It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Group Cause DDoS Attacks and Bomb Threats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Rushed the title cause I just wanna report this!

A group (or person) known as the Lizard Squad have been causing quite a stir of trouble today (twitter.com...)

First they began to DDoS Sony's Playstation Network today preventing users from using services like Netflix, the PlayStation Store, and other online services.

Then they decided to post this:

i738.photobucket.com...

The result had caused the plane to be redirected and searched.
On their twitter page you can see retweets of other people who were on the plane.

The target for their bomb threat was John Smedley the current President of Sony Online Entertainment.

John later stated

Yes. My plane was diverted. Not going to discuss more than that. Justice will find these guys.

John's twitter account: twitter.com...

It seems that the Lizard Squad has also been targeting Xbox's servers.

But what was really disturbing was when they posted this followed by an image of the ISIS flag:

Today we planted the ISIS flag on @Sony's servers #ISIS #jihad

twitter.com...

For any other posts just go to their twitter which I had already linked.

To me, I think that the people behind this group are just kids who discovered a few tricks on the internet.
I have seen many groups of people who caused a large amount of mischief with DDoS attacks and such. But never have they gone as far as causing a flight to be diverted due to a bomb threat.
I will try to update this thread with any new updates/events from these guys.

Here are a few articles:

www.escapistmagazine.com...

www.ign.com...

www.polygon.com...
From the article above:

An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed to The Arizona Republic that Flight 362 was diverted for security reasons. KPNX-TV also reported the FBI was investigating the threat.

edit on 24-8-2014 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Probably not kids, more likely those wanting to restrict our internet rights.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I experienced this earlier today trying to play my playstation and failing to sign. Then I got on then was disconnected a little bit later and haven't tried to get back on. I looked it up and saw that psn got hit by a ddos and went down for maintenance. Surprised it just got posted.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Been looking into this. Found that many were saying, probably why at first there wasn't much info, to not feed their troll cause-not talk about them. Being able to ignore them won't happen now with these developments. The other thing pointed out by commentary claims, was that they were DDoSing to show rich gaming companies that they need better anti DDoS measures. Other was that attacks were for VBloggers, as well effectively making it harder for everyone else, through DDoSing games. With the current news, of course, they stepped into more risky territory. Perhaps a test to see how far they can go for other nefarious reasons?

To add: Blizzard has been affected about 4 days now, also, GW2, LOL, etc.
edit on 24-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I've been keeping an eye on this since last night. I was playing WoW and we were getting some serious server lag. When I checked their twitter account last night, Lizard Squad had about 4000 followers, now it has just under 30k.

If you look through their posts you will also see references about islam and hoisting the ISIS flag on sony servers.

Judging from the comments, it sounds like some punk kid, but considering this is supposedly the largest DDOS attack to date, it may be something more.

Blizzard, Playstation Network, etc., hit by DDOS attack
edit on 24-8-2014 by zombicide83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: zombicide83
I've been keeping an eye on this since last night. I was playing WoW and we were getting some serious server lag. When I checked their twitter account last night, Lizard Squad had about 4000 followers, now it has just under 30k.

If you look through their posts you will also see references about islam and hoisting the ISIS flag on sony headquarters.

Judging from the comments, it sounds like some punk kid, but considering this is supposedly the largest DDOS attack to date, it may be something more.

Blizzard, Playstation Network, etc., hit by DDOS attack

The conversation of "Oh, it's just a basement dwelling punk kid!" came up in a few places-such as gaming sites. A good reply observed was that a DDoS attack that big cannot be done on one computer nor by person or persons who do not have a lot of resources to do such. It's quite possible they are linked to a crime cartel to be able to fund having such servers.

Wanna go deeper down the rabbit hole, they are connected to LuLzSec. remember the connections to that? They'd have the means and reason to cause further crackdown on internet privacy and rights.
edit on 24-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: added more!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I've heard it could be done using a botnet. Most of the people participating in the attack probably don't even realize it. I really have no idea how this stuff works so it could very well be part of some larger group.

It's just that the comments made on their twitter page sound so immature, it just makes me picture some teenager who thinks he's too smart to get caught causing some trouble.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: zombicide83
a reply to: dreamingawake

I've heard it could be done using a botnet. Most of the people participating in the attack probably don't even realize it. I really have no idea how this stuff works so it could very well be part of some larger group.

It's just that the comments made on their twitter page sound so immature, it just makes me picture some teenager who thinks he's too smart to get caught causing some trouble.

Yeah that's what they were saying, likely a very large Botnet.
That's true it does with Twitter. Guessing that's how it will be presented to blame "unruly internet users" for cracking down on internet rights.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

WFAA

Posted on August 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM

An American Airlines jet with 179 passengers and six crew members was headed to San Diego on Sunday when it made an unscheduled landing in Phoenix due to a "security issue."

The airline said Flight 362, a Boeing 757, landed safely just before 2 p.m. CT.

"It diverted to Phoenix due to a security related issue, and the flight was met by authorities," said American spokeswoman Michelle Mohr.

Passengers exited the plane on the tarmac, were placed on buses and then had their belongings searched by dogs, according to Alexander Collins, who was on the jet.

FBI Special Agent Perryn T. Collier declined to say what security threat led to the flight touching down in Phoenix.

Link

May be this one...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
They've been taking down games all week. It's been a pain trying to get into GW2.
Most figured they were just bored teens trying to troll.
But, with them making those kind of posts makes me wonder if they are something more nefarious.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well if you haven't try it yet, it is up running now, I just checked on my PlayStation.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
well the guy bragging alot on the twitter even drop his name and place he live ... if real

My name is Brian Willson, I'm from Las Vegas NV. You think I'm scared of the FBI?

twitter.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Somewhere, there is an IRC channel full of angsty 20-somethings who are feeling quite a sense of accomplishment. These guys don't strike me as all that sophisticated — they're in it for notoriety. We don't know the exact nature of the DDoS so it would be impossible to judge how large the botnet required is but if you read through their twitter feed, they've been DDoS'ing quite a few targets over the last few days so I'd say it's either very large or they've come across a new type of attack.

They hit Blizzard's servers first and they've also hit Xbox Live:

Shacknews.com

Also, there is somebody saying they are taking credit for his work:

gamepur.com

edit on 2014-8-24 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo

The result had caused the plane to be redirected and searched.

Credible source needed.

All you have given is sources that are sympathetic to the alleged "group."

If you are claiming a plane was redirected, there will be a credible news media article.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: 00nunya00

there's one techcrunch.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Dolby_X

That gives no details, and doesn't give a source of their claim. It only repeats the info given by the OP, sourced from the same Twitter account.

I maintain that if this was real, the Twitter account would not have been active as of 30 minutes ago.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: 00nunya00

My apologies. I thought the twitter links I posted were enough of a source. I should have posted one directly to the thread though.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hey ISIS, I think you got the intel you were looking for.....Americans will go ape# if you take down the gaming systems....but I guess you are good to go on planes [roll eye emoticon insert here]

edit on 24-8-2014 by palmalBlue2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join