It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God need redefining?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

I've always thought that it would be more character building to make our own meaning instead of being told what our destiny is. Anyone can follow the leader, but it feels to me like you don't know who you are until no one is there to tell you which road to take.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
That is a cute sentiment, but I think that most people that use the word 'God' in a spiritual context are pretty sure they know all the answers.

I have found that when you really get a spiritual/religious person to sit down and not talk about the semantics and the cleverness and the rote things they learned as children, what they're really talking about when they say "God" is a kind of queasy feeling they get in their stomach. Like the kind you get when you're standing on the edge of a cliff but know you aren't going to fall. It's a feeling of "vastness" or mild vertigo.

But it's a physical feeling, in the gut. Something they later try to attribute to something grander or more profound.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Just a reply to the original question..

In a word.. No, God has never been defined to me.. the first preacher I ever respected was adamant that you heart would lead you to the right path to bring you to God.

Your relationship would always be unique because nobody else is like you, so how god would relate to you will always be a bit different from everyone else.

Big churches in my opinion got it wrong, this is not a one size fits all world... so why do religions try to be that.

So does god need redefining no, religions do.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Just a reply to the original question..

In a word.. No, God has never been defined to me.. the first preacher I ever respected was adamant that you heart would lead you to the right path to bring you to God.

Your relationship would always be unique because nobody else is like you, so how god would relate to you will always be a bit different from everyone else.

Big churches in my opinion got it wrong, this is not a one size fits all world... so why do religions try to be that.

So does god need redefining no, religions do.

redefining a religion tends to redefine its god.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join