It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama signs $8.7 billion food stamp cut into law

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001
a reply to: sean

It does not make sense to start at the bottom though especially when the majority of the wealth and income is held at the top 1%.

How much of an effect can it make cutting off someone making minimum wage vs people making 30 million a year.

Part of it is cause and effect, jobs pay as little as they do because programs like food stamps subsidize a low wage. Then people take that low paying job because they can still get by.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
They should cut off food stamps and other support for anyone who hasn't had a job for more than 6 months.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProphetZoroaster
They should cut off food stamps and other support for anyone who hasn't had a job for more than 6 months.

You do realize that most food stamp recipients are the working poor? The vast majority have jobs.

Second, what would you do with the disabled who literally cannot work? Do they suddenly lose the ability to eat after 6 months?

Last, what would you do with the homeless who need to eat? Cut them off of food? Do you think they're going to just accept that and starve to death? The answer is no, they'll go out and commit crimes to pay for food.

The bottom line with food stamps is that it's a very inexpensive program that keeps prisons empty and reduces crime. Think of it as the cost of doing business. If you want to live in a society you need to accept the fact that it's the job of society to make people comfortable enough that they have an incentive to not break the laws. I forget the exact study, it was a couple of years ago but it found that every $1 in food stamp spending cut economic losses to crime by $5. That means that in the long run spending the money on food stamps results in you having MORE money, not less.

I'm all for cutting back on food stamp spending in order to reduce the corporate subsidy aspect of it, but that only applies to those with jobs. We still have that other 20% of the food stamp population or so who are kept docile by the fact they won't starve to death and that's an important consideration.
edit on 25-8-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Those that are on disability already get funding from the Govt. Why do they need to double or triple dip into the tax fund?

Working poor and those that don't work.

12 month max on Govt handouts, then they are done for 3 years. Have to provide proof of work or seeking work. Then after 3 years they can submit again for 12 month max.
And that is being very generous.

I am tied of working my ass off, so others can live.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

So Jpm Morgan, and the Walmart, and other retailers, and banks don't make as much off me.

And less GMO food will be eaten?

The problem is where ?

Glass half full people!

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: Aazadan

Those that are on disability already get funding from the Govt. Why do they need to double or triple dip into the tax fund?

Because disability payments don't take food into account in their payouts.

Working poor and those that don't work.

12 month max on Govt handouts, then they are done for 3 years. Have to provide proof of work or seeking work. Then after 3 years they can submit again for 12 month max.
And that is being very generous.

I am tied of working my ass off, so others can live.

And again, when you can't eat what do you expect people to do? I already posted my groceries based on the amount of food stamps I do get. It comes out to roughly 1100 calories per day. I constantly feel hungry... it just never goes away, but I've made the choice to not eat complete junk food unlike most people (cheap filling junk food atleast makes you feel full). When people in general start never feeling fed or worse start missing meals entirely for days on end what do you expect will happen?

Are you really ready to imprison 15% of the population because they're robbing people for food money?

If you're tired of working your ass off so others can siphon your money away in taxes why not work less hard? Offload some of that hard work to someone else and give them a portion of your salary. Then you have an easier time and they're not mooching. Sounds like a win/win to me.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Why doesn't he instead cut the defense budget instead of things that actually benefit the middle class?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

A virtually instant job creation bill would be to write a specific law to send all of the illegals home pronto.
Yep. Those would be low-paying jobs, but the illegals seem to survive with them and even send money back home.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: Shiloh7

A virtually instant job creation bill would be to write a specific law to send all of the illegals home pronto.
Yep. Those would be low-paying jobs, but the illegals seem to survive with them and even send money back home.

And how exactly do you plan to enforce deporting 20 million people, half of which we don't know the locations of? 20 million people who thanks to a deportation law will only be able to support themselves through crime?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

The fourth thing you’re going to see and this is what I’m going to talk to the ladies about – it’s what I call ancient hate, ancient madness, ancient revenge.

Consider yourselves warned and now bracing for impact.

so what is this ancient madness, ancient revenge for the ladies?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

On Friday, President Obama added his signature to legislation that will cut $8.7 billion in food stamp benefits over the next 10 years, causing 850,000 households to lose an average of $90 per month. The signing of the legislation known as the 2014 Farm Bill occurred at a public event in East Lansing, Mich.

I literally heard the price of Doritos chips and Mountain Dew soda stock plummeting....

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Cutting military spending is like trying to off the heads of a Hydra. Not matter how hard you fight, you just increase other aspects of spending. Black budget funds cannot really be cut since there is literally no oversight to our knowledge. That's appox. $58 billion and rising quickly. It would take more than a year to even figure out where to make cuts and at that point, the old budget is gone and the new one is in effect so the cuts don't even apply for the current budget. By the time anybody gets close to cutting spending, a new president takes office and some world crisis necessitates increased spending.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

Sorry, but nobody is stuck anywhere. Maybe if they would save up their money, instead of buying frivolous material things to impress their friends, they could move to where the opportunities are. You know, $175 for some Air Jordans is a little ridiculous when you can get shoes for $30 that do the exact same thing, but won't impress your friends much.

