It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heaven's Gate and UFO cults (part IV) : History repeats, ad infinitum...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Take me on a Trip upon your Magic Swirling Ship

The Space Brothers Revisited

This is part IV in an ongoing series of threads about UFO cults. It's been s little while since I have written one of these threads, and initially was going to follow a linear time frame. I have decided not to follow this plan at the moment as time is short, so instead I shall simply post according to what I find most interesting.

Parts I, II, and III can be found here:

Only a few will be Saved: Space Brothers and UFO Cults (Part 1)
UFO Cults (Part II): the Big Weird - Scientology
The Brothers (Part III): Nation of Islam, and the Unarians

In a similar vein are the Gulf Breeze episode(s), which however are slightly tangential, and can be found here:

Gulf Breeze UFO Flap (Part I): Ed Walters, Photos of Unusual Clarity and Hoaxes..,or not...?
The Gulf Breeze Saga (Part II) : UFOs, the Gulf Breeze 6, and the End of the World page: 1

The mid 1990s and Millennial Madness

I remember the turn of the millenium quite clearly still. I was in my mid 20s in the mid 1990s, and there was a palpable air of excitement. Bill Clinton was President, and there was definitely a seedy, not-quite right air surrounding him, his wife, and various associates, some of whom turned up quite dead. the X-files was huge, Whitley Strieber was a household name, and there were conversation about black helicopters, abductions by 'grey aliens', just as the internet was exploding into a global phenomena. At the same time, militias were on the rise, as was terrorism, both domestic, and international. I have found surprisingly little information about the whole Heaven's Gate hoo-ha, so I think it definitely thread-worthy material.

So grab your X-files episodes on VHS, pick up your pager if you are a yuppie, put your Nirvana CD into the 32X CD-Rom on your Pentium 133, your huge 2.1 gb hard drive which you need a jazz drive to augment, there's a weird and bumpy road ahead.

Hale Bopp

On the 23rd of July, 1995, the comet which came to be known as Hale Bopp was first observed. Hale Bopp was a very bright comet, being able to be seen by the naked eye for about 18 months. Upon its discovery, the comet was still quite far from the sun, leading to speculation it would be very bright when it passed the Earth. According to Wikipedia;

en.wikipedia.org...

Although predicting the brightness of comets with any degree of accuracy is very difficult, Hale–Bopp met or exceeded most predictions when it passed perihelion on April 1, 1997. The comet was dubbed the Great Comet of 1997.

Hale–Bopp became visible to the naked eye in May 1996, and although its rate of brightening slowed considerably during the latter half of that year,[16] scientists were still cautiously optimistic that it would become very bright. It was too closely aligned with the Sun to be observable during December 1996, but when it reappeared in January 1997 it was already bright enough to be seen by anyone who looked for it, even from large cities with light-polluted skies. The Internet was a growing phenomenon at the time, and numerous websites that tracked the comet's progress and provided daily images from around the world became extremely popular. The Internet played a large role in encouraging the unprecedented public interest in comet Hale–Bopp.

Internet Madness, and the beginnings of the Whole Sordid Mess

A amateur astronomer by the name of Chuck Shramek took some photos of the Hale Bopp comet in November 1996. the image appeared to show an object very close to the comet. This object remained unidentified by his star-watch computer program, and consequently, Shamek called Art Bell on Coast to Coast and reported that this object was a 'Saturn-like' object, up to 4 times the size of Earth.

www.csicop.org...

Theories about a strange object near Hale-Bopp were first made public in November of last year when Chuck Shramek, an amateur astronomer from Houston, called Art Bell’s program to report that a photograph of his appeared to show a large object behind the comet, an object he speculated to be up to four times the size of Earth. The following night, Courtney Brown, a tenured professor of political science at Emory University and director of the Farsight Institute in Atlanta, was a guest on Bell’s show and claimed that three “remote viewers” associated with his institute had confirmed Shramek’s findings and, incredibly, had determined it to be a metallic object full of aliens. As further proof, Brown sent Bell a photograph of the Hale-Bopp “companion” (allegedly taken by someone Brown identified only as a “top-ten university astronomer”) on the condition that Bell hold off displaying the image on his Web page until the astronomer in question held a news conference. (Meanwhile, astronomers analyzing Shramek’s mystery object concluded it was a misidentified star, though Shramek continues to dispute this.) After two months of waiting for the secret astronomer to come forward (time also spent feeding the Hale-Bopp UFO hype), Bell decided to post the secret photograph. One day later Bell was contacted by Oliver Hainut and David Tholen, both professors from the University of Hawaii, who said that Brown’s image was merely a doctored copy of one of their recent comet photos, and they provided a comparison to prove it. The image was a fake.

