It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police shoot man after GSU officer stabbed near Woodruff Park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Atlanta police shot a man after he allegedly stabbed a Georgia State University officer Wednesday afternoon near Woodruff Park.

The wounded suspect was wielding an 8-inch butcher knife, Atlanta police homicide unit commander Capt. Paul Guerrucci said.

According to messages on the GSU website, the officer was near the downtown university when the incident occurred. The officer was wounded in the back, according to Guerrucci, and transported to Grady Memorial Hospital, along with a second injured officer, for treatment.

The wounded suspect was also taken to Grady, where he is in surgery after being shot in the lower torso, Guerrucci said.

Police shoot man after GSU officer stabbed near Woodruff Park

They are saying on the news feed that GSU and APD cops went into the Woodriff park looking for a homeless suspect drinking in the park. When they found the homeless guy, he ran from them. As the GSU officer chased him, he pulled a 8 inch blade. In response, APD shot him in the leg. Video is also available of the police shooting to show the homeless guy charging the GSU officer to "justify" the cop shooting him.

Perp was shot in the leg and is in surgery at Grady Hospital.

Again, another cop shooting, at least this time in the leg. Atlanta has a huge homeless population. HUGE. Tent cities. Still, another cop shooting????

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
May I just say how happy I am this LEO didn't shoot to kill?!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The difference between this shooting and many others is they STOPPED shooting!
Give them credit for that.

edit on 27-8-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Still, another cop shooting????

How many interactions with citizens do you think take place on a daily basis without shots fired? But those do not make headlines do they?

Maybe the title of your thread should be "another person attacks police, ends up shot".

link   
Its hard to make a positive comment here without being negative to all the previous LEO that made different choices.

It seems these LEO didn't agree with what we've been seeing lately either.

link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Exact, prop for them + aim the leg!

Give theses cops some medals ! Almost perfect police work !

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think most people fail to understand these police brutality incidents are THEIR OWN FAULT in that they have failed to hold the local and federal governments responsible for the actions of the police......
They have failed to demand better tactics and training from the forces involved...and they have failed to exert pressure in the appropriate arena to curb the actions of rogue cops.
Now its twice as hard to reverse the brutal trend.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Sounds like a justified and appropriate shooting to me. He didn't shoot him six times anyway.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This was mostly "shoot to disarm" type of engagement.

Not unlike few days ago where two police officers shot the man 9 times just because he was holding the knife. Cops should not get a feeling that they can get away with blatant shooting where mere many other alternatives could have been applied.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
The difference between this shooting and many others is they STOPPED shooting!
Give them credit for that.

Can't give them credit when 1. Campus police are policing when they are technically not on campus. 2. Campus police is just as heavily armed as the local police (and GSU also has a TANK). 3. If the police are so "trained" then why did they chase the perp for something as simple as drinking in the park after he fled?

Keep in mind Atlanta has a very SERIOUS homeless problem. Downtown is literally the homeless village, with the tent city going under 20 for at least 5 miles. Keep that in mind. As Ferguson was a social experiment, this too could be one with another attack on the homeless without dealing with the problem.

I doubt this makes national news considering all involved were BLACK (cops included). But then again, Atlanta is a predominately black city.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

Still, another cop shooting????

How many interactions with citizens do you think take place on a daily basis without shots fired? But those do not make headlines do they?

Maybe the title of your thread should be "another person attacks police, ends up shot".

ATS requires the topic be the topic of the article. That isn't me, that is the name of the article.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

As Ferguson was a social experiment, this too could be one with another attack on the homeless without dealing with the problem.

What happened at Ferguson was the reason I made that comment

As for the police being campus police...I'm a little lost on that. You have so many different types of police over there! Maybe someone could make a thread for us brits explaining the difference between Police officers and sheriffs and highway patrols etc.
Over here in the uk we just got....the police!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Just can't make some people happy, no matter how the cops handle it they will find fault.

This story does not belong in this forum.

This is for police abusing their powers......they did not.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

How many doctors heal people every day and dont maliciously inject them with poisons... But they dont get headlines either do they... So we should not report or acknowledge when a doctor does an evil thing, because you know.. the majority are really nice guys.

Got it.. great logic.

edit on 27-8-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

As Ferguson was a social experiment, this too could be one with another attack on the homeless without dealing with the problem.

What happened at Ferguson was the reason I made that comment

As for the police being campus police...I'm a little lost on that. You have so many different types of police over there! Maybe someone could make a thread for us brits explaining the difference between Police officers and sheriffs and highway patrols etc.
Over here in the uk we just got....the police!

Campus police is supposed to be a security type force on campus to deal with university related problems. Under no circumstance should they be ARMED. When I went to college, they didn't even have police departments or armed, and this was in the 1990s, and now they are just as armed as everybody else. But hell, our Forest Preserve Police is now armed.

Sigh.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

edit on 28-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: Forget it. I am too low IQ.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

edit on 28-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: Forgeet it Iz jussa dumb poleece offica.

join