It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Die antwoord, zef....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
So,

I just discovered this group called "die antwoord". I live under rocks. I think some of you will probably have heard of them already. I did not and thought those like me would like to see some of their material as it is very stimulating and freaking cool.

They are south African and their main style is "zef". Zef is a South African counter culture to elite high class Africaans. It is musically a fusion of rap and rave music. Here is the wiki info on "zef":

The word zef is an Afrikaans slang word, which roughly translates to the English word common. Jack Parow, in an interview, describes the movement as "kind of like posh, but the opposite of posh." It differs from the Australian term bogan, and the British term chav in that it is mostly a positive term for oneself, rather than a derogatory term for someone else. It is also not typical of the poorest classes of the society, but rather a mostly white, lower-middle class subculture. Yolandi Visser of Die Antwoord is quoted as saying, "It's associated with people who soup their cars up and rock gold and #. Zef is, you're poor but you're fancy. You're poor but you're sexy, you've got style."

The word "zef" is a shortening of the name of the Ford Zephyr motorcar that was popular worldwide from the 1950s to the 1970s. In South Africa, these cars were often owned by working-class people, especially from the then-upcoming East and West Rand areas of Johannesburg (due to gold mining activity and the rising price of gold after it was de-coupled from a fixed price of USD 35 per fine ounce). The average Zephyr driver, while relatively comfortable financially in the 70s, was still generally from a more working-class than elite or highly educated background, so owners of these cars were given the derogatory description of being "zef" (Zephyr owner) by middle-class and more well-to-do South Africans.
en.wikipedia.org...

They are absolutely visually addictive. Their originality is pure. They turned down allot of gigs, contracts and other forms of cash making deals so as to keep their Independence. The male member of the duo was even offered the lead role in the movie Elysium. He turned it down. They broke off from their record label (Interscope)and then shot a video basically giving a huge middle finger to the music industry and their former record label mates and all the princes of music. They started their own label called zef records and released their next album.

I like them. At first their lyrics and style are hard to settle with. I dont like rap or techno music anymore. This is something new and completely different though. Its awesome. Their lyrics are full of profanity and that played out gangsta crap mentality. Its still cool though. I compare them to the early days of OI music. A working class response to a deep running social identity crisis and the rebellion that produces as well as a redefinition of what it is to be a poor working class white person in a world of supposed racial privilege.

here are a few things about them that paints a picture of who they are at heart. WARNING: they curse ALLOT.

vigilantcitizen.com...

They use many DJs. The fat guy in the video is not really a "member". LOL

www.youtube.com...=86

and thats them. I hope you enjoy.

edit on 8 27 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I like Die Antwoord, although some of their work is crass and/or disturbing.

This is interesting:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Yeah I learned about them last year!

Favorite songs:
"I Fink You Freeky"
"Cookie Thumper"
"Evil Boy"
"BABY'S ON FIRE"
edit on 27-8-2014 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Yeah i like Die Antwoord (afrikaans for "the answer")

i did a thread on them a while back HERE
The video's i posted there are down, i dont know why.
My favourite song is "Fock Julle Naaiers" (f*** all y'all)
edit on 27/8/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/8/14 by SecretKnowledge because: added video

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Nah, this is the best track........

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I never heard about the Elysium thing i thought Eminem was who was almost for the role?

In case you dont know their accents and image is a persona they made up. Look at an old "MaxNormal TV" (previous project) interview and you see them both dressed and speaking entirely different which in itself also seems to be a persona.

I love some of their songs and hate a few others. They are pretty addicting to watch as you say.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I thought I would post their new song and video. As usual its visual heroine. Its got a nice flow to it musically too.

edit on 11 21 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The music videos are crazy... really pretty cool.
But the music is terrible.

JMHO of course.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Yeah some of the songs are not that great, but the videos are what got me hooked. I do like some of their songs.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There was period in my life, I was drinking a lot, and longboarding a lot in Galveston, I use to listen to this junk music a lot back then lol.

Eventually the novelty wears off.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I was wondering how the hell they got Aphex Twin to appear in the video because its not something he'd do. For anybody.
Then i came across this video which answered it for me...

new topics

top topics

join