If this reads correctly, the image was a hoax. A hoax of staggering repercussions. As to the appearance of Courtney Brown, and 3 'remote viewers', does it not seem reasonable to ask why?

A Gruesome Discovery

It's the 26th of March, 1997. according to an anonymous tip-off, the police come across a gruesome discovery thast no doubt still haunts some of the officers right up to this day.

www.history.com...

Following an anonymous tip, police enter a mansion in Rancho Santa Fe, an exclusive suburb of San Diego, California, and discover 39 victims of a mass suicide. The deceased--21 women and 18 men of varying ages--were all found lying peaceably in matching dark clothes and Nike sneakers and had no noticeable signs of blood or trauma. It was later revealed that the men and women were members of the "Heaven's Gate" religious cult, whose leaders preached that suicide would allow them to leave their bodily "containers" and enter an alien spacecraft hidden behind the Hale-Bopp comet.

edit on 25-8-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Who were Heaven's Gate?

The Heaven's Gate cult was started by one Marshall Herf Applewhite, a former music teacher who had been institutionalised in a mental hospital. In this hospital he met Bonnie Nettles, who was the nurse who treated him. According to Wikipedia;

en.wikipedia.org...

A native of Texas, Applewhite attended several universities and, as a young man, served in the United States Army. After finishing school, he taught music at the University of Alabama. He later returned to Texas, where he led choruses and served as the chair of the music department at the University of St. Thomas in Houston. He left the school in 1970, citing emotional turmoil. His father's death a year later brought on severe depression. In 1972, he developed a close friendship with Bonnie Nettles, a nurse; together, they discussed mysticism at length and concluded that they were called as divine messengers.

It is of interest that Applewhite's mystical CV seems to mirror others mentioned in this series of threads. Often a (self-decided) calling to be a divine messenger seems to be the criteria by which one qualifies to become just that.

Calling themselves Bo and Peep, or alternately Do and Ti, Applewhite and Nettles actively recruited people to join their movement.

What did they believe?

www.findingdulcinea.com...

Applewhite preached that he and Nettles were human incarnations of aliens and that he was an incarnation of Christ. Furthermore, he said that one day Heaven’s Gate members would shed their human bodies and move on to a higher level.

Applewhite ordered that group members cut themselves off from their friends and family, and live communally with the group. Life inside the cult was highly structured: members ate the same food, had identical clothing and haircuts, and were forbidden to engage in sexual contact. Applewhite had himself castrated, as did five of the members who would commit suicide.

Up until a point, they don't seem dissimilar to other groups. Whether it's the magical TV set by which Guy Ballard could view Venus in the I AM Activity, the channeling (of course the channeling!) of the Aetherius Society, the Mother Wheel of the Nation of Islam, or the DC-8 like spacecraft that Xenu brought his people to Earth (Teegeeack back then, 75 million years ago), it seems that just spin a fantasy, grab some followers who are as deluded as (or willing to pretend to be), and off goes your fantastical new religion.

Just in case it's not weird enough yet (and was it just a photo that's responsible for those 39 deaths?)

It is of note for those who subscribe to beliefs in ancient astronauts that;

en.wikipedia.org...

Another New Age belief Applewhite and Nettles adopted was the ancient astronaut hypothesis. The term "ancient astronauts" is used to refer to various forms of the concept that ufonauts[citation needed] visited our planet in the distant past. Applewhite and Nettles took part of this concept and taught it as the belief that "aliens planted the seeds of current humanity millions of years ago, and have to come to reap the harvest of their work in the form of spiritual evolved individuals who will join the ranks of flying saucer crews. Only a select few members of humanity will be chosen to advance to this transhuman state. The rest will be left to wallow in the spiritually poisoned atmosphere of a corrupt world." Only the individuals who chose to join Heaven's Gate, follow Applewhite and Nettle's belief, and make the sacrifices required by membership would be allowed to escape human suffering.

Was the (doctored) photo of Chuck Shramek responsible for the deaths of the Heaven's gate cult?

