They are a poster state for how to keep on turning the thumbscrews on citizens.

And the pattern of it is how they first started with one law that hurt. then 2 laws. Then 3, then 4 at a time. Still no one got mad and revolted. Now they are fixing to ban body armor and they have banned quite a few weapon related laws. They are slowly arming themselves in a quiet way, while making it harder for Californians to protect themselves or offer up any resistance.
Now they will Increase the taxes and turn up the rowing speed to ramming speed for workers in Cali. . If they get away with this one they will think of more ways to gouge people more there.
And after they do finally get most people disarmed, then what might they think of doing?

The pattern of hurting citizens in many creative ways has continued and grown exponentially. Maybe every California citizen is from Rio Linda after all?

edit: this is also happening in most every other state in the union as well, but Cali seems to be the test bed for severe tyranny and no representation for taxes at abusive and obscene levels.
edit on 27-8-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: added

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

And to increase commerce and jobs etc.

And gas has always been taxed into the ionosphere.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

There is no going back and the money isn't being invested in technology that can help with anything. I really would love to be able to watch where each penny of this actually goes.

Good points one and all,,,, Now look at the key figure who is going to get a lot Richer off this Scam,,,,, Does he and Tipper Conserve or use Green Energy when offered?
Their home or Homes,,,,,, totally energy efficient ?

Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

Do what he and his Rich friend ( thugs ) say, Not as They Do!

He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences.

Gore isn't GREEN

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Not only are you in California going to be paying more at the Pump,,,, But didn't your Governor just Officially Welcome All The illegals in to your State as well,,,, how's you already failing Hospitals ( emergency rooms ) and school system going to handle this?
OH,,, I see,,,, the new Tax at the Pump!
Yes, You Pay and Pay!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Come one come all...

Welcome to the carbon credit scam action website !!!

Cap-and-Trade Program

sponsored by Al Gore & Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Underwriterstakers Express.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
I was reading the link you provided in the FAQ section and this may or may not surprise some of you.

13. Can a private individual register and open an account to buy allowances for
private use or retirement?
Yes, individuals are eligible to open accounts as a general market participant to
acquire, hold, and retire compliance instruments. Individuals must complete user
registration and following registration approval must apply for accounts as a
general market participant (individual). General market participant individuals are
allowed to act as both required representatives on their accounts or may
designate additional individuals as account representatives.
14. I am a student at a university; can I register and open an account? Are
there requirements relating to experience, credit, or assets?
Any individual can register as a user and apply for accounts in the CITSS as an
individual general market participant as long as they meet the requirements for
user registration and account application outlined in the Regulation. There are
no experience or credit requirements for opening a compliance instrument
account as an individual general market participant

FAQ
YEAH, I'm just Stupid Enough to Open an Retirement Account with a Government Agency in California of All Places!
That got it's Start with Al Gore and Thugs!!

edit on 28-8-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
"Man-made" climate change is a fallacy... it is being used to control us. Period.

Changing this planet's climate is far beyond what we are capable of. Thank God for that!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Yeah, and you have people with these idiots way of thinking, by raising the price of fuel they force every one to walk or take public transportation so the roads are open for only the Privileged and Rich and Famous, we Little People need to know our Place.

Steinberg proposed that the state increase the price at the pump by 15 cents a gallon starting in 2015. That number would increase to 43 cents a gallon in 2030.
"Higher prices discourage demand. if carbon pricing doesn't sting, at least a little bit, we won't change our habits," Steinberg said.
Steinberg believes that the tax will force people to not drive as much, and in turn, decrease the amount of carbon pollution

gas prices

edit on 28-8-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I'd be for it if…

- It were nationwide.

- People actually get out of the crazy denial mentality that all the pollutants we put into the air aren't affecting our climate (and air we breathe, and our environment, native species, etc.).

Until both of those things happen we won't be able to make any progress (or regress, as it were), or be able to spend this money on any viable solution. Too many people are buying into the big oil (and other non-renewable energy) propaganda and fighting the corporate fight for them. Sad.

Fixing the destruction will not be profitable. That's just the way it is.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
I'd be for it if…

- It were nationwide.

- People actually get out of the crazy denial mentality that all the pollutants we put into the air aren't affecting our climate (and air we breathe, and our environment, native species, etc.).

Until both of those things happen we won't be able to make any progress (or regress, as it were), or be able to spend this money on any viable solution. Too many people are buying into the big oil (and other non-renewable energy) propaganda and fighting the corporate fight for them. Sad.

Fixing the destruction will not be profitable. That's just the way it is.

OK, that's Really Going to Work, Right just Tax Every one that drives and that'll cure the Problem,,,, Bull Sh$t!!
Did it cure the problem of people that Smoke?
Did every one Quite?
Did they use the money to find a Cure?
No!
As a matter of fact in the State with the Highest Tax on a pack of Smokes, Just how much of that tax money do they get and how much is spent by the State on the Problem of Smoking?

Massachusetts has one of the highest cigarette taxes in the country – $2.51 on every pack. Last year that meant $562 million in state revenue. The big tobacco settlement brought in another $315 million. However, out of the nearly $900 million the state took in from cigarette taxes and settlement funds, lawmakers dedicated only $4.5 million to anti-smoking programs this year.
“Right now the program is funded at less than 1% of what the state brings in in tobacco revenue,” said Russet Morrow Breslau, the head of Tobacco Free Mass, a consortium of health groups.

WoW, less than One Percent!!!!

Almost all of that revenue goes into the state’s general fund. Not a penny is earmarked for anti-smoking,

“You can’t balance the budget on the backs of smokers,” Breslau said.

Yes They Can and They Will, and you believe California is any different?
All California see's is Dollar Sign's in Tax Revenue, A Very Large Tax Revenue and they need this badly.
OH, The Link.
LINKY
No, they don't need any more of our money, what they need to do is, learn how to correctly budget and manage what they have already.
Like the Tax on Cigarettes, they said it would go to pay hospital bills and find treatments and cures and all kinds of Crap, they sold the General Public a Bill Of Goods and they Never Had Any Intention Of Curing the Problem, it's a Money Maker A Tax Revenue Creator!!!
So,,, Your, Global Warming and Climate Change and All That Will Always Be With Us, You What Me To Explain Why?

TAXES! Money in the State Treasury! We don't need to be Tax because of the Weather and Al Gore and his Thugs need an Extra Dollar.
They Don't Bother To Go Green, have you seen Gore or Tipper's Prius?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join