It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone from Safelink came to my door yesterday about an obamaphone...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The lady was knocking on my door and offered me a free phone, naturally I was doubtful and told her I already had a cellphone.

She said "You could use it as a backup phone, you've heard of obamaphones, right? That's what this is."

Something inside snapped, and I replied "You know, I have a proctology appointment later this month,(not true) and obamacare is going to be involved. So, since the govt is already going to be up my butt in a few weeks, I think I'll pass on the phone, thanks."

I must admit, I was surprised by her professionalism after I said that and closed the door.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: schadenfreude

LOL!! Good reply to her! LOL!!
I had never heard of them going door to door. Maybe they want to make sure you have the newest spy chip in your phone? You know they need to keep tabs on us and all that......

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Greetings Schadenfreude...

I, being British, have not yet heard about the Obamaphone concept. Would you mind sharing more detail about just what the hell an Obamaphone is?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Greetings Schadenfreude...

I, being British, have not yet heard about the Obamaphone concept. Would you mind sharing more detail about just what the hell an Obamaphone is?

The US government gives free cell phones with a small amount of free minutes to use monthly.
They give them to the poor and or needy, or at least that is the only people they are supposed to give them to.

They are also a tool enacted by and used by the Obama administration to garner votes.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

In reality this program was started under george w bush. Js

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

They are also a tool enacted by and used by the Obama administration to garner votes.

Amazing how they named it the Obamaphone in the middle of the Reagan administration.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Let me give ya the social media viewpoint:

Idea

Reality

I'm sure ppl "meant well", but I've grown so jaded concerning govt ideas I distrust everything they say.

Most saw it (on the right) as a way to garner votes for obama with free (read taxpayer funded) cheap phones.

Personally, I think ppl who were gonna vote for obama were gonna do it anyway.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Its becoming mandatory in newer phones already, so you're right about that.

Iphone users have their location tracked & logged every 30 days. (look it up)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Obamaphone gives you anywhere between 60 to 250 free minutes a month to be used for calling/texting/calling and texting as long as you qualify for welfare benefits, ie medicaid or ebt. I personally dont think your reaction was warranted. a lady offers you a free phone and you cant even tell the difference between Obamacare and Obamaphones.
edit on 27-8-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

So what you mean to say is, that your government tried to offer you a phone, which was meant for those in desperate need, who have neither the funds, nor the credit history, to get a phone and pay for it themselves?

Well, clearly, since you have an internet connection, you did not need that kind of help! Why not just say "Hey, thats really sweet of you, but I have already got a phone, and I can pay for it. Why not try down in (insert name of local poverty center)? I am sure someone down that way could use it!"?

link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

How is me not trusting anything govt related (or not wanting to feel like a prostitute) looking a gift horse in the mouth?

link   

A sick "gift" horse could cost you a lot in vet bills. Definately look it in the mouth.

That gift horse worked out real well for the Trojans.

What does a "free" government phone get you? Nothing wrong with questioning freebies, there is usually something attached to it.

(just adding ... the reason I replied about "gift horses" is because TzarChasm was giving the OP grief about "looking a gift horse in the mouth". They edited that post to remove that statement after I replied.)

edit on 27-8-2014 by eeyipes because: clarification

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Is this a legit question?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes

A sick "gift" horse could cost you a lot in vet bills. Definately look it in the mouth.

That gift horse worked out real well for the Trojans.

What does a "free" government phone get you? Nothing wrong with questioning freebies, there is usually something attached to it.

looking at the op, i dont see questions. i see accusations and outrage over something the op knows nothing about. went from obamaphones to obamacare even though they are completely different programs.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Well... yeah. I mean, if you did not need that particular assistance at the time, then there was no need to mention a hypothetical medical procedure in your rebuff. You could have just said "That is not the sort of help I need right now.", or even asked that they (as an employee of the state) take a suggestion as to how to better distribute any funds from social programs, than to offer phones to random people.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure he knows the difference between obamacare and obamaphones. I don't see outrage, just a smart alecky reply and respect for a lady that handled it well. Nor did he accuse her of anything. She was annoyingly persistent after he first politely declined her offer. Solicitors that don't know when to bug off should expect a certain amount of blowback.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

accusations & outrage? Don't confuse me with urself, alright?

My reply was over the govt. intrusion on our lives. (Be it packaged in a phone, or intruded by MANDATORY healthcare that is unconstitutional.

And don't give me well judge roberts says it is constitutional. You can call a '79 Pinto a KFC meal, but that don't make it a two piece & a biscuit.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Ok, since you say its legit I'll believe you, here's my point:

I don't see these phones handed out to the needy, and keep in mind I LIVE here. Where I live, I don't see too many homeless ppl using obamaphones. I see the illusion of "help" but no actual evidence thereof.

That's the problem, always has been; ppl think the illusion is just as good as the real thing, but in reality its not. That's where we live today.

And this kind of thing is just fodder for the right. (I'm independent) Making the case for "entitlement mentality" while there are larger issues at hand that no one wants to REALLY solve. We CAN solve MOST of the world's problems today, I really believe that. But we won't, b/c of corporations & greed.

We have enough of govt in our lives, this is just another one we don't have to have, but its insidious b/c its "free".

And its really not, b/c there are strings attached.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

You know "Always with Wings"?
The Wings keep a strong grip to catch all the -excuse me- crap and prevent unwanted leaking.

Well an Obamaphone has big ears.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Obama phones will not allow you to turn the GPS off.

That's the only issue I currently see with this item. All our phone records are always documented. At least I can choose when my GPS is on or off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join