The group moved to a mansion in the San Diego suburb of Rancho Santa Fe in the fall of 1996. It was here that Applewhite decided that the group was destined to be carried away to the next level in a spacecraft traveling behind the Hale-Bopp comet, which would be visible to them in March 1997.

On March 19, Applewhite produced a videotape explaining why it was necessary to leave Earth. Days later, Applewhite and his 38 followers—21 women and 17 men ranging in age from 26 to 72—began committing mass suicide in shifts, a process that took three days.

Now there's plenty of other weird stuff that I don't have the time or inclination to put up. I'm more interested in seeing if there's a conspiracy/psy-ops angle worth looking at. Of interest is the fact that the surviving members of the cult still have a website, and remain in contact.

The convictions of the cult members is apparent on the group’s Web site, which remains online. It explains how their decision to leave Earth is not suicide and includes final testimonials from three members justifying their decisions.

The role of the Web site in recruiting and indoctrinating members raised concerns about the power of the Internet, which was still a relatively new phenomenon. One religion professor surmised in a 1997 issue of the Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, “Freedom from the physical body and the free reign given to the imagination in cyberspace … could have contributed to the cult members' decision to go the next, if illogical step. … It’s within the realm of possibility that Applewhite's ministry plus cyberculture was a toxic mix.”

Psy-Ops, or Not?

For a whole bunch of weird woo stuff, this website is worth looking at;

synchromysticismforum.com...

I'm personally not big on the woo woo, numeracy and Masonic angle, so I'll leave that for others to investigate. I haven't discussed things like the 'Nike' shoes they all wore. I'll leave this for now, and other members are welcome to take these ideas up it they feel it worthy.

Where my own interests lay, is in the idea that UFO groups are infiltrated, and used as a filter through which ideas and memes are propagated. Think 'Close Encounters', and 'Serpo'. Think Miragemen, Paul Bennewitz, and stories of alien bases at Dulce, New Mexico. Think abductions and probes by grey aliens.

It's possible that we may see this same scenario play out again. One can look at the comet ISON/UFO theories, 2012 madness, and any other opportunity for a meme to go viral.Perhaps internet message boards are the petri dish in which the culture is prepped and propagated.
edit on 25-8-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Nice thread, thanks for the detailed description.

I remember being fascinated by these guys when it all came down, and doing a lot of reading into Applewhite and the various groups that he had been associated with since the 1970s. Always small, always meeting in obscure campgrounds and other places, and always with the misplaced delusion that he was, somehow, special. As I recall, Bonnie Nettles died of cancer in the late 1980s, which surely should have been a sign to their followers that they weren't who they claimed to be.

May he and those that he duped into killing themselves, for no reason at all, rest in peace.

ETA: Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth (Before It Is Recycled)

edit on 25-8-2014 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Mental sickness is one of the most dangerous diseases that plagues humanity. Part of the danger resides in the fact that if a person believes something strong enough, they can convince others to believe also. People want to be a part of something special – something that sets them apart from the rest of society.

The allure of feeling special appeals to a lot of people, which is also one of the factors that induce people to join secret societies.

Unfortunately, to be a part of something so grandiose is typically too good to be true. Movies, television, books, and comics make many people feel like they can be something more than they are if they just want it bad enough. This is not the reality of the universe.

The universe is a very cold and callous place – and unfortunately I think this is the reason so many people have these psychotic snaps – they cannot handle the reality of the universe they live in and so establish a new one in their mind; when that delusion is reinforced by others its danger grows exponentially.

Wonderful post – star and flag for you.

edit on 25-8-2014 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Wonderful thread! A very thorough and interesting piece.

It truly does bring to light the terrifying power of belief and faith.

Your links will take a bit of time to work through, and I may add more later. I'm very interested to read what others will have to add to this thread.

CdT

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Most humans are 'followers', and look for someone to lead them that can tell them what to believe in a way that resonates with their basic views of the world.
Cults seem to be extreme versions of things like the New Age movement, organized religion, Earth Firsters, and any other belief system that just hands someone a 'guideline' to eliminate the effort it would take to do their own thinking.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
well one thing that stands out, I don't believe Marshall Applewhite was in it for the LOLZ or the money, he and others must've really believed this delusion as they went as far as castrating themselves thats kind of a big step for something to believe in. I believe that this cult is unique in that way because I personally believe that they really did believe in what they were saying. Don't get me wrong here I still think these people were extremely sick and what Applewhite convinced these people to do was criminal but from an analytic perspective adds a different element on what happened in that regard. Great thread OP SnF.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold
I really appreciate this thread as it shows us all that in general all leaders and masters lead to disasters. Time for each of us to learn by our own efforts, mistakes and realizations. unless we are to travel on the ship of fools.

