It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some of The World's Oldest Artworks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: eloheim

Very glad you enjoyed the read! I think the inclusion of prehistoric flutes to be most valid - i lifted this vid from my Recreating The Lionman thread...

For me, "practical" craft-work and Art are so close as to be pretty much the same thing - for the purposes of this thread at least - feel free to post some, please

Totally agreed regarding that much more accessible artworks must have existed but never survived - our picture of the past is always partial.

I love that we are changing our views of Neanderthals in light of recent finds, thanks for the contribution!

a reply to: Utnapisjtim

Thank you Sir, see above for a vid of such a flute being played

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Those are awesome, Punkinworks. My knowledge of the Americas is pretty sketchy and i was hoping others would help educate me a little and you have definitely exceeded that

Looks like i have a fair bit of reading to do, thanks for posting

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: eloheim

Since I had mentioned the flute in another thread earlier, I didn't have to search for pics and such. You can read more at www.abovetopsecret.com... there are a few comments and such further down the page

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
a reply to: InTheLight

Censorship from 'modern' archaeologists is known because they considered it 'indecent' and also there might be other censorship of those of an agenda, such as those promoting their agenda, for example various Ancient Egyptian pharaohs destroyed the previous beliefs for promoting their own, similarly many other religions, Christianity destroying 'pagan' art for example and those of conquering cultures destroying the art of the conquered.

As for those ancients that created art and their cultures, censorship of sorts was perhaps also part of the story as many were superstitious and there would be boundaries as to the representations being made for the purpose of inviting or invoking whichever particular response / natural element/ fertility 'god /goddess etc. was required.

Each culture would have their own boundaries and traditions.

Of course, censorship is imposed by those in power, what else could it be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join