It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Been raped? These websites/phone hotlines have THE SOLUTION for you!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
For those who have been victim to RAPE, sexual ASSAULT, or any type of sexual victimization tonight, or any night before, please know there's help:

RAIN:

National Sexual Assault Hotline - 1.800.656.HOPE

At any given moment, more than 1,100 trained volunteers are on duty and available to help victims at RAINN-affiliated crisis centers across the country.

How does the National Sexual Assault Hotline work?

The concept behind the hotline is simple. When a caller dials 1.800.656.HOPE, a computer notes the area code and first three digits of the caller's phone number. The call is then instantaneously connected to the nearest RAINN member center. If all counselors at that center are busy, the call is sent to the next closest center. The caller's phone number is not retained, so the call is anonymous and confidential unless the caller chooses to share personally-identifying information.

Why was the hotline set up this way?

When RAINN was founded, we surveyed the directors of dozens of rape crisis centers and state and national anti-sexual assault organizations as well as many victims of sexual violence. The advice was unanimous: The best support services for rape, sexual assault and incest victims are those offered at community rape treatment centers.

In the UK? There's help for you too:

In the year 2011/12, police recorded 38,100 most serious sexual offences in England and Wales, encompassing rape, sexual assault and sexual activity with children. Many more offences are unreported. Find out where to get help if you're sexually assaulted.

Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre freephone helpline: 0808 802 9999

The helpline is open 12-2.30pm and 7-9.30pm every day of the year, providing support for female survivors, partners, family and friends

Sexual violence is a crime, no matter who commits it or where it happens. Don’t be afraid to get help.
What is sexual assault?

A sexual assault can range from inappropriate touching, to a life-threatening attack, rape or any other penetration of the mouth, vagina or anus. It's a myth that victims of sexual assault always look battered and bruised. A sexual assault may leave no outward signs, but it's still a crime.

“Some people are afraid they won’t be believed if they haven’t got signs of injury,” says Bernie Ryan, a counsellor and manager at St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Manchester. “But that isn’t so. We don’t necessarily expect to see injuries. For the victim, the extent of the sexual assault is no indication of how distressing they find it, or how violated they feel.”

Need another outlet? You have one:

Survivors of rape may have a hard time deciding whether or not to report their sexual assault to the police. Rape prevention and counseling experts strongly advise victims to report the rape to the authorities so that their assailants can be brought to justice. While there is no way to undue the rape, reporting it to the police will help to stop the perpetrator from harming other victims in the future. Additionally, rape victims can feel a sense of closure when the rapist is brought to justice and convicted accordingly.

Rape victims are not required to report their experience to the police. Although it is unlikely that the district attorney will pursue the case without the consent and cooperation of the survivor, the district attorney does have the right to pursue the rapist even if the survivor chooses not to participate. If a third party is witness to the crime, however, they are required to report it to the police.

Don't let the people on this board bully you into silence, or to thinking it's "your fault" for being drunk or any other way unable to make a consensual "yes". Get help, don't be scared, people ARE there to help you. No matter what you may be told by others about your actions.

edit on 25-8-2014 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: 00nunya00

Your mini-profile says you're a professional button pusher. Many possible meanings, I'll pick a less than flattering one for now.

Would you care to explain:

Don't let the people on this board bully you into silence, or to thinking it's "your fault" for being drunk or any other way unable to make a consensual "yes".

If you were to tell me that many ATSers are ignorant, stupid, hateful, rabble-rousers, etc., you may very well be able to persuade me.

BUT I WANT TO SEE SOME EVIDENCE OF THIS. That's a monstrous charge you're making, show the proof.

You didn't need to make that kind of accusation to put up a public service ad with phone numbers. What's going on?

If you're right, I'll join you in driving for their removal, but show me you're right.
edit on 25-8-2014 by charles1952 because: Spelling, I'm upset.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

I just want to help people who have been made to think it's "their fault" for being raped, or to help anyone who may wake tonight/tomorrow to finding they've been raped. Let's leave the debate for that other thread.

Edit: this thread was moved. It made a lot more sense in the original forum it was posted in.

edit on 25-8-2014 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I support you in your efforts.

And to any woman, or man, on here who has been raped and finds commentary biased and hurtful, remember most people on here really mean well but not being abusive themselves may be sensitive about being tarred by the same brush. As a rape victim myself ( I've never said that aloud or typed it before...scary) I often feel triggered by comments but have to remember that our culture is barely out of diapers psychologically.

Likewise, those theorizing about a woman's responsibility regarding rape, please remember you can stop theorizing and get a good night's sleep any time you like, but a rape victim often just survives in a waking nightmare and healing is needed regardless of responsibility.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 00nunya00

Dear 00nunya00,

Thank you for the clarification. I followed the link to the thread you mentioned, I had not seen it before. I wish I had never seen it, and will do my best to forget it.

I can't imagine that I will comment on it, as it seems to be a logical and emotional madhouse. I can't even think of something semi-clever to say here.

Do you feel that your general position is more or less accepted by the women of America? How does the woman of America feel about Islam?

I still can't get over it. That thread is like watching a UFO turn into Mickey Mouse, then running for president of the Elks club on a platform of mandatory piano lessons for all Americans.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
S & F for making available some help to people who may need it.

You will get no silly comments from me.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
S&F
Just a hint, with any hotline, you may get a new trainee or someone who shouldn't be volunteering for such a hotline. It sucks, but it does happen more often than one would expect. If you get such a person, don't take it personal, call back again.

new topics

top topics

join