edit on 25-8-2014 by ancientthunder because: decided to add image

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

How come UFO cults and other UFO topics aren't that popular now? Why only the 1990s? What caused the decline of interest relating to UFOs?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Just making a guess, but it seems to me that most of them emerged out of the counter-culture movement in the 60s and early 70s, and… well, that generation is starting to die off.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Another great post Cuckooold. I have fond memories of the 1990s as I was still in the latter years of my youth during that decade. Everything seemed a lot more exciting and mysterious then because we still lived in an age before we were completely really globally connected. We were on the cusp of the information revolution but not quite there.

I do remember a lot of fervour about Roswell, Nostradamus, the Millennium Bug, a coming Apocalypse and of course the X-Files during that time.

It just shows you how people can get so absorbed in their beliefs that they lose all sense of reality. And ultimately makes you question what religion is really about. It's all in the mind it seems.
edit on 25/8/14 by mirageman because: typo

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I would say this. The decline of interest in UFOs was a direct result in the decline of really compelling UFO cases during the 21st century. So cause and effect takes place and consequently there aren't enough gullible people around to form a UFO cult.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have a couple good articles on the Solar Temple if you'd like.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
this mr. clean looking flunky was nothing more than a coked out jim jones who only commited suicide after church fees went unpaid

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
holy #, cuckooold, you are on a roll. nice job, man!

k, that synchromystiwhatsit thread is a total swamp, but the author did manage to collect some strong links to a sci-fi author who claimed he was used as the catalyst for an experiment conducted on the ufo community in general, and applewhite's group in particular, as well as to the PROMIS fiasco. here's some details worth pulling.

keeping in mind that this guy has already admitted to being a scheisty flim flam artist, here's the account of lee shargel, who claims to be the last man to have seen applewhite alive.

"[Applewhite) seemed to think I had been given a wonderful gift," Shargel said, "a gift of prophecy, and that my prophecy was outlined in the book."

Shargel says his connection with the cult began in December, when he received the first of four phone calls from Applewhite. Applewhite had heard Shargel on Art Bell's nationally syndicated late-night radio show, a fringe forum on the paranormal.

"[Applewhite) explained to me that he ran a cybermonastery near San Diego," Shargel said. "He called me three times after that, to ask about meeting me in Nevada at a conference there."

In January, at the Sixth Annual International UFO Congress in Laughlin, Nev., Shargel says Applewhite and 38 other cult members filled the front row for his lecture.

"They liked my way of looking at things," Shargel said. "They looked relatively normal to me, except they all had the same haircut."

Bob Brown, the conference's organizer, remembers things differently. He says none of the cult showed up.

"We had a camera mounted above that also caught part of the audience," Brown said. "The same people in the front row were the ones who were there every day."

On March 15, Shargel says, he was the last person outside Heaven's Gate to see Applewhite alive. Shargel was in Southern California for a book-signing and lecture at Heaven On Earth, a metaphysical bookstore in Encinitas, near the cult's rented mansion in Rancho Santa Fe.

According to Shargel, a sickly Applewhite attended, accompanied by a dozen other members. Before leaving, the cult leader gave Shargel a page of Egyptian and Hopi hieroglyphics, a picture of an alien and a tubular chime in a wooden case.

"We never saw any of those people in our store," said Cheryl Phibbs, the bookstore's owner.

After learning of the suicides, Shargel called the television networks and told his story. Hours later, he was on Nightline, telling a nationwide audience that Applewhite was dying of liver cancer. News of a possible reason for the suicides spread like wildfire.

Three days later, Applewhite's autopsy revealed no trace of cancer. But Shargel was in greater demand than ever.

During the following weeks, Shargel became a fixture on the airwaves. He spoke with grieving cult members' families. He analyzed Heaven's Gate's inner workings. He described the group's admiration for him and his book.

probable lies bolded for the reader's convenience.
but there's more...

In 1996, I wrote a science fiction novel entitled "Voice in the Mirror." It was a fictional story about the discovery of life on another planet...

I decided that the best way to get the book published was to make the slightest inference that it just might be real. Lo and behold, the NEW AGE publishers were beating down my door. I secured a publisher and a nice (if not small) advance check. I was ready to meet the world as a fictional Top Secret NASA scientist and holder of a PhD in Egyptian Quantum Mechanics...