I am pretty certain that those living paycheck to paycheck have much bigger worries than Air Jordans. And they cannot afford the $30.00 shoes either. *eyeroll*

Fact of the matter is that there are people who REALLY ARE stuck - when their "frivolous extras" amount to food, and money CANNOT be saved because there simply isn't one dime extra to be had...in some cases, this is true even AFTER working 2-3 jobs.

In that scenario, with what funds do you propose people use to move themselves? It's America 2014 last I checked - people cannot simply take a backpack, walk to a new state (with no food nor money) and miraculously afford first and last month's rent - all BEFORE netting a job. Get real.
edit on 26-8-2014 by MoonBlossom because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Because disability payments don't take food into account in their payouts.

So, double and triple dipping is okay then??

And again, when you can't eat what do you expect people to do? I already posted my groceries based on the amount of food stamps I do get. It comes out to roughly 1100 calories per day. I constantly feel hungry... it just never goes away, but I've made the choice to not eat complete junk food unlike most people (cheap filling junk food atleast makes you feel full). When people in general start never feeling fed or worse start missing meals entirely for days on end what do you expect will happen?

And again, how is that my responsibility to feed you?

Are you really ready to imprison 15% of the population because they're robbing people for food money?

Most wouldn't be set to prison, because a fair amount of robbers would more than likely be shot, and justly so.
I will not be beholden to people at the threat of violent criminal behavior, just so they can steal from me via Govt to provide the same outcome.

If you're tired of working your ass off so others can siphon your money away in taxes why not work less hard? Offload some of that hard work to someone else and give them a portion of your salary. Then you have an easier time and they're not mooching. Sounds like a win/win to me.

So let me get this straight..
I should reduce my lifestyle, so that more of my money, that I earned, isn't taken from me to give to others...and life off of others as well??

You have got to be kidding me.

Yeah, I don't glorify, nor do I condone stealing from some to give to others. YOU on the other hand do and that is where your moral compass has gone broken.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MoonBlossom
a reply to: poncho1982

Sorry, but nobody is stuck anywhere. Maybe if they would save up their money, instead of buying frivolous material things to impress their friends, they could move to where the opportunities are. You know, $175 for some Air Jordans is a little ridiculous when you can get shoes for $30 that do the exact same thing, but won't impress your friends much.

I am pretty certain that those living paycheck to paycheck have much bigger worries than Air Jordans. And they cannot afford the $30.00 shoes either. *eyeroll*

Fact of the matter is that there are people who REALLY ARE stuck - when their "frivolous extras" amount to food, and money CANNOT be saved because there simply isn't one dime extra to be had...in some cases, this is true even AFTER working 2-3 jobs.

In that scenario, with what funds do you propose people use to move themselves? It's America 2014 last I checked - people cannot simply take a backpack, walk to a new state (with no food nor money) and miraculously afford first and last month's rent - all BEFORE netting a job. Get real.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said save up their money. I've done it. I grew up dirt poor, and my mother and I didn't get any help because she happened to make $50 more than that magic poverty line of income. We lived paycheck to paycheck. You know what that did? Showed me that I need to rely on myself.

I went to inner city schools, and learned how the culture is. If you didn't wear the "right" brands of clothes (especially shoes), you were picked on mercilessly. I was, because I didn't. Material objects were more important than character. It's only gotten worse since the 80's

So, go preach to someone else. I've lived it.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
After hearing some of the wonderful stories, from a coworker that has a part time job at mejer, they could have saved all kinds of money, just by investigating fraud.

Did you know that ANYONE can use ANYONE's EBT card? it is not required to show ID when using it. At least not here. They will give someone their card, for cash. And when she tells me about the people buying cases and case of pop, steaks, and other expensive items, it really just pisses me off.

I was poor. Not even close to rich now, but I had to be on assistance for a year when my sons were young. I guess, because I had common sense, and cared about my sons eating properly, I made dang sure that that money lasted all month.

How hard is it to make ID required?

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Or how about the many of times I have watched as the young "couple" with kid in tout, has the male purchase beer and other things from his wad of cash, and then have the female procure the other items like diapers, baby food and other stuff with their SNAP/EBT card.

Got love it.

Welfare.............stealing from some to give to others for many years now.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Maybe people will start thinking before bringing children into the world with no financial stability.
Maybe this will encourage the average citizen to pursue an actual career, not just burger flipping.
Maybe this will let the average, everyday person know that there shouldn't be any hand outs.

Doubt it though.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: blindlyzack

According to every Progressive, this will just cause all poor people to resort to criminal activities and rob and steal from people.

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: macman
Yep, and so many other corrupt uses, it's ridiculous!

I have no problem, with people who use it properly. It's meant to be a stepping stone. You fall on hard times, cause we all know they happen, then you get help, while you work on PICKING YOURSELF BACK UP!!!

Don't tell me it can't be done. I did it. I found free computer classes. I had free babysetting, because I traded the same services with someone. I found a job. Things where tight. We survived, and are better now for it.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join