I was asked to take part in an experiment. One that would involve my book and the story I wanted to tell. It turns out that NASA had been very interested in the UFO community in a way that I would never have imagined. They wanted to use the belief in UFO’s, or NEV’s (Non-Earth Vehicles) as they referred to them, in order to gauge reaction from that control group. I asked, “Reaction to what?”

They said they had numerous computer scenarios depicting the landing of a Non-Earth Vehicle in a public place under a variety of conditions and the outcome was always the same, chaos. They were now proposing a new scenario, one that could be postulated by me. Using my book as the foundation for this experiment, a lecture series with undeniable photos and supporting information supplied by others, I embarked on this seemingly preposterous endeavor.

The book was completed and an unsuspecting New Age publisher was found to publish the book. Now I needed to embark on a book and lecture tour. It was decided that a dress rehearsal was required so I was booked into a UFO convention in Philadelphia.

I was given a series of photos and three poster sized images of a UFO that supposedly was taken by a P-51 Mustang search plane out of Roswell, New Mexico. I was also given a set of NASA credentials proving that I was indeed, Doctor Lee Shargel. To my utter astonishment, I was a smash at the convention. My next foray into the world of UFO’s was as the featured guest on Art Bell’s Coast to Coast radio broadcast where I informed the world that an extra-terrestrial probe was accompanying the Hale-Bopp comet as it flew by planet earth in 1997.

The coup-de-grace was my being booked as the primary speaker at the largest meeting of UFO believers in the world. The International UFO Congress convention in Laughlin, Nevada. My preparations for a lecture was nothing less than spectacular. My friends at NASA, Goddard and the DOD were also there and later applauded my convincing presentation. They assured me that the experiment was yielding an immense amount of data. I continued with this charade until the unexpected occurred. The Heaven’s Gate cult suicides. At that point I was told that the experiment was a complete success. Then I was dropped like a hot potato.

My efforts to contact the people who had been, so to speak, handling me had vanished. It was as if they never existed. I tried everything to get an audience with them but I was told, “No one by that name is employed here.” I eventually gave up and made the decision to abandon any future forays into the world of UFO’s. I am still writing books and have had some success writing screenplays for motion pictures. I often wonder though, what experiments are being played out now, where and why?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
here's the other, and to my thinking, way more sobering connection. to the nsa. again.

Coincidentally, three members of the Heaven’s Gate “away team” worked for Advanced Development Group, Inc. (ADG), a company that developed computer-based instruction for the U.S. Army. ADG later became ManTech Advanced Development Group; these organizations have connections to the First Earth Battalion, a psy-op group formed within the U.S. military to allegedly handle extraterrestrial affairs such as abductions or contact through telepathy or remote viewing...

Well, it seems there's a DEFINITE connection of Heavens Gate and the information on their web site that connects to the C.I.A., N.S.A., Department of Defense, a retired Admiral in the Navy, and retired Generals in the Air Force and Army plus a San Diego company called S.A.I.C. that was convicted of FRAUD!

S.A.I.C. is the company located in La Jolla CA next to Rancho Santa Fe, that controls web site addresses on the Internet through a company called Network Solutions which in turn owns InterNIC. That's the company that controls information on the World Wide Web by controlling the addresses of all sites on the Information Super Highway...

[Former NSA Director B.R. Inman] who seems to be somehow linked to cover ups of UFO information, such as MJ 12, and a little server in Minnesota called Space Star Communications that hosts the Heavens Gate web site... When Bobby Ray retired he went to work in Texas for some software companies that specialize in security software.

(it's neither here nor there, but bobby ray is one sith lord lookin mother#er.)

Now, Spacestar.net is owned and run by a little fellow named Ed Deppe...I hope he doesn't join the BOOT HILL list of Clinton casualties for emailing me the following letter I'm posting on the internet for all to see... It shows that a missing piece of the Heavens Gate puzzle, is that the highest levels of the US government were somehow not only neighbors of Heavens Gate nearby in Sand Diego, but they also used the same little server called spacestar.net located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota which was chosen by Heavens Gate to host their web site... Now, it's a FACT that I reported in earlier articles, that search indexes like Alta Vista held a record of certain files from the Heavens Gate site that were posted last year...

In total the first index I ran at Alta Vista had 144 files from heavensgate.com which I indexed on March 27th 1997... I note that this index now only shows 111 files ... 33 have been removed from the Alta Vista search index... I also had reported, that certain key files such as the index.html file which is the first page you see at the site, was recording a different file size on the mirror sites than the file that was listed at Alta Vista's index... I also reported that the file named letter.html (which is the groups bizarre explanation for being AGAINST SUICIDE) was also different than the one listed in the index I had run on March 27th 1997 at Alta Vista... by the way that file has now disappeared from the Alta Vista index as of 4/8/1997...

Now that heavensgate.com is back on line (Ed Deppe the owner of the server admits he took site down on March 27th 1997 see interview below) you can now view the dates that these files were modified. The index.html file shows it was modified on April 3rd ... the group is dead so who is changing it... Ed Deppe says he can't say... see email letter below... Now, most importantly is the FACT that when you go to the letter.html file which is titled Our Position AGAINST SUICIDE... It shows the file was modified on March 20th 1997 or about when the group started on their voyage home... Which is EXACTLY what I reported earlier in my articles about how files from Heavens Gate had appeared to be altered...

Now, Ed Deppe admits US government agencies have been in touch with him concerning Heavens Gate... But, he can't give specifics...Ed Deppe says he doesn't know what S.A.I.C. is... However, Ed Deppe admits that good old boy B. R. Inman is a client of his, so he can't release any information about his contacts with old Bobby Ray...

Many in the internet community questioned WHY would Heavens Gate a southern California company, choose spacestar.net of Minnesota as a server... The real question is WHY does Bobby Ray former director of the C.I.A. appear to be a client of theirs also???? I believe you can now add 39 more bodies to the BOOT HILL list and let's just see how long it takes Ed Deppe and or Bobby Ray to join the list of individuals who died from Arkancide...

edit on 25-8-2014 by ATODASO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

I would say this. The decline of interest in UFOs was a direct result in the decline of really compelling UFO cases during the 21st century. So cause and effect takes place and consequently there aren't enough gullible people around to form a UFO cult.

I agree, and would add the fact that information is quickly and easily accessed these days. Back then the subject held more mystery, because it was harder to get the info on this kind of stuff in the first place, never mind trying to find any counterpoints trying to debunk anything. And those of us who did use the internet in the early to mid nineties felt like we were in a much more exclusive club than nowadays, so reading and discussing this stuff on bbs's and message boards felt "underground", adding to the mysterious aura of alternative subjects and news.

It might just be me having become more cynical as I get older (I'm 36 now, graduated HS in 96), but it just feels like so many more strange things were possible in those days. Having any information you want 24/7 has definitely made the world a much smaller place!

Also almost everyone carries a camera with them now, and it's so easy to fake photographic evidence that we've been overwhelmed with obvious fakes and ones that are easily explainable or just dots in the sky that could be anything. Before camera phones picture evidence was much less ubiquitous and a much more exotic commodity. We were all just waiting for that ONE moneyshot that we just KNEW was coming soon.

edit on 26-8-2014 by jokerzwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ATODASO

holder of a PhD in Egyptian Quantum Mechanics…

"Egyptian Quantum Mechanics"? Kind of gives him away as a liar right there, lol.

I decided that the best way to get the book published was to make the slightest inference that it just might be real. Lo and behold, the NEW AGE publishers were beating down my door. I secured a publisher and a nice (if not small) advance check. I was ready to meet the world as a fictional Top Secret NASA scientist and holder of a PhD in Egyptian Quantum Mechanics. (That degree was made up in a pinch, but it, too, worked) I got an agent and a manager who were only to eager to cash in on the UFO craze. (Abduct My Wallet: Confessions of a UFO Hoaxer by Lee Shargel)

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

An excellent summary of those sad events. Hopefully people will now realize why some of us are adamant in exposing doomsday hoaxes like 2012 or the Comet Elenin scare. Doom porn and/or cult-think can lead to death. It's a fact.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen
a reply to: ATODASO

holder of a PhD in Egyptian Quantum Mechanics…

"Egyptian Quantum Mechanics"? Kind of gives him away as a liar right there, lol.

what if that was the point?

let's say you were running a little experiment, or running a pseudo-experiment to cover the real experiment, maybe this is the guy you'd choose for one of the public faces? a mediocre hack who is willing to lie himself blue isn't going to be believed by anyone after the fact, but will still have served his purpose.

shades of ray palmer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join